Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20191218-195449.png

Third one I dropped my phone and had to restart may have pulled up on the 1/4 mile

This makes the most sense to me.

To those on the fence...

I just got home from the mall. Ewww. I checked the account, saw it, *sugar* myself, cleaned all that up, bought it, it instantly installed. I hit pay and the car rebooted. Pretty cool. There’s literally snow falling on the ice on the roads near me. Ahhh F it I went out. It’s so worth it. It really gives that hit. I was at 80% and it’s 23 degrees. A half second to 60 makes a huge difference, especially at this level. As expected it seems we went from essentially 3.9 to 3.4. While it’s still .4 from a stealth it’s pretty damn stout. It absolutely can be felt far more dramatically than previous free updates. It throws your head back and after several hard launches, in the snow [this car is so awesome], I’m now a bit sick to my stomach. Success!!!!

BUY IT!!!
You’re making it very difficult to NOT buy it.

So I was going to do 1/4 mile on the toll road but there was too many cars (I prefer next to none) and oddly enough 1 car pulled over by a state trooper and right as I was coming up on a cross road another tropper doing a U turn under the toll road. Nope lol.

With that said, I managed to drive to another spot and atleast get an 1/8th mile reading. Came in at [email protected] mph with 78% SoC. All in all, well worth it to me. Face gets a little flush and I can feel it pulling hard from the low, middle and even high end. While it's not quite a P (which I actually haven't driven yet, though I've driven a P90D) I'm pretty satisfied. It's a) much cheaper than what you'd have to put down to get the same increases in an ICE car, way more convenient, no maintenance of your 'mods' and best of all - the car is still under warranty. I'm betting this car does high 11's in the 1/4 mile now. Will know when I get a better chance to test out.

Screenshot_20191218-212918.png

0-100 km/h 3.46s
1/4 mile 12.96s @ 151.4 km/h

The 1/4 mile time is awful- result of wet/cold roads or did you let up at the end?

Post 5% AWDs have been putting down like 12.2-12.3 times at ~188 kph

I'd expect with this 2k unlock they'd be hitting 11.8-11.9? (though probably not much higher trap speeds given the AWD and P were already quite close there)

Reactions: phantasms
I bought it too -- a little hard to test because it's 34 deg F here and lightly snowing -- I went to the supercharger to warm her up. Daaaaamnnn, is she ever fast now. I agree with the term 'violent'. I don't notice a big difference on take off, but 40-70 mph it's like a rocket giving me tunnel vision again.

There's a turn onto a hill after coming home from the store I take, and in the past she always hit the apex at around 70mph. This time it was 85mph+ !!

Last edited:
So the debate about 980 vs 990 still lives, right @Knightshade ? Since this did not bring AWD to P-AWD? Which also now makes P3D- the Best Buy. Why buy AWD and pay 2K and still not be close to stealth?

not that anyone cares, but I am passing on this because this does not bring model 3 LR AWD to be as quick as model 3 performance

ps: I used many different abbreviations above to describe just 3 variations of Model 3.

I am passing on this because this does not bring model 3 LR AWD to be as quick as model 3 performance
I'm curious, if you are passing on this, then what is your solution? Drive a slower car because you don't feel this is close to performance? What is your upgrade path to getting performance speed? Honest questions, I'm not trying to be snarky.

I'm curious, if you are passing on this, then what is your solution? Drive a slower car because you don't feel this is close to performance? What is your upgrade path to getting performance speed? Honest questions, I'm not trying to be snarky.

On reddit, people were complaining about P3D- is only $2k more for a much better performance. The issue here isn't choosing between a LR AWD and P3D-. If one already owns a LR AWD, especially from earlier production, there are no other reasonable options. I thought about selling my LR AWD to get a P3D- -- would take a bath.

So the debate about 980 vs 990 still lives, right @Knightshade ?

Depends which part you're asking about.

Some of it was facts people refused to accept as facts... (that a 980 is a 980 no matter which model it came in for example-proven by the fact the 980 is a part that doesn't require a VIN to purchase a replacement of- something that'd be impossible if there were "special" 980s) and some remains speculation.... (like what, exactly, the difference is between 980 and 990).

We can be pretty sure though the 990 can't offer the same performance in total as the 980 (otherwise they'd use them in Ps too since they have to be cheaper to make than 980s)... so they're instead selling an upgrade both 990 and 980 can handle.

So as I said most likely reason we got what we did here is they didn't want to have to deal with whatever that 980/990 difference is and have 2 different offerings depending when your AWD was built.

Since this did not bring AWD to P-AWD? Which also now makes P3D- the Best Buy. Why buy AWD and pay 2K and still not be close to stealth?

The P3D-, in 2019 form, was always the best buy.

In 2018 form you could argue that a bit more given it was as much as $6000 more, not $2000, compared to the AWD.

May I remind us that the title of this thread is "AWD owners wanting a P3D". Yeah, for people who *don't already own a Model 3*, the choice is simple to get a P3D-.

As I wrote many pages back, when I bought my AWD in June I had no idea about the P3D-. When I learned about them shortly after, I seriously looked into selling my 2 month old car, and contacted two auto-brokers, looked into loan rates (they had gone up considerably), etc. I would have lost around $10k or more to move from the AWD to the P3D-.

Sigh, I let up after the 1/8 ding from the app thinking it was the 1/4, what a dumbass.
The 1/4 mile time is awful- result of wet/cold roads or did you let up at the end?

Post 5% AWDs have been putting down like 12.2-12.3 times at ~188 kph

I'd expect with this 2k unlock they'd be hitting 11.8-11.9? (though probably not much higher trap speeds given the AWD and P were already quite close there)

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms