Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Font size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, speedometer in an ultra light weight font, and obviously without usability testing!

How do we go about asking Tesla to consider a font size adjustment?

The mobile service tech told me that Tesla does have people watching the internet for feedback (for lack of a bug report form). So posting here might help.

Other approaches are (1) tesla.com support chat, (2) tweet to Elon (or via someone that Elon follows), (3) report a safety problem to NHTSA.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This question has been asked before but again. Is this thing on?

I have to use reading glasses when driving and it's not the greatest solution...
I have to lean up to my screen while driving to see the highway numbers on the map, while hoping the FSD doesn’t veer off. FONT selection is the answer!

Reactions: markc2 and OxBrew

I have to use reading glasses when driving and it's not the greatest solution...
I agree
It's now May of 2022 and still no larger font? We’ve only had ours since February and the small font makes it harder to learn how to operate this car.

I really think this is a serious safety issue for the so called saftest car.
My wife is seriously thinking of selling the 2022 car for this reason.
She also whishes there was user adjustable buttons for basic functions on the vertical side of the screen.
Requiring us to push or swipe 3 times for what normally be just one push of the button.

Make no mistake I am a serious Tesla fan boy, but come on.

Reactions: rducharme
My wife and I are also having problems with the font size for notifications. I am generally able to read the screens/map fonts. Some I have to work at a little. The notification/warning messages are too small, I cannot read them even sitting there as a passenger. Impossible to read while driving (either not there long enough or have to take eyes off road too long).

A vote for making font sizes (based on what the text is used for) adjustable. Also per user profile.

• Love
Reactions: Transformer
Making the font size adjustable is not easy to do reliably. Once the screen layout is settled for a given size and the data it presents, making the font larger means that the layout can easily be mucked up by longer data (just an example). I believe it would both substantially raise the amount of testing Tesla would have to do AND increase the number of bugs we all see. I base this on many years of software and UI experience.

When I first got bifocals (now over 70, so quite some time ago), I set the distance of focus of the reading part to the full distance of my outstretched arm+hand. I did that so I could easily read everything on the instrument panel of my plane. As a result, I find the Tesla screen text to be perfectly readable in all circumstances. The only down side is that, if working on something extraordinarily small (like electronics or tiny text) I need a bit of extra lens. I've found several ways of adding a diopter or two that suit me and consider the trade-off a good one given that I can see better 99+% of the time with just bifocals.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
They need to test all the screen layouts with all supported languages (locales). Supporting two text sizes would "only" double that. Improving their software test automation would help more than humanoid robots (other than for attracting engineering talent).

Wait until Elon turns about 50. Then, like the rest of us, his eyesight will go downhill and the logic of a bigger font option will become clear.