Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folsom Supercharger to Harris Ranch Supercharger - Will I make it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will probably get more answers if you post your question in a different thread. You should first try entering your itinerary in EVTripPlanner or whatever that website is called. It will tell you how many kWh it will normally take for your trip, excluding wind. With a fully loaded car, and gaining 2,000 feet in elevation, I would think it's highly unlikely you'd be able to do 260 miles on a single charge unless you really hyper-miled it, meaning drove 55 mph the whole way. I would think you'd need to stop someplace to pick up at least 20 rated miles.

On a more general level, I think you should have a talk with your family about what to expect road tripping with the MS and how it might take longer, make a few more stops, but you're going to enjoy yourselves and not be rushing. If they can't accept that, I would either take a different car, find a place to stop overnight, or fly.

Completely agree, when it comes to roadtrip planning EVTripPlanner.com is invaluable. It takes into account many factors that are not apparent when only looking at distance on a map. Highly recommend it.

Well, here we are a year later, and this time I made the Northbound trip from Los Angeles to Folsom. It was an adventurous day today. Left Santa Monica with 265 range around 8:30am - with the wife and the 2 kids (ages 13 & 10). Stopped in Tejon Ranch SC, and left there with about 250. Stopped at Harris Ranch, had lunch on the grass amongst the flies, walked inside to the gift shop, came out with 254, and didn't want to wait 15 more minutes to get to 265, so we left, headed to Folsom. Well, I knew it would be tight, but wow - was it tight. Around 50 miles south of Folsom SC, I started driving as conservative as possible - and I warned the family that it's going to be close.

It was over 100F on much of the I-5 today. Headed East on 50, with around 15 miles to go, range indicated 12 miles. I started sweating it, and trying to draft off other cars. Around 5 miles to go I showed 2 miles range. I turned off the AC and apologized to everyone. Kids on the verge of crying, wife giving me unsolicited and unwanted advice I didn't ask for, let's just say it was TENSE. I pulled off of Folsom Blvd with 0 followed by 'Charge Now'. Made it the 2 miles to the SC and let out sigh of relief and a little smile. Wife jumped out of car and headed immediately to Saks Outlet for some retail therapy. Kids were calm and fine. Charged up a bit and went on with my evening.

Lesson learned - TOP OFF TO THE MAX at Harris Ranch if you're going to go to Folsom.

Also, a Stockton SC would be great. Please can we have one?
WP_20140830_001.jpg

Last edited:
Well, here we are a year later, and this time I made the Northbound trip from Los Angeles to Folsom. It was an adventurous day today. Left Santa Monica with 265 range around 8:30am - with the wife and the 2 kids (ages 13 & 10). Stopped in Tejon Ranch SC, and left there with about 250. Stopped at Harris Ranch, had lunch on the grass amongst the flies, walked inside to the gift shop, came out with 254, and didn't want to wait 15 more minutes to get to 265, so we left, headed to Folsom. Well, I knew it would be tight, but wow - was it tight. Around 50 miles south of Folsom SC, I started driving as conservative as possible - and I warned the family that it's going to be close.

It was over 100F on much of the I-5 today. Headed East on 50, with around 15 miles to go, range indicated 12 miles. I started sweating it, and trying to draft off other cars. Around 5 miles to go I showed 2 miles range. I turned off the AC and apologized to everyone. Kids on the verge of crying, wife giving me unsolicited and unwanted advice I didn't ask for, let's just say it was TENSE. I pulled off of Folsom Blvd with 0 followed by 'Charge Now'. Made it the 2 miles to the SC and let out sigh of relief and a little smile. Wife jumped out of car and headed immediately to Saks Outlet for some retail therapy. Kids were calm and fine. Charged up a bit and went on with my evening.

Lesson learned - TOP OFF TO THE MAX at Harris Ranch if you're going to go to Folsom.

Also, a Stockton SC would be great. Please can we have one?

i made the trip from Harris Ranch to Roseville on Friday August 15, 2014. I drove about 58 - 65 mph and averaged around 63 mph. I left with 247 from Harris Ranch at 4:31 pm and arrived in Roseville at 8:01 pm with 13 rated miles after traveling 210.3 miles, 65.8 kWh and average 313 Wh/mi. I did stop briefly for a 10 minute restroom break during the that leg.

As long as you drive slow, it is a doable leg but the supercharger in Manteca will help a lot.

Attachments

• Harris Ranch.JPG
    Harris Ranch.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 327
  • Roseville.JPG
    Roseville.JPG
    430.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Left Folsom SC at 1pm with Max Range 262. Made it easily to Harris Ranch SC with 31 left.

What was your average speed? Or what was your travel time between the two superchargers?

It looks like you averaged almost exactly the same energy consumption as I did and the distance between Harris Ranch and Folsom versus Harris Ranch and Roseville is comparable.

What was your average speed? Or what was your travel time between the two superchargers?

It looks like you averaged almost exactly the same energy consumption as I did and the distance between Harris Ranch and Folsom versus Harris Ranch and Roseville is comparable.

It took 3h 4m to go 207mi so 67.5mph. Keep in mind this was North to South. Not sure of the elevation differences.

Last edited:
I recently did Folsom SC to Harris Ranch SC coming back from Portland to La Jolla. I foolishly went to Folsom instead of Roseville because it was 1 RM closer and I was so sure mileage would be tight. That was really dumb because going to Folsom took me an extra 30 minutes from Yuba City (my halfway point).

Anyway, I left Folsom with 256 RM and set my cruise control to 65 to start. Then I rapidly determined I could change it to 70 (on this route you can only use cruise control a limited amount because of traffic). Finally about 2/3 of the way I jacked it up to 75. I drove in Range mode with the ac set to 74; it was around 90 outside.

I arrived with 35 RM left in the tank. So all my anxiety about not having enough RM was crazy. I think the actual miles are about 205.

I found evtripplanner to be very good and even when I set the speed multiplier to 1.0, i always seemed to beat it's estimate by 10-20 miles.

Some would say never is better than late, in this case, but I cannot resist...
"Travels from Folsom to Harris Ranch... and Back" A gripping and suspenseful tale by Willie Maket, edited by Howie Dodat, and with illustrations by Betty Wonte.

Stories such as these will become folklore as more and more SuperChargers come on line.