TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

For all of you drummers still on the fence.....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lawsteve, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

3. ausdma

ausdma Member

Awesome.

4. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

I play guitar/sing at least every other weekend with my duo or trio. I can tell you I would avoid bringing a MS to any of my gigs... mostly because of having to park up front in tight spots to unload.. Monster magnets for curb rash and door dings... Not to mention drunk bar patrons coming out and pawing at (or leaning on) your car... I'm sure it will happen a couple of times where I can't borrow somebody else's car (my MS is my primary now) but for the most part I'll be trying to swap with someone every time I gig, or have my guitarist come pick me up in his minivan.

I didn't even touch on the wear/tear of constantly loading/unloading gear on the interior/exterior of any car I've used for gigs... which is going to happen even when you have your stuff in nice cases like this guy..

5. Tacket

Tacket Member

I play/teach/record drums for a living and have exclusively used my S for gigs in the 4 months I've had it. Thankfully I don't do the bar gig much these days, so I understand your concern there. I still get the "how can a drummer afford a car like this?" from time to time.

6. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Wow! More power to ya... You must be an awesome drummer with a great work ethic, come from money, or have a well paid wife.. :) All the professional musicians that I know (which are some of the best in Atlanta) drive minivans, trucks, or SUV's to haul their stuff around, and these are cars they aren't afraid about getting beat up... There's no way they could justify the car payment on a MS.... Nor would they want to... That's why I'm a weekend warrior... I like nice stuff too much to live like a struggling musician :) The only exception to that would be like Zac Brown who could pay cash for a dozen of these and still have enough for a mega mansion :)
    Of course most of the musicians I know have kids which are really pricey too- which I have been able to avoid thus far :wink:

7. Tacket

Tacket Member

Thanks! I have a very diverse income stream (all music related) and because the bank doesn't like to loan money to self-employed drummers (joke), I had to put 60% down so that makes the payment cake (especially since my gas bill before was $300-$400 a month). And I've done gigs opening for the likes of Zack Brown (well actually Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, etc).

8. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Brad Paisley's a good player.. I bet that one was fun (for a country gig) :p