Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Following distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so just (finally!) started daily driving my Model S, and I've run across something strange.

My following distance adjustment doesn't seem to work on TACC. Now, we're at the tail end of a very icy winter up here in Edmonton, so there's a TON of gravel on the roads. I spend most of my time highway driving, so I like to keep quite a bit of distance from the car ahead of me, especially on the highway, to avoid rock chips.

The highest setting of 7 on my TACC puts me close... uncomfortably close. Closer than the mid-range setting on my Golf R's adaptive cruise control - and this is supposed to be the farthest follow distance. It also didn't seem to make a difference when I changed the setting from the default 3 to 7, it's uncomfortably close no matter what.

Now that being said, I'm still on an older software update, it hasn't pushed me the newest yet.

Has anyone noticed this too? When I get the latest software, will it fix this?

Cheers!

I really wish the max follow distance could be increased dramatically! I find the braking to be so much more aggressive than what I would ever do. This seems like such as simple fix, and this has been discussed so often over the years.

What does it take to get them to listen?? I'm sure Tesla has folks lurking on these forums...

I'm on my second Model S, and I must say that unless they start making some changes, I don't see myself buying another one. It is just so frustrating that so little changes despite the fact that they have so many software updates.

Here's a summary of today's rants that I've posted 'cause I just needed to vent after almost six years of ownership:
Cruise distance too close​
Wipers beta mode still​
Can't de-select songs with a thumbs-up (need to change to thumbs-down)​
Stop the stupid cowbell​
No speed limit visible when in FSD (only current speed and setpoint)​

Reactions: sandman1330