Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 2019.36.2.3 Software. Front Motor still throttle. Better SoC on this test but I assume that’s almost 10 kW due to this. Power improvement adds 15/20 kW to max overall peak.

STSUKX - Can you explain the rationale of what you are stating in more details and its veracity?, it is very unclear. (est-ce que tu peux expliquer tes propos plus en details quant a leur source et veracite? J'ai du Mal a comprendre en Anglais.)

Logged into my Tesla account today and one of the names has changed and now says Upgrades. Previously I’m sure it said something like Autopilot upgrade.

Found it interesting that they would of changed the name to something more generic. Hopefully a good sign that some upgrade options will be coming. Time will tell what those are. Right now only thing in there is the autopilot to FSD option

Anybody know when this changed?

CFAFFEAA-8A31-48C2-BCBD-0B83D2D2B083.jpeg

STSUKX - Can you explain the rationale of what you are stating in more details and its veracity?, it is very unclear. (est-ce que tu peux expliquer tes propos plus en details quant a leur source et veracite? J'ai du Mal a comprendre en Anglais.)

That was certainly too short to fully explain. You can speak with me in English, that will be easier for every readers.

I was saying that in the previous test with older software (2019.32.12), I had a lower SoC approx 88% than with the 5% update (2019.36.2) with 99,7% SoC and I assume that will translate by almost 10 kW more peak power. The rest of power increase (15 kW) is due to the last update.

For better understanding, you should watch the battery power value in the second part of the video. It’s on average 340 kW with 5% increase update and 315 kW with older software.

Reactions: kinito
Logged into my Tesla account today and one of the names has changed and now says Upgrades. Previously I’m sure it said something like Autopilot upgrade.

Found it interesting that they would of changed the name to something more generic. Hopefully a good sign that some upgrade options will be coming. Time will tell what those are. Right now only thing in there is the autopilot to FSD option

Interesting .... I don’t have anything like that. Just Premium Connectivity ... which I don’t need until my 1yr trial is up.

7C8A8E3C-26E0-4EAF-85C0-AE02F4B515B1.png

Reactions: x-cimo
That was certainly too short to fully explain. You can speak with me in English, that will be easier for every readers.

I was saying that in the previous test with older software (2019.32.12), I had a lower SoC approx 88% than with the 5% update (2019.36.2) with 99,7% SoC and I assume that will translate by almost 10 kW more peak power. The rest of power increase (15 kW) is due to the last update.

For better understanding, you should watch the battery power value in the second part of the video. It’s on average 340 kW with 5% increase update and 315 kW with older software.

So you are saying that the stealth mode is controlled by the computer only or do you think that there is a motor upgrade needed too?

So you are saying that the stealth mode is controlled by the computer only or do you think that there is a motor upgrade needed too?

You should read the first 67(!) pages of this thread, but the short answer is some believe it is only a software setting, while others believe its a motor/inverter change needed as well.

To add to the complexity, there have apparently been different motor part numbers in use for the rear motors for AWD's since sometime this year, and they might well be incapable of getting more power via software change.

You should read the first 67(!) pages of this thread, but the short answer is some know for a fact the motors are the same up to about the end of 2018, and began changing on the AWD non-P in the early months of 2019 (with some cars still getting the same-as-P motors as late as at least April 2019)....and some don't believe in facts

Fixed your post for you :)

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
So the shorter answer is we have no idea what the actual differences are between AWD and P3D- vehicles other than speculation about motor part numbers that were the same and now maybe are different for some cars.

I'm a believer in that it's the same physical car, at least up to end of 2018. But you're right, we don't know for sure. However if the inverter is truly different all that would mean is different peak power. The peak power of a P is higher than an AWD but not by a huge margin. The biggest difference is the artificially slow power ramp up from 0mph. Even if the motors and inverter are actually different I see no reason why they can't make it ramp with a natural curve like the P, just topping out slightly less due to hardware limitations. That change alone is certainly possible and would get us 90% of the way there.

As someone who thinks it's only a firmware change I've been holding 20 $100's in my hand for months waiting for Tesla to take it and make my car a stealth P. lol

Best,
Gene

Reactions: Sherlo
So the shorter answer is we have no idea what the actual differences are between AWD and P3D- vehicles other than speculation about motor part numbers that were the same and now maybe are different for some cars.

I mean, we do though.

The parts catalog shows the entire drive unit (which includes motor and inverter) is the same for P3 (+ and -) and for all the 2018 AWD LR with the same 980 rear drive unit.

The AWD non-P changed the rear DU to 990 (largely appearing in the US circa April 2019, but a very few scattered reports before that, as well as 980s up to and past that)

Front drive units remain the same across all 3 to this very day.

Battery and all the electrical stuff is the same as well.

The only other place you find any performance-specific stuff in the parts catalog is the obvious, known, differences like the suspension and P3D+ brakes.

So AWD (with 980) vs P3D-, power wise, the only difference is software because the hardware parts are literally the same part numbers.

• Love
I mean, we do though.

The parts catalog shows the entire drive unit (which includes motor and inverter) is the same for P3 (+ and -) and for all the 2018 AWD LR with the same 980 rear drive unit.

The AWD non-P changed the rear DU to 990 (largely appearing in the US circa April 2019, but a very few scattered reports before that, as well as 980s up to and past that)

Front drive units remain the same across all 3 to this very day.

Battery and all the electrical stuff is the same as well.

The only other place you find any performance-specific stuff in the parts catalog is the obvious, known, differences like the suspension and P3D+ brakes.

So AWD (with 980) vs P3D-, power wise, the only difference is software because the hardware parts are literally the same part numbers.

Don't get me wrong..... I'm firmly in the "its just a software change" camp, at least if you have the 980 motor. I'm also hoping for a Christmas surprise(with my August '18 AWD)

Reactions: mrau and phantasms

View attachment 487967
Oooh this could be something! I think my motor is 980(Nov 2018 build) and hopefully something great happens in Christmas I wish.

Reactions: Sherlo
Swipe right my man.

Also, this is a great catch. Let's hope it's about more than just giving SR+ folks the ability to heat their butts.

believe me, swiped across 6 ways from Sunday. It’s not there.

and yes, I’ve got an LR AWD with FSD ... so the only possible “upgrade” could be a stealth performance option. And I doubt we’d ever see that.

• Informative
Just a reminder that either the MaxTorque firmware settings are different between the the Model 3 AWD and Model 3 P, or the individual motor torque settings are. Not just the MaxPower firmware setting.

When the S and X uncorking happened there was an initial tendency to focus on the power increase when the torque changes were all anyone would notice.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong..... I'm firmly in the "its just a software change" camp, at least if you have the 980 motor. I'm also hoping for a Christmas surprise(with my August '18 AWD)

Did everybody just forget that with the recent CAN data findings the limits where mostly on the front 960-motor on the AWD, not the rear? There was only a 10kW input difference on the rear (before 2019.36). So 990 vs. 980 might not make that big a difference.

Btw - recent EU registrations looks like this (still missing a few data points for the latest Performance as they just started to arrive).

tesla-output.png