Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Footwell Insulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the temperatures now getting pretty cold, it's that time of the year when my feet are so cold while driving, especially at highway speeds, no matter how much heat I direct at the footwell it does not help.
Does anyone have this issue, or has anyone done anything to improve this?

There are a fair amount of posts on this issue but generally embedded in winter driving or heating threads vs just one dealing with cold feet/legs. It appears to be a general problem from my perspective. I mentioned it in this thread I started last year at this time (note it seems to be the same for the Model X and Next Gen Model S).

Model X Winter Driving Experience

There have been some creative fixes but nothing that really makes my lower legs toasty including settings, cardboard ducts, windshield and pano roof covers and me fixing my leaking drivers window.

I experienced the same and took my little Infrared camera plug for my iPhone during a longer trip. This is what I found:

20180102T170127.jpg

Sorry for the quality, it's a small Flir device with very low resolution. The red is hot, the black is very cold. Also notice the cold spot on the footrest, this is where it has a sort of plug that goes into the body to keep it at its place.

There is a cold airstream coming mainly from the hole where the Watt-pedal is bolted onto the headboard. There is a large hole there that the cold air is coming from. Also - but much less - cold air is coming from the hole where the brake pedal is fed through.

IMG_2416.JPG

I am going to stuff those holes with packaging foam to see if this reduces the cold air stream. It might now come from another hole.... there is obviously some space in the headboard where cold air can creap in.

Notice that the Watt pedal is made from plastic! Remember that when you put your foot down at the trafic lights!

Going on a 200KM / 150M trip in near zero C temps this weekend, so an excellent opportunity to test things. I have stuffed the hole with bubble plastic and put tape over it, in such a way that it doesn’t obstruct the pedal movement. Hope this is it!