TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

food for thought: is tint worse for range?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Eclipse3EB, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Eclipse3EB

Eclipse3EB Member

A big selling point of tints is heat rejection. Your car feels cooler - great! You need to run your a/c less, which gives you more range - even better!

But what about in the winter when you might want the extra heat? Given that EV range suffers more with heating than a/c, wouldn't the range lost during the winter be greater than the range gained in the summer?

In other words, for those of us super concerned with maximizing range, aren't tints actually a bad idea (ignoring all the other cosmetic factors)?

o_O

2. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

You'd have less resistance from sunlight if the photons were absorbed instead of reflected. So, I'm thinking tint probably gives you a slight range boost. It's hard to say for sure though since the tint itself adds weight to your car.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  3. Fusion

Fusion Member

A warm coat. Free.

• Funny x 3
  4. derekmw

derekmw Member

You're right. You should tint it in the summer and strip it off during winters.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Assuming heat rejection works both ways, it should keep your car warmer in the winter because you'll lose less heat through radiation.

• Like x 2
  6. mwoody999

mwoody999 Member

We in Northern Colorado have 100+ degrees on handful number of days. Winter is not as brutal as in parts of Northeast and Midwest so I decide not to tint my M3 just like my two of the three other cars. It definitely helps a bit during winter when inside is slightly warmer than a tinted interior. But even if you lose 10-15% of range due to extreme temps, electricity is so cheap. You will spend a few pennies more per charge due to the lost range.

7. Eclipse3EB

Eclipse3EB Member

Hmm, I don't think that's the case. Don't tints work by rejecting solar energy and not radiant energy?

• Like x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Can't stand the look of a car without tint.

I'll push it to the next SC before going tintless.

9. Timmy T.

Timmy T. Member

I'm in GA 30 mins. north of Jacksonville - any shops that anyone can recommend for my M#?? I have no clue where to begin. %??

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

No it's all radiation (it's certainly not conduction or convection from the Sun since it's insulated by the vacuum of space).

Tints don't generally reject heat, the absorb light/heat but we're talking about stuff like 3M Crystalline films/tints which reflect IR (heat rejection). If it forms a reflective surface for IR and assuming it's not directional then it should trap IR in the car. You'll still get heat losses by other means, but in theory, it should stay warmer longer once you heat it.

11. tpatana

tpatana Member

Sir William Crookes might debate with you.

12. tpatana

tpatana Member

When sun energy is transferred by any other means than radiation, I think we have bigger problems.

• Funny x 2
  13. Point 3

Point 3 Member

Which is why I didn’t tint the glass roof and ordered the removable sunshade instead

14. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

You're in SoCal..

If you don't limo tint your car all around, the Police will think you are hiding something for sure.

• Funny x 1
  15. gambit48

gambit48 Member

The car still has seat heaters and those barely use any energy compared to heat from the a/c. In the Bay Area, the seat heaters should be plenty to warm you up.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

The tint keeps the cabin heat from escaping via the roof. I think clouds on a cold winter night is a good analogy.

17. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

My biggest concern with tint is my expectation to road tour a lot, and the uneven laws across the country. The Good Faith Constitutional Clause doesn't cover you on this, the legality of the tint isn't determined by the State the vehicle is registered in but the State the vehicle is physically sitting in.

Automotive Window Film State Law Charts - International Window Film Association | IWFA.com

Still, living in TX I'm not ready to live with the most restrictive state/provinces limits, because they weren't designed for this climate. Hopefully not being gratuitous about it will keep me from getting hassled and ticketed.

18. SSedan

SSedan Member

Car does not heat the interior to stop it from getting too cold, most of us do use cabin over temp protection.

19. StellarRat

StellarRat Member

Hmm...I just read his bio. I didn't even know that glass working is dangerous for your eyes. Makes sense. You learn something new everyday.