TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Font headrest angle adjustable?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Carl_Drogo, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Carl_Drogo

Carl_Drogo Member

I'm considering a Model S purchase (and canceling Model 3 order), but when I sat in the front seat the headrest felt too far forward. I couldn't tilt my head back comfortably and resorted to tilting the entire seat further back than I would prefer.

I probably should have inquired while I was at the showroom, but just wondering if it's adjustable and / or if anyone else has this issue? I've seen some posts talking about being adjustable vertically (going up and down), but I'm more concerned about it's angle and whether or not it's possible to tilt it backward / forward.

thanks

2. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Do a search for the guy that bent them back a bit to solve this issue.

3. drklain

drklain Member

Speaking as a guy who was in a collision 8 weeks ago where I was rear-ended, you don't want those headrests tilted any farther back. They work exactly as designed and protect you from greater injury. They aren't designed to let you tilt your head back...they are designed to STOP your head from tilting back.

• Like x 2
  4. anthso

anthso New Member

You will eventually get used to the design of the headrest. I did have the same question when I first got my Tesla and don't understand the reason why there is no forward backward adjustment for the headrest for such an expensive car. Other expensive car such as Benz S Class comes with the same design.

• Like x 1
  5. Carl_Drogo

Carl_Drogo Member

I saw a Youtube video showing a guy bending the Model 3 headrests. But I can't find anything about the Model S.

6. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I think that the headrest is designed to minimize whiplash. It's not unique to Tesla. I'm not sure what you meant about "tilting the entire seat further back than I would prefer", but to minimize injury or death from airbag deployment, you should be as far back as you could be while maintaining a safe and comfortable driving position.

• Like x 1
  7. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

I had both old and new Model S seats, the new ones feel like they would break my spine in the case of a rear impact when in the high position so I keep the head rest in the low position and I'm 6'1.
    I thought about it and came to the conclusion that its probably designed like that to save your life even if it does cause some discomfort

• Like x 1
  8. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Sorry mate. I forgot it was for the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  9. Carl_Drogo

Carl_Drogo Member

No problem.