Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For a P100DL is it worth paying for Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Michaelin Primacy MXM4 at no extra cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P100DL came with 21" summer performance tires and I'm switching to 19" wheels so the tires at least have a chance of surviving DC streets. As a part of the sale, we are doing a wheel swap to 19" wheels that were not available at the time I bought the car so my choices now are:
  • Get 19" wheels with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires at no additional cost.
  • get the 19" wheels with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that I will order from Tire Rack (for $911 and $841 after the rebate) to be delivered to the Service Center where they will install the tires on my 19" wheels. They will give me the 19" Primacy MXM4 that I guess I will take home and then try to sell (?)
So my question is should I get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 for no extra cost and zero additional cost or would it be worthwhile for my P100DL to get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+, even if it means I will spend about $850 on those tires and then go through the hassle of transporting the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires home and then trying to sell them for who knows how much.

By the way, this is the Tire Rack listing for the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and based on my research this seems to be the best ultra high performance all season tire. Does anyone have the 19" Primacy MXM4 tires in a PERF Model S? is it worth the expense and hassle to get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+?

Need to make a decision soon, so advice, and more important personal experience is very much welcome!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ing=V&cameFrom=selectOE&partnum=445YR9PSAS3PL

I would be willing to buy your 21's if you are intersted.

Thanks but the 21" wheels are already spoken for.

So anyone want to chime in about whether I would be fine with a P100D with the Primacy MXM4 tires or he extra $850 would be worth it to get the 19" wheels with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that I will have to order from Tire Rack?

Is anyone looking to buy from me 4 brand new Primacy MXM4 tires, preferably in the DC area? :D

Just curious if there's a reason you're not going for the Pilot Sport 4S? (The same tires that come stock on the Model 3 Performance?) Is it a sizing issue? (As in, "not available on the 19s"??)

What @headcase said... I'm looking for the best performing All Season tires and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ seems to have incredible reviews on Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
For what it's worth I'll be putting those on my P100DL eventually, but I may as well use the pilot sport 3s it came with until winter. We call them 3 season tires up north rather than all season. I expect with AWD you won't have any traction issues. These tires will also last waay longer than max performance summer tires (like 3x the tread life). If you put them on don't forget it takes a few hundred miles to break them in, you'll get slippage before that. If you do go with them let me know how you like them!

Reactions: DCEV
smart move downgrading to the 19's.
I am going to do that soon as LA streets have gotten wrecked with all the rain we got this year.

I am also hoping the 19's with 45 tires will save me from some side wall bubble damage, as i have already gotten 2, and they were not cheap to replace.

On a positive note, 19's i hear increase your range, but you will miss the look of 21's.

Reactions: DCEV
I don't believe the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have the quieting foam (Michelin Acoustic Technology) inside like the OEM fitment version of the MXM4, do they? Being as the Tesla cabin is quieter making road noise more of an issue, how would you value this feature in your tire buying decision if it is a difference? I ask because I will be buying a couple of sets of 19" all-season tires for a couple of Model S cars in the not-too-distant future and I too would like the best overall all-season tire available and I know that Tesla had Michelin add the foam to the MXM4 help quiet them for OEM fitment.

ETA: I think the independent tests I've seen say that the difference in measured sound in the cabin is minimal at best so maybe this isn't even really a consideration for most.

Last edited:
smart move downgrading to the 19's.
I am going to do that soon as LA streets have gotten wrecked with all the rain we got this year.

I am also hoping the 19's with 45 tires will save me from some side wall bubble damage, as i have already gotten 2, and they were not cheap to replace.

On a positive note, 19's i hear increase your range, but you will miss the look of 21's.

For the reasons you gave and others, I actually consider the 19" wheels to be a major UPGRADE :p I really wish when Tesla comes out with new wheel designs, they also offer then in 19" versions. Where I live, it is masochistically dumb to ride in low profile tires.

I just placed an order for the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Hopefully I'll have them installed by next week and I'll report back how I like them.

So who wants a BRAND NEW, never used, set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires at a great price? :D

I don't believe the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have the quieting foam (Michelin Acoustic Technology) inside like the OEM fitment version of the MXM4, do they? Being as the Tesla cabin is quieter making road noise more of an issue, how would you value this feature in your tire buying decision if it is a difference? I ask because I will be buying a couple of sets of 19" all-season tires for a couple of Model S cars in the not-too-distant future and I too would like the best overall all-season tire available and I know that Tesla had Michelin add the foam to the MXM4 help quiet them for OEM fitment.

ETA: I think the independent tests I've seen say that the difference in measured sound in the cabin is minimal at best so maybe this isn't even really a consideration for most.
That's why after my own research, I ended up installing Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season tires. Low Rolling Resistance like the MXM4, but apparently quieter and yet no foam. Foam may not be the cure-all some make it out to be. Coming from the Goodyear Touring OEMs with foam, I noticed no difference on backroads or highways.

For me it is a matter of safety. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is Consumer Report's number one rated ultra high performance All Season tire and more importantly it seems to offer better snow and ice traction based on my research and living in a part of the country where we get snow and ice occasionally I want the best available traction short of dedicated winter tires when I need that traction the most.

Also having a PERF Model S, it seems the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are better designed for performance.

Just about everyone who bought these tires on Tire Rack seem to love them an dthat's not the case for Primacy MXM4.

So from a safety and performance perspective, I felt the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are a good fit. Having said all that, if I didn't have a PERF Model S, I would have likely opted to save the extra $1,000 and just accepted the Primacy MXM4 tires.

From what I have researched online, I don't think the foam insulation they added make that much of a difference.

That's why after my own research, I ended up installing Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season tires. Low Rolling Resistance like the MXM4, but apparently quieter and yet no foam. Foam may not be the cure-all some make it out to be. Coming from the Goodyear Touring OEMs with foam, I noticed no difference on backroads or highways.
How are the Pirellis holding up? I’m needing new tires soon, and really want the quietest ride possible.

Are they still comparable or better than the OEM foam tires?

Thank you!

How are the Pirellis holding up? I’m needing new tires soon, and really want the quietest ride possible.

Are they still comparable or better than the OEM foam tires?

Thank you!
Without any formal testing, I've always thought that the P7s are just a quiet as the Goodyear OEM foam tires that came with my Model S. They still have decent tread left after almost 40k miles... I'll probably get close to 50k miles on the set. As has been posted here before, I wouldn't recommend anyone with a performance Tesla put these all-season LRR tires on their car, as they will spin on launches due to their harder rubber compound. But for non-performance, I find they work very well.

We have been running the AS3 on our model 3 performance and model X P100D and they are amazing. A little louder and not as efficient as OEM tires but they grip about as well as the pilot sport 4S. I used them in a few inches of Tahoe snow this spring when we had a random storm and they gripped really well. Highly recommend the Pilot Sport A/S3.

Reactions: UkrHog