Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing...if stage 2 said 0-60 in under 3 second and 1/4 mile time in 11 seconds and everything else is the same in the description....ALL of y’all would totally consider buying it

Nope, sure wouldn't.

Especially if I had to drive to new england and pay more every time I wanted a software update (on top of the warranty concerns)

Funny thing...if stage 2 said 0-60 in under 3 second and 1/4 mile time in 11 seconds and everything else is the same in the description....ALL of y’all would totally consider buying it but because there is a car that exist at that speed (the performance) you hesitate despite tradings up would cost you at minimum 5k+ in potential loss. So technically the warranty discussion isn’t really the issue.

Warranty/updates IS the issue.

It could run 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and run 10's for $5000 and I still wouldn't do it.
How can you disagree with my opinion that I wouldn't purchase this?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Funny thing...if stage 2 said 0-60 in under 3 second and 1/4 mile time in 11 seconds and everything else is the same in the description....ALL of y’all would totally consider buying it but because there is a car that exist at that speed (the performance) you hesitate despite tradings up would cost you at minimum 5k+ in potential loss. So technically the warranty discussion isn’t really the issue.

The Performance does not run a quarter mile in 11 seconds flat. Lowest times have been 11.3, but average tends to be around 11.4/11.5. Also the lowest 0-60 times recorded is like a 2.98 and that's with 1' rollout.

Warranty is only partially an issue for me, lack of supercharging is the other, and then like Knight said - having to drive across the country to one little shop to get an update. Not that I'd feel like they're really all that necessary at this point since I'm not on FSD and probably never will be unless the price is much more within reach. Though they do add nice features once in a while.

If I were to even do this, I'd probably want to just go straight to stage 3 - as long as it's proven within safe limits of the hardware and reasonable price, which is another conversation.

Reactions: phantasms
My comment before was based on the assumption on having a remote software push to the cars. EG would potentially send a tech to a major city for this hardware install if there was enough people but based on driving to NE would deter tons of people and is a letdown. So if the above was possible would lead to 2 remaining factors which is warranty and supercharging.

As mentioned...this is a no brainer for salvaged AWD cars.

The Performance does not run a quarter mile in 11 seconds flat. Lowest times have been 11.3, but average tends to be around 11.4/11.5. Also the lowest 0-60 times recorded is like a 2.98 and that's with 1' rollout.

Warranty is only partially an issue for me, lack of supercharging is the other, and then like Knight said - having to drive across the country to one little shop to get an update. Not that I'd feel like they're really all that necessary at this point since I'm not on FSD and probably never will be unless the price is much more within reach. Though they do add nice features once in a while.

If I were to even do this, I'd probably want to just go straight to stage 3 - as long as it's proven within safe limits of the hardware and reasonable price, which is another conversation.

I wasn’t saying the Performance ran those number BUT you did confirm you might be one of those people that would do the upgrade if the numbers lead you to what I quoted. I said stage 2 because there is no stage 3 and based on the video the car is faster than a performance which looks like .5 second

I wasn’t saying the Performance ran those number BUT you did confirm you might be one of those people that would do the upgrade if the numbers lead you to what I quoted. I said stage 2 because there is no stage 3 and based on the video the car is faster than a performance which looks like .5 second

There is Stage 3. Right here. It's marked as Sold Out but I'm sure that's just a placeholder until they officially release it. The description says "Not for the faint of heart. May cause uncontrollable giggling and grins from ear to ear." followed by "*Still in development*". I take that to mean that this is a faster version than Stage 2 and is the same "tune" we saw launching harder than the P3 in EG's tweet. Stage 2 is simply the same performance numbers as the Performance is now (0-60 in 3.2), and even says in the listing it transforms your car to a Performance Model 3.

It is a little peculiar though because in one of their IG posts a few weeks ago, they quoted a 3.1 0-60 as well but without giving any specific details. Hopefully the video should clear everything up and also mention the type of accel measurement used to quote the numbers.

Attachments

• EG.jpg
    EG.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
This is all just extra pressure on Tesla to unleash power upgrades officially, its almost certain it's coming now; why have someone else profit from it when they can? GREAT job on finding this out EG but PERSONALLY it's just too risky if it isn't officially from Tesla

err... they already sell basically the stage 1 product-bit higher price- but without risking any warranty coverage or other problems or needing to install any hardware.

The stage 2 product isn't really competition of any kind since it:

1) Only works on LR AWD cars made over a year ago
2) Cripples several important features (like OTA updates and possibly supercharging- and unclear if it kills any other connectivity features like the normal tesla app stuff since it'd normally have to go through tesla servers)
3) Again warranty risk- and since it's not user-reversable basically makes you ineligible to ever get serviced by Tesla
4) Requires physically going to a specific shop, both for install, and any time you want any further update (that you'll be charged for)
5) Might not work at all with the next major firmware revision (rumored?)

Don't get me wrong- it's cool stuff for someone who gets a cheap salvaged 980 LR AWD I guess... though I dunno how much cheaper that car would be than a salvage "real" P?

err... they already sell basically the stage 1 product-bit higher price- but without risking any warranty coverage or other problems or needing to install any hardware.

Not sure

The stage 2 product isn't really competition of any kind since it:

1) Only works on LR AWD cars made over a year ago
2) Cripples several important features (like OTA updates and possibly supercharging- and unclear if it kills any other connectivity features like the normal tesla app stuff since it'd normally have to go through tesla servers)
3) Again warranty risk- and since it's not user-reversable basically makes you ineligible to ever get serviced by Tesla
4) Requires physically going to a specific shop, both for install, and any time you want any further update (that you'll be charged for)
5) Might not work at all with the next major firmware revision (rumored?)

Don't get me wrong- it's cool stuff for someone who gets a cheap salvaged 980 LR AWD I guess... though I dunno how much cheaper that car would be than a salvage "real" P?

I was talking about Tesla releasing another power upgrade, not sure what you mean by this. Personally I wouldn't let Electric garage do the upgrade; just for peace of mind for the future updates and warranty issues

I was talking about Tesla releasing another power upgrade, not sure what you mean by this

I was pointing out they already sell one equivalent to stage 1.... and the many limitations of EGs stage 2 product doesn't really put any "extra pressure on Tesla" as you suggest- because of all those limitations of what EG is offering there.

Certainly it's possible Tesla will still offer a paid boost Pt.2 to get full P on the 980 cars, but if they were going to you'd think now would've been the time they'd have already done it to help the Q2 numbers- given Q3/4 are usually already strong for them.

Plus EGs seemingly confirming that's only possible on the older 980 rear DU cars makes it a bit dicier proposition if 990 cars get upset at finding out they got an "inferior" drive unit.

I was pointing out they already sell one equivalent to stage 1.... and the many limitations of EGs stage 2 product doesn't really put any "extra pressure on Tesla" as you suggest- because of all those limitations of what EG is offering there.

Certainly it's possible Tesla will still offer a paid boost Pt.2 to get full P on the 980 cars, but if they were going to you'd think now would've been the time they'd have already done it to help the Q2 numbers- given Q3/4 are usually already strong for them.

Plus EGs seemingly confirming that's only possible on the older 980 rear DU cars makes it a bit dicier proposition if 990 cars get upset at finding out they got an "inferior" drive unit.
Wasn’t there a certain Earlier S model that got a performance upgrade and not others? To me it seems like if they did make a move to allow 980 motors to become P cars...it would infuriate other AWD owners owning 990 motors so Tesla wouldn’t based on that assumption.

For the most part I think the people who are willing to upgrade were the early model 3 owners who regret not going for the performance version because of the price. I'm assuming it's a small percentage but I think Tesla releasing another power update for them goes along way of saying thank you for the early support as oppose to Tesla making money from it

For the most part I think the people who are willing to upgrade were the early model 3 owners who regret not going for the performance version because of the price. I'm assuming it's a small percentage but I think Tesla releasing another power update for them goes along way of saying thank you for the early support as oppose to Tesla making money from it

Exactly. I know there's multiple ways to do the math and one can maybe say a P now costs about the same as they did back then. But when I was checking those boxes the P was another 11 or $12k. For me that was too much to swallow for a code change. If I was buying today I'd get the P for sure.

Wasn’t there a certain Earlier S model that got a performance upgrade and not others? To me it seems like if they did make a move to allow 980 motors to become P cars...it would infuriate other AWD owners owning 990 motors so Tesla wouldn’t based on that assumption.

The S was the exact opposite case.

Cars built after a certain date were eligible for a significant power uncorking. Before that date? Not so much.

So the message was that newer cars were better

The 990 thing would send the message newer cars are worse

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
The S was the exact opposite case.

Cars built after a certain date were eligible for a significant power uncorking. Before that date? Not so much.

So the message was that newer cars were better

The 990 thing would send the message newer cars are worse

This is the only reason they wouldn't do it, and it's a good one.

And this is me when I read this response as I want that upgrade!!!

8EBw.gif

Reactions: moridin2002
I was an early buyer of AWD but I think the difference was more like $14k to get to P, much of which was going for crap I didn't want...lowering, large inefficient wheels, a stick-on spoiler, and so on. It just wasn't remotely worth it then.

Since then we've seen the 'stealth P' come out at a $2k differential.

The stealth was available back in 2018 to early buyers too.

It was $11,000 more than the LR AWD at the time.

The non-stealth was $16,000 more. (these both varies a bit as they raised/lowered the LR AWD price by 1-2k a few times in 2018)

Then they killed the P3D- and cut the price on the P3D+ by $5000.

(and gave all previous P buyers a $5000 refund offer)

The 2k P3D- if you take one from inventory was just a weird thing that happened a few times throughout mid-late 2019.