Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone who thinks ceramic coating isn't worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm contemplating doing a diy ceramic coating but want to make sure I have a good base. I'm considering getting this exterior detail done that includes:
  • Paint Decontamination
  • Single Stage Machine Polish
  • Paint Sanitation
  • 3 Month Synthetic Sealant
Would I need to do anything else to prepare the car for a ceramic coating? I don't want to pay the extra ~$500 for the coating when I can buy for ~$50 and apply myself but not sure if this detail would properly prep the car for it.

I use a spray on Maguire's ceramic so far and it helps if your car is on a slight hill it runs off good even if its just wax wash! But I have found that lasts about 3 months give or take a couple of waxy washes. Micro beads all the water good. Its not much cheaper than the suggested treatment here so if that lasts years its an excellent price for a little more work.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I use a spray on Maguire's ceramic so far and it helps if your car is on a slight hill it runs off good even if its just wax wash! But I have found that lasts about 3 months give or take a couple of waxy washes. Micro beads all the water good. Its not much cheaper than the suggested treatment here so if that lasts years its an excellent price for a little more work.

The ceramic coatings don’t last if you don’t do the “maintenance,” which is spraying a product on every 4-6 washes. And that product costs money. So no savings of money or time over spray on alternatives that are applied every 3-6 months.

The ceramic coatings don’t last if you don’t do the “maintenance,” which is spraying a product on every 4-6 washes. And that product costs money. So no savings of money or time over spray on alternatives that are applied every 3-6 months.

Hmm good to know I thought above was a one shot long lasting product. Its the first time I have used a ceramic spray but really pleased with it. So what is the best product going I can do myself? Washing it once every 2-3 weeks when not totally soiled is only an hour job with snow foam and wash and wax. Good just as it is with the spray then as there is no longer lasting fix?

Hmm good to know I thought above was a one shot long lasting product. Its the first time I have used a ceramic spray but really pleased with it. So what is the best product going I can do myself? Washing it once every 2-3 weeks when not totally soiled is only an hour job with snow foam and wash and wax. Good just as it is with the spray then as there is no longer lasting fix?
Opti Coat products seem great. There is a pro version of ceramic and a consumer version. They would sell you a consumer version that can last about 5 or 7 years. I can’t remember offhand.

I love the Nanoskin products. They sell them on Amazon. The Nanoshock combined with their Autoscrub towel beats ceramic coating.

Yeah, I'm considering getting Modesta done which is supposed to be the best of the best but it's ridiculously expensive. I was told the maintenance booster would cost me about $50-100/year.

Opti Coat products seem great. There is a pro version of ceramic and a consumer version. They would sell you a consumer version that can last about 5 or 7 years. I can’t remember offhand.
Opti-Gloss is the consumer version, it’s rated for 2 years of protection, but I’ve got more then that for sure.

A tube is about 50 bucks and will easily do 2 Model 3’s.

worth every penny, as it keeps your car cleaner for longer, it’s glossier, and it is easier to wash

Reactions: Kilotango74

I'm interested where you got this information as I have never heard of any "maintenance" sprays as you call it to maintain any ceramic coating. Before getting ceramic coating applied to my car, I never ran across this information whether it be my own research online or talking to different detailers. Across the board the only maintanance they suggested was hand washing and using a soap that doesn't have any sort of wax or sealant. There are soaps specifically designed for vehicles that have ceramic coating, but that's about it. The sprays I believe you are talking about are just an extra layer or enhancer but definitely not necessary.

Reactions: Kilotango74
I'm interested where you got this information as I have never heard of any "maintenance" sprays as you call it to maintain any ceramic coating. Before getting ceramic coating applied to my car, I never ran across this information whether it be my own research online or talking to different detailers. Across the board the only maintanance they suggested was hand washing and using a soap that doesn't have any sort of wax or sealant. There are soaps specifically designed for vehicles that have ceramic coating, but that's about it. The sprays I believe you are talking about are just an extra layer or enhancer but definitely not necessary.

Wow. How could you miss it?? It’s everywhere. Don’t have time to do the googles for you right now, but I will later on this evening so don’t go away.

Opti-Gloss is the consumer version, it’s rated for 2 years of protection, but I’ve got more then that for sure.

A tube is about 50 bucks and will easily do 2 Model 3’s.

worth every penny, as it keeps your car cleaner for longer, it’s glossier, and it is easier to wash
I’m thinking of doing this for our X. How much work did you put into doing the prep work? I’m thinking of buying a buffer.

I’m thinking of doing this for our X. How much work did you put into doing the prep work? I’m thinking of buying a buffer.

Prep work is key. As the OP mentioned, you are going to seal in any paint imperfections, so getting the paint as smooth as possible with no swirl marks will make a big difference.

If your paint is already in decent shape, a simple one step paint correction using an orbital polisher will do wonders. I would plan on spending a day. Wash, clay bar, one-step paint correction with polisher, final wash with a product like CarPro Eraser to get rid of any remaining wax, and then apply one or two coats of ceramic coating.

• Informative
Reactions: yerEVan
Prep work is key. As the OP mentioned, you are going to seal in any paint imperfections, so getting the paint as smooth as possible with no swirl marks will make a big difference.

If your paint is already in decent shape, a simple one step paint correction using an orbital polisher will do wonders. I would plan on spending a day. Wash, clay bar, one-step paint correction with polisher, final wash with a product like CarPro Eraser to get rid of any remaining wax, and then apply one or two coats of ceramic coating.
Do you think the exterior detail i'm thinking of getting done that includes the below steps would be sufficient prep for diy ceramic coating?
  • Paint Decontamination
  • Single Stage Machine Polish
  • Paint Sanitation
  • 3 Month Synthetic Sealant

This is what I’m planning on applying soon:

Frontpage

Their marketing is on-point - I hope it’s as good as they make it seem. If it lasts at least 3 years, I’m happy. Supposedly lasts up to 5. I’m tired of applying sealant every 4 or 5 months. Coatings last way longer and are way thicker. Hooray for technology.

You guys asking nooby questions just need to spend a couple of hours reading about auto detailing and you’ll be able to answer your own questions - it’s really simple stuff. People who turn it into a rocket science are wasting time or mentally ill IMO.

As far as prep goes for a brand new car, I’m personally not gonna go crazy with it. Thorough wash + IPA rinse + straight to application for me. When it’s time for reapplication I’ll probably clay & give it a light polish beforehand. My main concern is protection - MSM looks meh whether it’s filthy or totally spotless. It’s great.

One more thing - whether it’s a coating or PPF - none of this stuff is magical. Just like the paint, it gets dirty, worn, contaminated, etc. Fact of life. Best you can do is try and keep it clean.