Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone who thinks ceramic coating isn't worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about seven months, I'm pretty disappointed with my ceramic coating. Can't remember the exact cost, but was between $800 and $1,200. And it was either Ceramic Pro or Gtechniq. I *think* three laters.

I was expecting the car to be much easier to clean but it's not the slightest bit easier. And the water just sits on the car, same as before -- so when it dries there are lots of water spots -- I guess I was expecting it to be hydrophobic where it sheets right off

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Any coating will ultimately still get dirty & embedded with crap, etc. - my primary concern was less maintenance & enhanced protection, which ceramic coatings provide. I paid $100 for 2 vials of Avalon King IX and DIY'd two coats. Yes, it took me almost an entire weekend to get it perfect, but if it means not sealing it every 4 months, I'm OK doing it once every 3 years.

Reactions: Rothgarr
After about seven months, I'm pretty disappointed with my ceramic coating. Can't remember the exact cost, but was between $800 and $1,200. And it was either Ceramic Pro or Gtechniq. I *think* three laters.

I was expecting the car to be much easier to clean but it's not the slightest bit easier. And the water just sits on the car, same as before -- so when it dries there are lots of water spots -- I guess I was expecting it to be hydrophobic where it sheets right off
Hmmm, not my experience. I put ceramic coating on our X100 over two years ago and it is still like glass. Water just sheens right off and it is very easy to wash. I wonder what happened in your case.

I put it on the front of the car and not the rear of the car, it barely made any difference
I noticed something similar - I can definitely feel that the surface is smoother, though. Like I said, I'm more interested in long-lasting protection than it being like glass. The included microfiber towels turned to stone after I was through with them (even after thoroughly washing), so it's definitely doing something. May try something different next time, just for kicks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I applied ceramic coating myself. My car was only a couple of months old. I washed the car first with CarPro Reset. Then did a finishing polish with a DA polisher. Then IPA wipe and finally 2 coats of ceramic coating with CQuartz UK 3.0. Surface is incredibly smooth. I wash in between with Color Crush. Bugs and dirt just wipe off.

Does it stop swirl?
Ceramic is not as bulletproof as the marketing makes it out to be. You still need to be careful how you wash the car. Many installers have very specific warranty requirements that You need to follow. Washing it in a way that’s not recommended (auto wash, not using the proper cleaning gear, etc) will void their warranty.

Anecdotally, this seems like a common way installers get out of fixing a ceramic job; they claim you washed it wrong and voided the warranty.

I'm moving into the camp that thinks its not worth it to pay a professional that kind of money. Like the original poster did, either do it yourself or use whatever off the shelf hybrid ceramic stuff from the big box boys. You will get a shine that is similar and you can reapply easy every few months keeping it fresh. If you're the type that washes your own car, you can have a car that people will ask if it is ceramic coated. I've gone from Zaino to other waxes and sealants and all do a great job that most won't be able to tell one from the other. Now I'm using meguiars hybrid ceramic and the car looks amazing (imho). Best of all its cheap and easy to apply. The entire car in 20 min or 5 min if you are applying during a rinse and you and your car become best friends. I've also never had a car that did not look amazing after 10 years of ownership. I'd also hate to pay 3k over 10 years to get ceramic coating (you can almost pay for FSD on your next Tesla!). If you have money and don't mind using it, it probably is the best, but if you want 80% of the look and most of the protection then keep it simple and either do the cermic coating yourself or use some easier high quality products.

The photos attached shows what the car looks like with a quick ONR wash, mothers 2.0 claybar and then the hybrid ceramic wax from mcguiars and nothing else. Car is 1.5 years old and 20k on the odometer through 2 winters. Ideally I'd put something first then the hybric cermamic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_001311.jpg
    IMG_20200622_001311.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 113
  • ink (10).png
    ink (10).png
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
Last edited: