Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone doubting buying FSD, go ahead and buy it now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not going to be $15 lol I’s guess more like $75-$100 a month plus. People paid up to $6k for it

i'm saying it's only worth $15/mo right now, in it's current incarnation. The price should go up as functionality improves.

The $6k price is based on the assumption that you'll have your car long enough to realize true, level 5, self driving with the ability to make money by adding it to the robo-taxi network. The monthly service would not offer the ability to put the car on the network and the price would increase as they got closer to full autonomy.

Reactions: Sg911
I think the only other "FSD" feature currently is NoAP,
That's only the case if you're a legacy owner that has EAP. Since about April cars without FSD don't have any automated lane changing ability at all. I don't really use NoAP (haven't tried with V10 yet, though) but I do use my signal arm to lane change quite often (which works even outside of NoAP's whitelist of roads).

That's only the case if you're a legacy owner that has EAP. Since about April cars without FSD don't have any automated lane changing ability at all. I don't really use NoAP (haven't tried with V10 yet, though) but I do use my signal arm to lane change quite often (which works even outside of NoAP's whitelist of roads).

Oh, I didn't know that. I have FSD. I thought anyone with AP was able to do the auto lane change upon manual initiation using the turn signal. I actually use that auto lane change feature (without NoAP) once in a while. I'm comfortable with it when there isn't too much traffic around me.

Reactions: SammichLover
to the people that recommend FSD - do you actually recommend it or are you justifying your purchases? Im guilty of doing the latter sometimes when I know im in the wrong.

At this point, FSD is a 6k loan to tesla
If you only have AP part of that isn’t true. For anyone doubting buying FSD, go ahead and buy it now

If you have EAP right now my understanding is a different part isn’t true, there have been multiple people saying they still have $3K pricing in their account to upgrade from EAP to FSB.

I’m not sure if I bought new again today that I’d upgrade from AP to FSB but I do know I’d miss the features and would seriously consider it.

I do expect I wouldn’t upgrade from EAP to FSD for $3K. I rejected that for months but, with no regrets at this point, quickly pulled the trigger for $2K. I’ve thought long about the potential you mention, before you or anyone suggested it (because that’s a real effect) but at the end, nope that has no meaningful influence here.

Last edited:
I wish this was it. The price is way to damn high. But if he really pulls of True FSD even 10k is nothing for a car that will drive it self.

Even if the car could drive itself I'm not sure how much I would use it. I don't have a daily commute (I work from home) and traffic isn't usually an issue around here. (with the exception of the odd accident or construction zone) So driving manually isn't that big of a deal. Plus I like driving. That's why I got the Performance version, so I could drive aggressively when I felt like it. So realistically the only time I'd probably ever use real FSD is on long trips so I could sleep or on the rare occasion I've had too much to drink and need a ride home. That's maybe once a year for both combined. Is that worth $10k, or even $6k, probably not.

Now if the car could drop me off at the curb and then go park itself. Then when I'm done come get me at the curb. That might be cool. Although even then I may not use it that much because I'm already overweight and need the exercise. Being that lazy would be tempting but detrimental to my health.

With the new V10 and testing smart summon (which I always thought as a gimmick and never thought I would use it until I actually needed to use it), I have become a believer. It will blow your mind.

If you ever had doubts about purchasing FSD, go ahead and purchase it. This thing is amazing and new features will be rolling out soon such as stop light and red light detection and AP on street.

Tesla is ahead of the competition by a long long shot.

I have no doubt they will raise price of FSD soon
I bought FSD and have sorely regretted it. Basically the autopilot features are halfbaked (and officially in Beta) and V10 delivered precisely nothing in terms of the promised ”automatic city driving”. Lots of hype and reality kicked in when i got my M3 back in June.
Being threatend with a price increase doesnt feel right, does it?

Reactions: MattUNI
i'm saying it's only worth $15/mo right now, in it's current incarnation. The price should go up as functionality improves.

The $6k price is based on the assumption that you'll have your car long enough to realize true, level 5, self driving with the ability to make money by adding it to the robo-taxi network. The monthly service would not offer the ability to put the car on the network and the price would increase as they got closer to full autonomy.

I think Elon will ask a premium even at current incarnation. I asked for a subscription months ago and hope it is a viable income for us short term 3 lessee’s

Even if the car could drive itself I'm not sure how much I would use it. I don't have a daily commute (I work from home) and traffic isn't usually an issue around here. (with the exception of the odd accident or construction zone) So driving manually isn't that big of a deal. Plus I like driving. That's why I got the Performance version, so I could drive aggressively when I felt like it. So realistically the only time I'd probably ever use real FSD is on long trips so I could sleep or on the rare occasion I've had too much to drink and need a ride home. That's maybe once a year for both combined. Is that worth $10k, or even $6k, probably not.

Now if the car could drop me off at the curb and then go park itself. Then when I'm done come get me at the curb. That might be cool. Although even then I may not use it that much because I'm already overweight and need the exercise. Being that lazy would be tempting but detrimental to my health.

You and I's car life is crazy diff, I drive around 2500-3000 miles a month. I would LOVE if my car drove it's self from one job site to the next. It would relax me on a whole nother level.

Take into context the rising cost of housing and how every freeway into a major city is now congested every day because thousands of people driving (Tesla's Included) have to live 20-30 miles from the city to afford decent housing.

All those people would gladly pay the $6k to get in their car in the morning, eat breakfast, watch tv, on the center screen, read a book, for that grueling 1hr+ possible 2hr commute.

It's people like us that FSD will completely change the world and the way we commute.

I use what is now a "FSD" feature everyday.....auto lane change with AP. Can't tell you what it's "worth", but I love it and use it everyday. I'd be irritated if my AP wouldn't do this. Real FSD as people expect it is certainly way off, but if Tesla can keep adding to the suite, that will continue to make the package more appealing. Funny, today sitting in traffic, looking all around I realized almost all of these drivers don't have AP and are having to navigate this garbage traffic manually. Poor suckers. I was very appreciative of my Tesla today.

I use what is now a "FSD" feature everyday.....auto lane change with AP. Can't tell you what it's "worth", but I love it and use it everyday. I'd be irritated if my AP wouldn't do this. Real FSD as people expect it is certainly way off, but if Tesla can keep adding to the suite, that will continue to make the package more appealing. Funny, today sitting in traffic, looking all around I realized almost all of these drivers don't have AP and are having to navigate this garbage traffic manually. Poor suckers. I was very appreciative of my Tesla today.

Myself and as others have mentioned...the only great feature missing from AP from FSD is auto lane change. I still dont understand why Lane change using the blinker isnt included in AP. I understand Auto Lane change without driver initiation should be apart of FSD but not the manual input. It really makes highway driving with AP feel useless at times but I am not paying $6k for 1 feature I want. Its too bad because at the end of the day, Tesla is leaving alot of money on the table from users who are willing to give them $$, just not the crazy amount they want.

You know how when you were a kid and you had an electric train with a short track, and the locomotive would almost touch the caboose? That's what driving is becoming in the Bay Area. It's wall to wall cars. Absurd as that is, it's what it's becoming. I had a run today where I was late, and then of course nothing beats being rude, (ab)using the wonderful power and punching through the traffic in manual ;-).

But other than those extreme situations, normal conveyor-belting in the traffic, whether it moves at 5 MPH or 75, it's wall to wall, like that train set. Automation is the only way not to waste your mind. Manually requesting and getting lane changes is fine, but why hassle with trivia when it anticipates and does it for you? The amount of babysitting the NOA system now requires is minimal.

I get the feeling many of the naysayers have never learned to use it. Or they haven't even tried it recently. It took me many weeks of adjustment, it's a different way of driving. Like flying a modern multi-engine plane where you work through the instrumentation, versus a single engine Cessna where everything is mechanical, and you're having to remember to lower the flaps with a squeaky lever. It's worth every penny.

Doubters, you'll find out in time, when more cars than not are automated, and you realize you could have had it all along.

Last edited:
You know how when you were a kid and you had an electric train with a short track, and the locomotive would almost touch the caboose? That's what driving is becoming in the Bay Area. It's wall to wall cars. Absurd as that is, it's what it's becoming. I had a run today where I was late, and then of course nothing beats being rude, (ab)using the wonderful power and punching through the traffic in manual ;-).

But other than those extreme situations, normal sitting in the traffic, whether it moves at 5 MPH or 75, it's wall to wall, like that train set. Automation is the only way not to waste your mind. Manually requesting and getting lane changes is fine, but why bother since it anticipates and does it for you? The amount of babysitting the NOA system now requires is minimal. I get the feeling many of the naysayers have never learned to use it, it took me many weeks of adjustment, it's a different way of driving. Or they haven't even tried it recently. It's worth every penny.

I have about a 45min to over an hour commute based on traffic, and I turn on autopilot as soon as I pull out of my neighborhood. Then, I use NOA as soon as I get on the highway everyday. This stuff is life changing for me. I don't get to work or home stressed out.

And I work in the DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area where the traffic can be god awful. Usually I avoid most of the worst traffic by getting in early, but sometimes I have to be in later.

Reactions: insaneoctane
If you don't have EAP, then it's worth $3K. If you have EAP, it's worth $0 at this point, and will be for probably as long as you own your current model Tesla. By the time FSD is truly useful, I'll be in the next model, and I have a 6-year loan. :)

I have about a 45min to over an hour commute based on traffic, and I turn on autopilot as soon as I pull out of my neighborhood. Then, I use NOA as soon as I get on the highway everyday. This stuff is life changing for me. I don't get to work or home stressed out.

And I work in the DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area where the traffic can be god awful. Usually I avoid most of the worst traffic by getting in early, but sometimes I have to be in later.
I can relate to this, except in the opposite way. I also work in the DC/Maryland/NOVA area every couple of weeks, but I live in Denver so I have to fight through the traffic in a rental car. I'm definitely more stressed after that drive than before knowing the my car is sitting at the airport with the features I use all the time at home to make my drive less stressful. I can't wait until I can easily rent a Model 3 from National when I travel - hope that day comes.

Myself and as others have mentioned...the only great feature missing from AP from FSD is auto lane change. I still dont understand why Lane change using the blinker isnt included in AP. I understand Auto Lane change without driver initiation should be apart of FSD but not the manual input. It really makes highway driving with AP feel useless at times but I am not paying $6k for 1 feature I want. Its too bad because at the end of the day, Tesla is leaving alot of money on the table from users who are willing to give them $$, just not the crazy amount they want.
Since when does AP not have manual lane change with the blinker? I was going to buy AP here in the next few months (FSD is pointless IMO) and would be disappointed if that feature was gone.