Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like it will be the 20% boost that has been talked about before. Someone else got that and that’s probably what we’re seeing here?

I had heard about this 20% boost going to people in the UK right when the Model 3 was being introduced to that market - for those who had reserved LR AWD but only Performance became offered once they actually started shipping so people were pissed off because they would have to of paid more? I don't know if that was the exact situation but that's what I recall reading somewhere.

I have never seen acceleration performance numbers reported from these supposed "20%" boosted cars. I wonder if there are any of those owners on these forums who could provide such?

Between this, the TSLA stock boom, and ummm that other thing I'm not sure I can mention on this thread, what an awesome day it's been.

Please mention that 3rd thing for those of us in the dark!

And of course this is all happening because of that petition ;)

What I don’t understand is why Tesla would introduce another variant of its software. There is real, hard cost associated with supporting, maintaining, testing, etc. another version that would not exist if they simply upgraded folks to P software.

• Love
Reactions: MagnusMako
What I don’t understand is why Tesla would introduce another variant of its software. There is real, hard cost associated with supporting, maintaining, testing, etc. another version that would not exist if they simply upgraded folks to P software.

Arguably they can just recycle the power limit code they already used for the P3D- from before either 5% power bump.

I mean if this really does knock ~0.5 off 0-60, and we know the rollout # NOW on AWD is ~3.9, that'd be right about where the P3D- was originally.

Reactions: phantasms
Please mention that 3rd thing for those of us in the dark!

And of course this is all happening because of that petition ;)

The only reason why I think they’re not doing a simple upgrade to P software is that the later AWD cars (990 motor) cannot support P speed. Rather than only offer the upgrade to 2018/980 cars, they’re offering the max that the 990 supports to everyone so more people will buy.

This also has the side-effect of protecting P sales.

Reactions: Krash
Between this, the TSLA stock boom, and ummm that other thing I'm not sure I can mention on this thread, what an awesome day it's been.

Well at first it seemed IMProbable to get this IMProvement, but I am glad they will be IMPlementing it soon and should make for some IMPressive driving.

Not sure of anything else the poster could be thinking of. :)

This seems reasonable. Maybe in the future there will be an extra $1k upgrade for the older cars to squeeze those last few tenths out?

The only reason why I think they’re not doing a simple upgrade to P software is that the later AWD cars (990 motor) cannot support P speed. Rather than only offer the upgrade to 2018/980 cars, they’re offering the max that the 990 supports to everyone so more people will buy.

This also has the side-effect of protecting P sales.

New interesting data point crawling through source code on the Model 3 design page.

There are two 0-60mph numbers in the code:
- 3.5s
- 3.3s

Hopefully the paid upgrade will get AWD owners within 0.2s of P numbers. And it looks like they may start reporting P without the 1-foot rollout? Would 3.3s be that number post 5% bump?