Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

food for thought: is tint worse for range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A big selling point of tints is heat rejection. Your car feels cooler - great! You need to run your a/c less, which gives you more range - even better!

But what about in the winter when you might want the extra heat? Given that EV range suffers more with heating than a/c, wouldn't the range lost during the winter be greater than the range gained in the summer?

In other words, for those of us super concerned with maximizing range, aren't tints actually a bad idea (ignoring all the other cosmetic factors)?

o_O

A big selling point of tints is heat rejection. Your car feels cooler - great! You need to run your a/c less, which gives you more range - even better!

But what about in the winter when you might want the extra heat? Given that EV range suffers more with heating than a/c, wouldn't the range lost during the winter be greater than the range gained in the summer?

In other words, for those of us super concerned with maximizing range, aren't tints actually a bad idea (ignoring all the other cosmetic factors)?

o_O

You're right. You should tint it in the summer and strip it off during winters.

We in Northern Colorado have 100+ degrees on handful number of days. Winter is not as brutal as in parts of Northeast and Midwest so I decide not to tint my M3 just like my two of the three other cars. It definitely helps a bit during winter when inside is slightly warmer than a tinted interior. But even if you lose 10-15% of range due to extreme temps, electricity is so cheap. You will spend a few pennies more per charge due to the lost range.

Hmm, I don't think that's the case. Don't tints work by rejecting solar energy and not radiant energy?

No it's all radiation (it's certainly not conduction or convection from the Sun since it's insulated by the vacuum of space).

Tints don't generally reject heat, the absorb light/heat but we're talking about stuff like 3M Crystalline films/tints which reflect IR (heat rejection). If it forms a reflective surface for IR and assuming it's not directional then it should trap IR in the car. You'll still get heat losses by other means, but in theory, it should stay warmer longer once you heat it.

No it's all radiation (it's certainly not conduction or convection from the Sun since it's insulated by the vacuum of space).

Tints don't generally reject heat, the absorb light/heat but we're talking about stuff like 3M Crystalline films/tints which reflect IR (heat rejection). If it forms a reflective surface for IR and assuming it's not directional then it should trap IR in the car. You'll still get heat losses by other means, but in theory, it should stay warmer longer once you heat it.

When sun energy is transferred by any other means than radiation, I think we have bigger problems.

o_O

Which is why I didn’t tint the glass roof and ordered the removable sunshade instead

My biggest concern with tint is my expectation to road tour a lot, and the uneven laws across the country. The Good Faith Constitutional Clause doesn't cover you on this, the legality of the tint isn't determined by the State the vehicle is registered in but the State the vehicle is physically sitting in.

Automotive Window Film State Law Charts - International Window Film Association | IWFA.com

Still, living in TX I'm not ready to live with the most restrictive state/provinces limits, because they weren't designed for this climate. Hopefully not being gratuitous about it will keep me from getting hassled and ticketed.

This post came up while I was doing some research today. First, let's talk about weight. A 100-foot tint roll weighs 11.5 pounds, 2.5 of which is packaging. That is a net weight of 9 lbs per 100 lft of 40" film (2 Mil Ceramic Film) . To tint all sides, windshield, and partial glass takes 14.5' of film of which roughly 40% is waste (see below). That means all in all you will use the equivalent of 8.7 lft of 40" film. That means we are adding .783 pounds of weight to the vehicle. That is less than the average disposable water bottle, never mind a refillable one.

The right film will reduce solar heat gain by over 90%. Really good films like Ultimate IR will reduce over 95% with a 70% VLT film. Forgetting for a minute of all the research and science. By blocking 95% of the heat that comes through your windows, how much do you think you are going to reduce the draw on your cooling system?

Research suggests that it helps in the winter as well. That research is powered by the major brands. I have talked about it with several people who know way more about the science than I do, and they are convinced it is true. I do not know enough to say.

Screenshot from More with Core.

tesla-tint-cut-board.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte