Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone who thinks ceramic coating isn't worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ceramic coating owner here - Sapphire V1 - professionally applied after $300 paint correction.

I park outside 24/7 in Southern California. The coating does not protect my vehicle from stains caused by condensed water falling from nearby foliage. The water no doubt contains freeway "fallout", sap and other contaminants from the leaves.

If you park outside like me, spending $1000+ on ceramic coating may not be worth the expense.

I had my car up in the mountains under pine trees for a week. When we got home I had to clean all glass with vinegar/water solution to get all the sap and stains off as no other product would work.

I was able to clean the same crap off my paint with water and a microfiber towel. I have ceramic coating. My wife’s 7 month old 3 doesn't have a single scratch or swirl in her paint. (Also coated)

It’s expensive to have done but is worth every penny. I started adding “Reload” during my washing routine every few months and I’ve never felt a smoother surface.

I’m getting paint correction done on my truck and I’m going to give it a try to apply.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
My ceramic coating does not bead like that!
I think it depends on the product and the application. I did research on some and found Adam's highly rated and liked the support they provided, both chat line and tutorials. I'm already a decent detailer and had no prob doing a professional looking ceramic coating first time.
For less than $800 I had a Xpel clear bra installed professionally, did the ceramic coating, installed mud flaps and did a chrome minimize.
I love the way it beads!!! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20190801_075707422_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190801_075707422_HDR.jpg
    799.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20190801_075640529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190801_075640529_HDR.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20190801_084610080_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190801_084610080_HDR.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: tren01t
Ceramic coating owner here - Sapphire V1 - professionally applied after $300 paint correction.

I park outside 24/7 in Southern California. The coating does not protect my vehicle from stains caused by condensed water falling from nearby foliage. The water no doubt contains freeway "fallout", sap and other contaminants from the leaves.

If you park outside like me, spending $1000+ on ceramic coating may not be worth the expense.
Never heard of that coating, was it sold and applied by the place that painted your car? I for one have had several vehicles, one which was parked outside for three years through 3 separate Rhode Island winters and routinely had saltwater both liquid and frozen all over it. Never had any issues and cleaning was easy. Suspect your product is either substandard or improperly applied.

• Disagree
Reactions: tvad and Kleenerth3
Never heard of that coating, was it sold and applied by the place that painted your car? I for one have had several vehicles, one which was parked outside for three years through 3 separate Rhode Island winters and routinely had saltwater both liquid and frozen all over it. Never had any issues and cleaning was easy. Suspect your product is either substandard or improperly applied.
My car was not painted. The detailer performed paint correction to remove all waxes, post-factory coatings and surface contaminants prior to applying the ceramic coating.

Sapphire V1 was originally developed for the aerospace industry to protect the aircraft paint and improve fuel economy.

The coating was applied by a Sapphire certified professional, and the vehicle was garaged for 72 hours while the product cured.

A link to the product:
Sapphire V1 | Sapphire V1 Ceramic Coating

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3
My car was not painted. The detailer performed paint correction to remove all waxes, post-factory coatings and surface contaminants prior to applying the ceramic coating.

Sapphire V1 was originally developed for the aerospace industry to protect the aircraft paint and improve fuel economy.

The coating was applied by a Sapphire certified professional, and the vehicle was garaged for 72 hours while the product cured.

A link to the product:
Sapphire V1 | Sapphire V1 Ceramic Coating

Hope that helps.
Yeah yeah. Aerospace industry, I’ve worked in that industry myself for almost 30 years, wanna know how many airplanes I’ve seen ceramic coated...... that’s called marketing my friend. All I’m saying is my personal experience, as it seems is most of the people replying to this thread, is that ceramic coatings are for the most part worth the money. Sorry you didn’t have a good experience.

I knew from the tone of your response to my post that no answer from me was going to be satisfactory.
It’s not that your reply was not satisfying, it’s that the vast majority of people who have used a quality ceramic coating agree that they work. The whole”developed for the aerospace industry” bit doesn't really sway me. I mean it’s made to protect airplanes but it can’t handle water dripping on your car? Suspect..... I mean hell, that Nu Finish was that stuff they used on the hood of a car from a junk yard then sent it through the car wash like 100 times and water still rolled right off. Man that’s the stuff there.

plus I love getting a thumbs down when I am recounting my own personal experiences.

Last edited:

I have ceramic coating, and from my understanding it provides UV protection as well, so i would think if you park outside in the elements, a lot, it would be beneficial just from a UV protection aspect.

Reactions: Kilotango74
I did it myself, very easy to apply and wipe off. Using the Cquartz UK $54 on ebay. The car looks wet all the time. Kinda hard to tell on a white car but if you look at it at certain angles you could differently tell.
I have PPF applied to the front of the car and I Ceramic coated over the PPF.

Attachments

• 20191020_180704.jpg
    20191020_180704.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20191020_180720.jpg
    20191020_180720.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 20191020_180631.jpg
    20191020_180631.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 238
  • 20191020_180644.jpg
    20191020_180644.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I did it myself, very easy to apply and wipe off. Using the Cquartz UK $54 on ebay. The car looks wet all the time. Kinda hard to tell on a white car but if you look at it at certain angles you could differently tell.
I have PPF applied to the front of the car and I Ceramic coated over the PPF.

I agree, attached is a pic just taken, the white M3 is brand new, my X is 2 years old. If you look closely the X has more shine on the paint, the M3 is not near as shiny even in person

Attachments

• DSC01129.jpg
    DSC01129.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: tren01t
To be honest, don't really care about the paint enough to spend $5k. on PPF or $1k on "ceramic protection". Not going to recoup that when you sell it anyways. But for lots of people this is their baby, so I totally get it especially if you are not used to spending this much on a car.

Reactions: afadeev
To be honest, don't really care about the paint enough to spend $5k. on PPF or $1k on "ceramic protection". Not going to recoup that when you sell it anyways. But for lots of people this is their baby, so I totally get it especially if you are not used to spending this much on a car.

It is especially rewarding to be at a show and your car sticks out and people don't understand why it looks so much better. I tell them I selected the triple clear coat option when I ordered the car, just to have some fun

Agreed. If it's $1k for PPF and install, then it might be worth it to get your car polished and detailed, then apply a PPF.

I know this is a dumb question- what is a ceramic coating?
To me, a ceramic is glass or crockery- silicon / aluminium oxides in a special disorganised matrix.
How is the car coating even vaguely similar??

I really don't know exactly what it is, but it dries like glass. The towels when you are done have to be thrown away and not reused, the liquid on them becomes like glass. It appears to be very hard. It seems to be similar to the new coating people are putting on cell phone screens to protect them from cracks. The description seems to have a lot of the same information

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve