Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Football Fans: Have you done a "Tailgate Party" with a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
Just wondering... We do love to hit the Raider Games (I know we are suckers for punishment) and I thought it would be epic to use the Tesla for a pre game Tail Gate party. Can you sit with the Radio on, back hatch open, etc. for a couple of hours without running down the battery? Does the Radio use the same Battery Pack for it's power or do these have some type of standard 12 volt battery installed for the 12 volt car functions such as the radio? Any thoughts on if it would harm the battery to do such things on a regular basis?

Hey guys,
Just wondering... We do love to hit the Raider Games (I know we are suckers for punishment) and I thought it would be epic to use the Tesla for a pre game Tail Gate party. Can you sit with the Radio on, back hatch open, etc. for a couple of hours without running down the battery? Does the Radio use the same Battery Pack for it's power or do these have some type of standard 12 volt battery installed for the 12 volt car functions such as the radio?

You'd probably have to have the radio on for a few years to drain that battery lol.

Seriously though. You wouldn't even put a dent in the battery. There were some calculations done in another thread about how much battery would be drained with an aftermarket sound system upgrade. If you had something like a 500w or 600w aftermarket amp, an hour of that would be like .7% of the battery.

The radio and other equipment use the 12V battery for power just like any other car. The battery pack keeps the 12v battery charged. You have so much power in the main battery pack its near impossible to drain the battery by the stock radio. Probably a few months straight at least lol

You'd probably have to have the radio on for a few years to drain that battery lol.

Seriously though. You wouldn't even put a dent in the battery. There were some calculations done in another thread about how much battery would be drained with an aftermarket sound system upgrade. If you had something like a 500w or 600w aftermarket amp, an hour of that would be like .7% of the battery.

The radio and other equipment use the 12V battery for power just like any other car. The battery pack keeps the 12v battery charged. You have so much power in the main battery pack its near impossible to drain the battery by the stock radio. Probably a few months straight at least lol
Well right on then!
I wasn't sure.... I've ruined (severely shortened the life of) a couple of the batteries in my SUV from sitting with the Radio Playing one time too often. Regular batteries don't seem to like it (discharge/recharge cycles) Sounds like the regular battery in these is tethered to the main battery pack to keep it fully charged at all times? If so, that's awesome. This makes the Model S the Ultimate Tailgate Party Vehicle! I imagine we'd get a few interested buyers that way too... Never hurts to advertise. ;)