Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone who thinks ceramic coating isn't worth it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think the exterior detail i'm thinking of getting done that includes the below steps would be sufficient prep for diy ceramic coating?
  • Paint Decontamination
  • Single Stage Machine Polish
  • Paint Sanitation
  • 3 Month Synthetic Sealant
If you are going to do the ceramic coating, I think you want to skip your last sealant step, and go directly to the ceramic coating.

Is a clay luber necessary or just use the Nanoshock and Nanoskin scrub towel combo? Thanks!

I am just using the Nanoshock for the lube. I have used the Glide as a luber, which goes a long way with dilution with water, but using Nanoshock for lube completes two steps in one as the lube and the sealant.

If your paint requires paint correction (keep in mind Nanoshock nor any ceramic coatings don't correct paint swirls and scratches), you can do the Nanoskin towel with the Nanoshock first, then correct the paint, and then mist on another coat of Nanoshock for the sealant since the paint correction will have removed it from the previous step.

Since you can get Nanoshock for $32/gallon, it's not a big deal to use it for everything.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
I am just using the Nanoshock for the lube. I have used the Glide as a luber, which goes a long way with dilution with water, but using Nanoshock for lube completes two steps in one as the lube and the sealant.

If your paint requires paint correction (keep in mind Nanoshock nor any ceramic coatings don't correct paint swirls and scratches), you can do the Nanoskin towel with the Nanoshock first, then correct the paint, and then mist on another coat of Nanoshock for the sealant since the paint correction will have removed it from the previous step.

Since you can get Nanoshock for $32/gallon, it's not a big deal to use it for everything.
I appreciate your responses @TLLMRRJ. I sent you a DM if you wouldn't mind responding. Thanks!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
^ This. It's super easy, it's like waxing your car but easier, you just have to do it little by little as to not let it cure all the way before wiping otherwise it will cure funny. you can also coat PPF using a different type of coating. I have both done on one of my more expensive cars.

I think Ceramic coating is the best paint protectors to ensure most lustrous, well- protected glass coatings. This makes it quite expensive but surely worthy for its value. But i have been curious to know more on Reactive Polymer Technology. any idea?

I had ceramic put on last year (Ceramic Pro). But I'm disappointed how water beads, rather than sheeting off it like in the OP's video. It seems like water shouldn't sit on the car.

Is it OK for me to put my own sheeting ceramic coating on top of the existing ceramic coating? Or does the Ceramic Pro that was applied last year have to first be removed somehow?

I had ceramic put on last year (Ceramic Pro). But I'm disappointed how water beads, rather than sheeting off it like in the OP's video. It seems like water shouldn't sit on the car.

Is it OK for me to put my own sheeting ceramic coating on top of the existing ceramic coating? Or does the Ceramic Pro that was applied last year have to first be removed somehow?
You just need to put sealant on top of it too boost the water bead

Coatings get dirty, get crap embedded into them, wear, etc. just like any other surface exposed to the elements. It likely did bead like that right after it was applied.

When you re-apply in 6 months, is any special prep required?

Also my car has been polished and waxed thus far, once with Meguiar's NXT which I've read is difficult to get off. I washed with dish soap to strip everthing, but how can you be sure that all sealant is actually off the car?

When you re-apply in 6 months, is any special prep required?

Also my car has been polished and waxed thus far, once with Meguiar's NXT which I've read is difficult to get off. I washed with dish soap to strip everthing, but how can you be sure that all sealant is actually off the car?
Typically clay bar w/ clay lubricant and then IPA wash which is just 70% isopropyl (i believe) to strip everything