Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why it can so easily do the stage 1 and still get firmware updates yet stage 2 essentially destroys the car to get the boost.[IMHO].
What I’m kinda curious is why stage 1 is 50hp and it’s the “midpoint” in terms of power to the P based on previous dyno graphs of oem boost and stage 2 is 150hp and they call it the performance upgrade. I always thought the P was only 100hp more than the AWD but EG saying it’s 150 and based on the video makes sense that it’s more powerful than oem P

Exactly. I know there's multiple ways to do the math and one can maybe say a P now costs about the same as they did back then. But when I was checking those boxes the P was another 11 or $12k. For me that was too much to swallow for a code change. If I was buying today I'd get the P for sure.

Was definitely more expensive for me in late 2018 to get a P than it was later on and especially once Stealths showed up. I've explained this before, but it was due to tax liability. If I had just waited, I would have gotten a Stealth no problem. Ah well, I'm over it haha.

I wonder why it can so easily do the stage 1 and still get firmware updates yet stage 2 essentially destroys the car to get the boost.[IMHO].

If I had to speculate- stage 1 is just man in the middling CANBUS stuff without changing on-car settings.... stage 2 they actually change the car settings to be a P (which Tesla would notice and revert)

What'd be interesting is if Tesla DID start to offer a P unlock, would Stage 2 then be a theft of services product?

Is Ingeneerix based out of Canada? Interested parties would be more confident if this was definitively him and not someone else. His youtube channel says he's based on the US, so I'm curious as to whether this is just a privacy protection measure or someone else is legitimately selling this and EG acting as the US vendor.

If I had to speculate- stage 1 is just man in the middling CANBUS stuff without changing on-car settings.... stage 2 they actually change the car settings to be a P (which Tesla would notice and revert)

What'd be interesting is if Tesla DID start to offer a P unlock, would Stage 2 then be a theft of services product?
Thats like me buying a corvette and installing a turbo,then GM finds out and comes to my home and removes it.
There are laws that allow people to modify their vehicles. The only thing tesla is legally able to do is void your warranty, not on the entire car, but only on the part that was modified that failed.

How come tesla is quiet when people lower their car,put wider wheels, install wraps?

Tesla cant keep moving the goal post on what you can and cannot do to your car.

Thats like me buying a corvette and installing a turbo,then GM finds out and comes to my home and removes it.

Or...It's like you buying a corvette- then installing something that makes it throw out-of-spec codes- then the GM computer code puts the car in limp mode because it detected problem.

Which already happens

If they code the car to go into limp mode when it detects it operating outside design parameters (which they DO TODAY for things like motor and battery tripping sensors reporting out of spec issues) for excessive acceleration what's the difference?

VWVortex.com - Diode mod to fix APR limp

First of a TON of google hits on people hitting limp mode in various cars because they modded and the car threw an error code for something being out of spec.

In some cases people actually end up buying aftermarket engine control computers specifically because the factory system will not allow the mods they want to work properly

And there's nothing "illegal" about the car maker doing that- it's just a lot harder to get an aftermarket control computer for a Tesla... (I guess the stage 2 hack comes sort close-ish here)

There are laws that allow people to modify their vehicles.

There's one law that says they can't inherently void your warranty for doing so.

I'm not sure most places have a generic "You can do anything you want to your car" law though.

The only thing tesla is legally able to do is void your warranty not on the entire car, but only on the part that was modified that failed.

Close.... they can refuse to repair that part- AND any other parts/problems caused by that part.

How come tesla is quiet when people lower their car,put wider wheels, install wraps?

They aren't always.

Folks have mentioned having sensor issues with certain poorly-done wraps for example- Tesla wouldn't fix that

Likewise if you lower or change wheels and that causes a problem- they won't fix that either.

None of those are likely to cause out-of-correct-for-model operating specs via the sensor feedback loop though.... (I suppose bizarrely out of spec wheels could...and wouldn't be, at all, surprised if the car tripped warnings and went into some kinda cripple/limp mode from it either)

I especially liked near the end where he dismisses the people on the forums with warranty concerns as crybabies and basic people and simps and totally glosses over that you can't get updates and stuff (there's some restrictions is the only thing he says about the mod, no details).

Also liked where he shows the hacked AWD beating the P over and over in races... but then can't get an actual Draggy 0-60 on the hacked AWD that's as quick as a P (with most being several tenths slower).... also interesting the "stock" AWD draggy runs did both 0-60 and 1/4 mile but the "hacked" one only ever did 0-60.

BTW, looks like the Stage 1 setup is being sold directly by the actual creator if you want to get it from them instead of through EG- (also appears they take paypal which might offer some extra discount/cashback options for some folks)

BOOST 50

• Funny
Reactions: M109Rider
I especially liked near the end where he dismisses the people on the forums with warranty concerns as crybabies and basic people and simps and totally glosses over that you can't get updates and stuff (there's some restrictions is the only thing he says about the mod, no details).

Also liked where he shows the hacked AWD beating the P over and over in races... but then can't get an actual Draggy 0-60 on the hacked AWD that's as quick as a P (with most being several tenths slower).... also interesting the "stock" AWD draggy runs did both 0-60 and 1/4 mile but the "hacked" one only ever did 0-60.

BTW, looks like the Stage 1 setup is being sold directly by the actual creator if you want to get it from them instead of through EG-

BOOST 50
Will have to watch later.

Sounds like a whiner because not every Model 3 AWD owner wants it and has concerns.

Reactions: M109Rider

BTW, looks like the Stage 1 setup is being sold directly by the actual creator if you want to get it from them instead of through EG- (also appears they take paypal which might offer some extra discount/cashback options for some folks)

BOOST 50
The video is definitely shown for entertainment purposes and not conclusive at all. Need a dragtimes type video to get people remotely interested in the purchase but I doubt Richie will make one

All he needs to really do is have a Dragy in both cars while running them side by side with more closely controlled variables. He doesn't really need a cameraman in the car with him - Just mount a GoPro to the car, have 1 driver and also show each cars respective SoC % pre-race then do a couple runs. If he could find a spot to do 1/4 mile that would be even better, but that's not always easy to find a good area and with no other cars around - so ideally he'd need to find a track where he can do it.

The other thing that has me a bit reluctant is the fact that the Stage 2 is $2,250.00. I already have the equivalent of Stage 1 since I essentially paid for Boost 50 through Tesla so I think there should be a discount for AWD+ customers to knock off another grand so that Stage 2 only costs them $1150. That would be much more reasonable.

Noticed the following on page 179 of the latest owners manual. It seems really strange to me that the RWD can handle a higher maximum current than the non-performance AWD. I knew that there's speculation that the performance may have a different rear motor, but I always thought that the RWD and non-performance AWD had the same rear motor. This really implies to me that they're artificially limiting the AWD. Am I mistaken in my interpretation of this?

View attachment 474652

It's interesting that that inverter information is magically missing from the latest owner's manual now.

Perhaps Tesla didn't want the general public so easily knowing these important details discerning differences.

Can someone help me figure out my AWD's rear motor please
I have a build date of 9/18, an empty plate and a P1085693-30-F inverter plate
Amazon Photos

Per Scubastevo80's info, I believe I fall into the Blank P3D group:
Basically, the data points to all of LR cars sharing the same rear inverter and motor on any given month, they've just been updated over time. See below. My car is a 9/18 build and has the same 20-E part # MOSFET inverter as other RWD and P models of that build month. The inverters were updated from a P1085693-20-E part in Sept 18 to a P1085693-30-E part in Oct 18.

Motor Plate | Parts Description | Found In | Build Date + Links

Excellent thanks everyone.
Somehow it makes me feel better knowing that I could get the full Performance with a tune even though I wouldn't unless offered by Tesla and that's probably never going to happen.

@MagnusMako - mind sharing some pics of your front MPP Rotors/TSW's?
Do you feel the need to go BBK or are you satisfied with braking?

Can we all start tweeting for the upgrade please!:D

Someone start bugging Elon!

Only a matter of time. Cater to his ego! Lol.

“Elon, how you gonna let an external company hack into Tesla’s software, crack the code and offer a BETTER boost and performance option for half the price!”

Crazy, cause I just got my 980 RDU replaced (maybe due to flogging the hell out of it with the Accel Boost) and they replaced it with a brand new 980!

Reactions: phantasms