Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone wanting to earn some extra money while driving...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
I really enjoy driving my Model 3. Some weekends I’ll drive 100 miles just for fun. But I could use some extra cash (who doesn’t?). So I thought, why not make some money while doing something I enjoy?

I highly recommend UberEATS to anyone in that situation. The 3 (or any Tesla really) is a super capable and convenient car for this purpose and all you need is an insulated bag. You also don’t need to deal with strangers being in your car like traditional ride sharing.

I was on yesterday (had day off) and I made $100 doing 10 orders over about 6 hours (it’s not usually that decent though - wouldn’t make it a full time job!)

Most people are pretty stoked to see a Tesla delivering their food lol.

Man I am not sure I could deal with my car smelling like food. I picked up some pizzas a week ago for a B-Day party and I swear it smelled like pie for 3 days.

Hilarious user name by the way.
Use the frunk Luke.

xallqWqjKZWQT04oePlgh_Ro5TzgzZdrO9ePyws5FwJY3UsW8mYLF88hX7rrrxHVSnAPxLc8qXATnHHYhTNdQ-qDSGUk1TG0N7lR-NVVCiXM6eMpPD7qTxGFS5fUn8QpTFXlgvEEs8Kgei2ZoR6sJwXUXep-kG-i439FU03xBrveHWlmj2YnL0-Ztm9YVjzt4-HLMNyI3Fz4WNHtB6hwLVe3q4E5GKAL0O7hYSjK2DzPpNWeIatdguSo6rq7FL-wws6Gd0jQbV6ieDlfAJTRDMLBSdFppByTdFNo49Ty_-GXWuI76vnRRK-LHMZShCgB7UowqOZa5RUf_U21HAW1Jgy-epUx2aTPaiFKrmzXkqYv_Q3iN-t6Fg8EaKg_Fp9tAefi0ieET3vsRlJ88k822ZiY9VFtO15Lh3d_gm-QQ3Z8C679DJ3eX5B_xsqIPgWqG-_ZvJe_KCUS-4fH9mA-QislTXF0cU9Bh0WTpD53EEgoJLpTRqbxrr4Xh87iI8931s09crsWeGKRn5WgioPqBbD4UPguZWdlJOQnwBrl6Lw21HJOJnRdDy4-8sbd3InqvyTQp6jOjCBriO1vTIsyZBUoS8Iu-smgameW2nrDkAIZGf89bzBEJt-t38MMLuflP-1IsyviYrI5OysYuIpFtRBh2A=w1824-h1025-no

Correct me if I'm wrong but you made $100 in 6 hours,

Before taxes sit you'll net even less. Say $80.

$80 for 6 hours of work = about $13 an hour.

Subtract cost of charging and depreciation value of your car and your looking at probably making $6 an hour.

There is an interesting documentary on working for lyft/uber and how little you really make
I'm assuming he wasn't driving for the full 6 hours.

You're better off doing Amazon Flex if you have one close. Because of the door handles I do not recommend doing Uber/Lyft.

Well OP was recommending Uber Eats so door handles would not matter as he would be the only one touching the handle?

I use Uber Eats all the time and I always feel bad for the drivers. I have seen them waiting at fast food places for pick ups. And often it seems they would have to wait as long as people who just ordered. So they have to drive to the place, wait for the order, pick them up and made sure everything is there, put in car, drive to the customer. And for all that they probably make about $9 before tax for about 25 to 35 min of work using their own car and have to pay for gas.

Although I think PostMate (by Lyft) seem even more crazy. I have seen restaurants on PostMate that are like 20+miles from my house. If I were to drive there and back, it will take me more than 1 hour. And I only pay like $7 for delivery... not sure how much the driver made.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you made $100 in 6 hours,

Before taxes sit you'll net even less. Say $80.

$80 for 6 hours of work = about $13 an hour.

Subtract cost of charging and depreciation value of your car and your looking at probably making $6 an hour.

There is an interesting documentary on working for lyft/uber and how little you really make
I wasn’t “working” the entire time I guess I should say “online”. Each trip takes an average of say 20-30 minutes so it still comes pretty close I guess, it wasn’t a consistent 6 hours. I sit at home until a request comes in or I’ll be out doing errands that I can interrupt. There aren’t any taxes taken out, until I report it to the IRS I guess.

I plan on driving my car as long as possible so I am not thinking about depreciation, plus it’s mileage I likely would’ve driven myself anyways. Charging costs, sure, but at least it’s not gas. Plus I’m helping the environment by delivering what would’ve been delivered by a gas vehicle :)

Again, I am doing this for extra cash. I don’t expect to make big bucks. It’s for food delivery, I’m sure driving people would bring in a little more. I am in no way advising anyone do this full time. I was just shocked that I could make that much in a “pick up and go” style.

Man I am not sure I could deal with my car smelling like food. I picked up some pizzas a week ago for a B-Day party and I swear it smelled like pie for 3 days.

Hilarious user name by the way.
You’re not wrong. I’ve needed to air out the car for sure! The worst part really is smelling good food next to you that you know you can’t eat! And thanks lol.
You're better off doing Amazon Flex if you have one close. Because of the door handles I do not recommend doing Uber/Lyft.
Interesting, I’ll have to check that out.
I use Uber Eats all the time and I always feel bad for the drivers. I have seen them waiting at fast food places for pick ups. And often it seems they would have to wait as long as people who just ordered. So they have to drive to the place, wait for the order, pick them up and made sure everything is there, put in car, drive to the customer. And for all that they probably make about $9 before tax for about 25 to 35 min of work using their own car and have to pay for gas.

Although I think PostMate (by Lyft) seem even more crazy.
Yeah, the good thing about UberEATS compared to the others is that all restaurants on UberEATS are direct partners with them, so orders go through instantly and are paid for by the customer. Uber pays based on distance, and the estimated time it takes for the restaurant to make the food and the driver to deliver, so yes, unfortunately if a restaurant is slacking off, there’s no extra pay for the wait, at least not that specific one. I think restaurants (may?) also pay UberEATS per order for the privilege of having delivery services.

I don’t drive with them, but from what I understand, DoorDash and Postmates often require the driver to manually place the order and then pay with a company card which is a hassle. DoorDash also won’t let you keep 100% of the expected profits. Example, if DoorDash guarantees you will make $6 for a delivery, but the customer tips $5, DoorDash pockets the difference and will only give you a $1 so that you get the $6 (so if you order from DoorDash and want to be nice to your driver, tip in cash upon delivery so they maximize their profits). UberEATS customers don’t always tip, but when they do, you’ll get the guaranteed amount plus keep what the customer tips in addition which is pretty cool.

Reactions: 2012MS85
UberEATS customers don’t always tip, but when they do, you’ll get the guaranteed amount plus keep what the customer tips in addition which is pretty cool.

Do you know if I certain customer tipped you on the app? I was told that regular Uber driver does not know about the tip until the next day and even then he/she will only see the total for the trip and customer name not listed.

I think you are supposed to, but there is really no way for your insurance to find out that you are doing a food delivery at the time of accident as you have no rideshare passenger. The food won't talk. :D
Insurance companies find out about this all the time and it is usually the driver starting off with something like: “I was on my way to deliver...”

Remember, it’s not calculated at only $6 net. Expenses such as the purchase of the vehicle itself can be used to offset other income.

Meet prospective clients if you sell financial products, are in real estate, etc.

Great way to meet ladies if you are a single guy.

Also have to consider what your forgone opportunity cost is. Making 13 bucks an hour driving 20 hours a month is not a lot but if you need income and have no other way to generate it the economic profit is very high even if your accounting profit is low.

Also have to consider what your forgone opportunity cost is.
Making 13 bucks an hour driving 20 hours a month is not a lot
but if you need income and have no other way to generate it
the economic profit is very high even if your accounting profit is low.
Last weekend in San Francisco, the driver I had told me
that she was a governement worker and drove all the way to SF to make a little income...

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
I use Uber Eats all the time and I always feel bad for the drivers.
IMO, Uber is a scam to take advantage of people that don't have other work. No benefits, you pay taxes later on that reduce what appears to be fair money, and your car gets chewed up meanwhile Uber takes half for doing not much of anything but provide a web service. At least a real taxi company maintains the vehicles and buys fuel so you aren't out your own personal assets. I wish I would have thought of it. :D

Insurance companies find out about this all the time and it is usually the driver starting off with something like: “I was on my way to deliver...”

Even better, you get T-boned at an intersection and the police report says you've got a few take out orders and you were driving for a delivery service while you're being rushed off to hospital and getting your claims denied.