Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone doubting buying FSD, go ahead and buy it now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't know the state of Tesla's in-house software, so we can't predict the rate at which capabilities will appear in the "FSD" development chain. Also, automation is a gradual refinement, not a hard target. So, the question as to what to buy when should be a friendly and purely rational discussion. All the bitterness in some posts is bizarre, IMHO.

Until a few days ago we were hearing raucous laughter mocking the advanced summon that doesn't exist. Well, it exists, and it DOES come find you in the parking lot, doesn't it?

I happen to use NOA a lot, and consider automation more important on stressful freeways than having it on city streets. But based on how current software handles the more difficult task of 70 MPH auto lanes changes and merging in multiple freeway mazes, plus the parking lot "parlor trick", I expect street level AS to a target destination to be released gradually with HW 3.X over the next year.

I never use TACC by itself, and compared to NOA, I'd never want AP/AS without NOA. Some people do, and that's fine by me, but why discourage others? As for people with a short term lease it's just a dollars and cents trade-off. Peace.

Since when does AP not have manual lane change with the blinker? I was going to buy AP here in the next few months (FSD is pointless IMO) and would be disappointed if that feature was gone.

Agreed. I’m in the same boat. About to buy a M3 without FSD and trying to understand the differences between AP and NOAP. I don’t care much about the car taking on and off ramps, but I assumed that manualy initiated lane changes are part of the base AP.

Reactions: Andy_STL
Agreed. I’m in the same boat. About to buy a M3 without FSD and trying to understand the differences between AP and NOAP. I don’t care much about the car taking on and off ramps, but I assumed that manualy initiated lane changes are part of the base AP.
The base AP won't even change lanes for you when you put on your turn signal. You have to actually disengage the auto steer to change lanes with the current cars Tesla is selling.

I think the base AP is a generous gift for the Std models, for people who primarily see the Model 3 as a great car to drive in manual. And it is. Driving with full AP/NOA, once you get used to it, is more of a supervisory approach, like flying a modern aircraft where you enter settings and destination, and it handles the details.

NOA is logically part of FSD in that it really is fully self-driving on highways. It's way more than "taking on and off ramps". The car knows where you're going, and is "looking" at surroundings differently than in basic AP. IMHO that's what it takes to make lane changes.

For instance, there was apparently a case of hitting a divider. In basic AP the car can't know which branch to take. Unless I just couldn't afford it, I'd rather finance it into the purchase, rather than think of maybe adding it later, cash. I'm kicking myself for not getting it at the outset, and happy it wasn't more.

Last edited: