Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Footwell Side Carpet Kick-Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JHCCAZ

Electrified Engineer
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2021
Tucson
This seems to be a relatively new product on Amazon, also on AliExpress for those who like to go that route.

They are flexible molded TPE (silicone-like) covers for the vertical wall of carpet that extends up the side of the center console in the driver and passenger footwells. If you have low profile floor mats, these walls won't be covered at all. If you have deep-dish floor mats, maybe an inch or two will be covered by the lip at the bottom, but most of that carpet piece will still be exposed. These covers take care of that and shield the carpet from dirt and wear in case you unconsciously rest your shoe up against the side carpet.

A buddy of mine with an M3P discovered that he was wearing a hole in his carpet, so we started discussing homemade and commercial solutions. I found a cover from RPM Tesla that looks good, and is available for MY now with M3 "coming soon". This looks like a fiber panel with a padded PU leather cover, seamed around the edge.

However, on Amazon I found what I consider a superior design. Unfortunately for my friend, currently also available only for MY - so I bought it:

ZQULOYO Concer Console Side Cover Protector for Tesla Model Y Accessories 2019 2020 2021 2022 with Velcro Interior Guard Floor Mat Black

Received today and installed, so far I can highly recommend this product. Even though I wasn't really wearing out my carpet (I tend to hover my toe over the pedal rather than let it rest against the side carpet), I think this shield will keep the footwell area cleaner and protect the carpet over time. It looks great and fits like an OEM part.

I posted a five star review on Amazon though it's not yet visible. Here is an excerpt regarding some installation trickiness:

The only caution I would give is that the velcro attachment strips (already fused around the edges of the back side) really, really want to grab the carpet! This is good, but makes it a bit tricky to install, especially on the driver side where you have to guide it between the accelerator pedal and the carpet sidewall while you're trying to get the correct position. It wants to grab hold of the carpet before you're ready. The passenger side was much easier as there were no pedals in the way, but you still need to go slow and position it carefully before letting it touch the carpet.​
I briefly tried covering the velcro strips with some tape, thinking that I would get it positioned and then pull the tape away before pressing it down. But the tape adhesive wouldn't stick to the TPE. I thought of trying to cut out a sheet of poster board, but I didn't want to take the time so I just worked with the product as-is. Just be patient and be willing to pull it back a few times and you'll get it done. I think if the manufacturer would provide a temporary pull-away cover strip over the velcro, it would make the installation much simpler.​

I would consider this another recommended accessory. Too bad my friend really needs it more but can't buy it yet for M3.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
IMG_4479.jpeg
Another solution if you don’t want these larger protectors or different mats - a Velcro patch from Amazon that can be cut to size.

A previous Mercedes I owned had a factory patch of vinyl in that area to prevent this issue, and there was no wear on the carpet at all after 140k miles. See below for a photo and link to what I used:

HUAYY 6 Inches Width 1 Yards Length,Sew on Hook and Loop Style,Non-Adhesive Nylon Strips Fabric,Black (6in x 1yd) https://a.co/d/bl9MpTY