Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Just the unlock and support for track mode. Track mode might be fun on snow.
Don't want 20" rims because my drives are not pothole free.
Don't want to lower my car. Actually I'd be happy if it were raised like a Suburu Outback.
Then, you are over quoting price to unlock. It all, really, comes down to what an individual would be willing to pay for ~1 sec of acceleration. Personally, $3-4K is my “comfort zone”. I base this on past offerings and objective research.

FYI, before the initial post I read Electrek articles (FWIW!) stating a $9k differential (previously it was $10k) in Sept 2018. So after the FUSC refund that would be $4k... But, have to include sales and property tax on the original outlay that was not refunded in the $5k...FWIW.

Anyway, I won’t weigh in on what I think would be a “fair” upgrade price. The upgrade will cost whatever people will pay to maximize Tesla revenue, presumably, if it ever exists, I assume.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovidad
I picked $6k, because it had been an $11k difference between AWD and P3D+ and I subtracted $5k for the hardware. Looks like I haven’t kept up with the latest pricing, though!

Just checked Tesla.com and it’s only an $8k difference now. I guess I should have made it $3k or $4k instead.

Regardless, there wasn’t a reply from Elon or Tesla, so it’s a moot point.

I suggest others keep tweeting @elonmusk and @tesla and maybe one of them will get through!

You're forgetting that difference included a lot more hardware. This thread is about software uncorking only; LR AWD to M3P-, not M3P+. If you were uninformed, perhaps you shouldn't have sent a tweet with a $6000 price tag attached. Just sayin'....

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with the software, it’s all about the value of what you’re buying.
All software is the same. Oracle database software is worth millions to corporations, so they spend many thousands of dollars a year for a simple download of software.

So I totally disagree with you here.

The cost to increase the speed of most cars by one second is very expensive.
Also, the value of that one second is absolutely worth more than $500.

A thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay. In my case, that's $500.

Let's not forget that I was forced into paying an extra $14,000 for my 3 back in May 2018 because Tesla would only sell the more expensive version at the time. So I think I'm owed a good deal on something. It's kind of a moot point right now, because we don't even know if we will ever have the option to buy this speed upgrade.

A thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay. In my case, that's $500.

Let's not forget that I was forced into paying an extra $14,000 for my 3 back in May 2018 because Tesla would only sell the more expensive version at the time. So I think I'm owed a good deal on something. It's kind of a moot point right now, because we don't even know if we will ever have the option to buy this speed upgrade.
You paid for what you ordered. You’re not owed anything.

extra $14,000 for my 3 back in May 2018

Also, would like to see the math on that. Such claims should always be backed up by spreadsheets. Not saying it happened or didn't happen, I just like to see the actual numbers!

If you're saying you bought the LR AWD or whatever, rather than the SR or something...well...I mean, sure. But you bought what you wanted. And it only makes sense to compare like items.

Reactions: Phlier
You're forgetting that difference included a lot more hardware. This thread is about software uncorking only; LR AWD to M3P-, not M3P+. If you were uninformed, perhaps you shouldn't have sent a tweet with a $6000 price tag attached. Just sayin'....

Except that the price difference from an AWD to an M3P- has literally been net $6000 in the past (it was when I bought mine for example). Just sayin' indeed.

Of course that was after the $5000 FUSC-turn-in refund for the M3P- owners.

Net price difference with that considered, AWD to M3P-, was at various times between 4k and 6k (only because the AWD option varied between 4-6k during the time the P3D- was originally available).

It's only in the last few weeks you've ever been able to get a P3D- for less than that amount of difference from an LR AWD (and only then on inventory models, not new orders)

• Disagree
Reactions: jboles and Vaillant
Except that the price difference from an AWD to an M3P- has literally been net $6000 in the past (it was when I bought mine for example). Just sayin' indeed.

This is more or less repeating what you said, but anyway...

If I understand correctly, talking about approximate max differences (not accounting for other certain option price changes for interior/paint/etc. which may have occurred to change the actual max delta):

List prices:
AWD -> P3D+ : Differed by $11k + $5k
AWD -> P3D- : Differed by $11k

But most (all?*) who paid those big differences had FUSC - and as you say, they were all eligible to get $5k back for that.

So net, excluding sales tax & property tax implications, it worked out to:

AWD -> P3D+: Differed by $11k + $5k - $5k = $11k
AWD -> P3D- : Differed by $11k - $5k = $6k

* I know FUSC was available to such buyers for most if not all of the time period Performance was available at the elevated prices, but at the very beginning of Performance availability, I am not sure...

Of course that was after the $5000 FUSC-turn-in refund for the M3P- owners.

Net price difference with that considered, AWD to M3P-, was at various times between 4k and 6k (only because the AWD option varied between 4-6k during the time the P3D- was originally available).

It's only in the last few weeks you've ever been able to get a P3D- for less than that amount of difference from an LR AWD (and only then on inventory models, not new orders)

Agreed. So why would anyone, today, suggest $6000 for an acceleration only upgrade? ‘nuff said? :p

Agreed. So why would anyone, today, suggest $6000 for an acceleration only upgrade? ‘nuff said? :p

I think he is saying that to not upset Performance owners who bought in the $6k delta timeframe (which was only an acceleration upgrade), Tesla might be reluctant to do the entire upgrade for less than that price.

If you are talking partial power boosts or partial plus track mode, then a significantly lower price is possible I suppose.

But Tesla has upset owners in the past so who knows...

$1 or $15,000 at this point makes no difference and is just semantics debating any logical price. Until Elon makes on of his trite Tweet's like:

Someone: If the AWD can be upgraded to Performance acceleration with Track Mode will Tesla offer it?

Elon: OK

Because far as I know, with the exception of the very brief, tesla-admitted-it-was-a-mistake, 2k fire sale on FSD for a few days, Tesla does not sell an add-on feature post-sale for less than they charged pre-sale on the same car.

For all the 2018 AWD cars we are discussing, which are physically identical to P3D- cars, it was a net $6000 (or a little less depending exactly when you bought) upgrade pre-purchase.

The $2000 difference is only the last few weeks, and based on the recent 990 motor info, is only on physically different cars so no such upgrade would be possible on current "new" AWD purchases with only a 2k difference in price.

I think he is saying that to not upset Performance owners who bought in the $6k delta timeframe (which was only an acceleration upgrade), Tesla might be reluctant to do the entire upgrade for less than that price.

If you are talking partial power boosts or partial plus track mode, then a significantly lower price is possible I suppose.

But Tesla has upset owners in the past so who knows...

Tesla worried about upsetting owners because they're feeling like they spent more than they should have compared to current purchasers? Look at all the people who've paid way more for their cars before all the price drops - Tesla certainly isn't compensating them. What was that quote from Elon something like people aren't willing to "write us checks" when prices raise again. How about the people who bought a Model S and paid 20 grand extra for Ludicrous only for it to become free the next day? Do you really think Tesla cares that much over a few grand delta? Especially if it means a possible significant profit for them? I highly doubt it. If Tesla isn't doing it, I believe it's for other reasons and/or timing but certainly not for fear of a few early adopter Performance owners getting butt hurt because they paid more for something that eventually gets offered for less en masse to a wider audience.

Tesla worried about upsetting owners because they're feeling like they spent more than they should have compared to current purchasers? Look at all the people who've paid way more for their cars before all the price drops - Tesla certainly isn't compensating them. What was that quote from Elon something like people aren't willing to "write us checks" when prices raise again. How about the people who bought a Model S and paid 20 grand extra for Ludicrous only for it to become free the next day? Do you really think Tesla cares that much over a few grand delta? Especially if it means a possible significant profit for them? I highly doubt it. If Tesla isn't doing it, I believe it's for other reasons and/or timing but certainly not for fear of a few early adopter Performance owners getting butt hurt because they paid more for something that eventually gets offered for less en masse to a wider audience.

It'd be more a concern of discouraging people to buy a P at purchase time (which is inherently better for Tesla than them buying an AWD and paying less to upgrade later obviously)

If the 990 motor change means such upgrades would no longer be possible on newer cars that obviously changes that math though.

Right - their motors are variables which would change things but also this could just be a deal where the cost to the customer ends up the same (or even potentially more) as a Stealth P3. I think it wouldn't matter as much if it's discouraging them to get the P3+ if their are more orders for them. Lower margin than P3+ but higher volume = higher profit.

Dragtimes Youtuber Brooks has been doing some testing with his P3D he got recently and even commented about the timeslips with the way the power is distributed and how he wonders if the AWD version is just being held back and maybe they could get a paid upgrade as well in this recent video he posted (skip to 8:10)...

Last edited:
Sorry folks, AWD upgrades to Performance ain't never gonna happen. If you want performance, buy the Performance model fer crying out loud!

I wouldn't say it will never happen. I've mentioned this before but there really may be a case of not all AWD LR motors being capable of becoming Performance models. If that's the case, it would piss off a LOT of people if Tesla only sent emails offering the upgrade to those with capable motors. It doesn't matter what Tesla has done historically - the Model 3 is the bread and butter of the company right now - the car that keeps them alive and kicking. They probably REALLY don't want to piss people off.

That said, the above could all be baloney. At the end of the day, people should have bought their LR AWD with no knowledge/expectation of an "uncork" software update. Nobody is owed anything, despite how "nice" it may be.