Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are few things worse than the 980/990 motor debate.

Adding THAT debate to this thread would be one of them.

Here's a fun idea.

The code everyone is freaking out about turns out to only be for NEW LR AWD cars and those built after the rear DU switched to 990.

The "full P unlock" for $3500 for 980 rear DU AWD cars just hasn't been added to the web code yet.

Here's a fun idea.

The code everyone is freaking out about turns out to only be for NEW LR AWD cars and those built after the rear DU switched to 990.

The "full P unlock" for $3500 for 980 rear DU AWD cars just hasn't been added to the web code yet.

I feel like I just read this somewhere :). Seriously, our cars are becoming like video games with in app purchases. Damn you Elon... copying Electronic Arts.

I have never seen acceleration performance numbers reported from these supposed "20%" boosted cars. I wonder if there are any of those owners on these forums who could provide such?

I have some numbers from a known 20% updated AWD from before the 5% upgrade in 2019.36 and after the first 5% at 2019.8.
201m (1/8 mile) at 7.5-7.7s and 0-100km/h at 3.7s (from stand still / no roll-out).

Arguably they can just recycle the power limit code they already used for the P3D- from before either 5% power bump.

They already had this planned a long time ago I believe. It was quite clear on the AWD's that got the 20% update in the beginning of the year that it was "semi-official" as it had some nice "popup" warnings etc. to the user when installed (like "be aware of the extra power, pay attention when accelerating" etc.).
They have a nice eco-system for upgrades now. Maybe we will see more down the line (maybe not performance, but other things). Can't wait for Tesla to open an app-store. :)

Last edited:
I have some numbers from a known 20% updated AWD from before the 5% upgrade in 2019.36 and after the first 5% at 2019.8.
201m (1/8 mile) at 7.5-7.7s and 0-100km/h at 3.7s (from stand still / no roll-out).

That’s exactly what I expected with an uncorked front motor. With 4.1s 0-100 km/h there is still room for improvement and I think 2000$ is a bit overpriced. For that price, they should allow to go 3,7s 0-100 and 3,5s 0-60.

But in any case, I will buy the package and test it with CAN to truly see the differences.

Theory can now be either proven if ALL AWD cars get P3D- Performance figures or still lurk around if no definite answer

Not completely a P3D- with 990 rear part but almost the same, only a 25 kW difference on the rear one vs a 980. That’s more than 60 kW on the front that throttles like hell. 3,7s 0-60 w/o rollout and 3,5s w/ is clearly achievable if we take into account the 3,2s time for a P3D advertised by Tesla.

Reactions: phantasms
Not completely a P3D- with 990 rear part but almost the same, only a 25 kW difference on the rear one vs a 980. That’s more than 60 kW on the front that throttles like hell. 3,7s 0-60 w/o rollout and 3,5s w/ is clearly achievable if we take into account the 3,2s time for a P3D advertised by Tesla.

Thanks for the reminder. I wonder if it makes sense now to still try to hold out for a stealth if they can match you now with an AWD of your liking (e.g. white interior) vs. having to make the trade off just to be able to get a stealth.

Thanks for the reminder. I wonder if it makes sense now to still try to hold out for a stealth if they can match you now with an AWD of your liking (e.g. white interior) vs. having to make the trade off just to be able to get a stealth.

Yeah, go for the Stealth, you are guaranteed performance speed without the pup vs maybe getting close to stealth with this update but at same $. I am not sure how they will get around the fact that if they make these AWD LRs close to performance speed you will have almost identical models in terms of price but different nomenclature, with P3D- obviously the more premium in terms of name only. Plus with the P3D- you are actually buying a Performance model, vs an AWD that is slightly faster than normal AWD.

Reactions: john85775