Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in a similar boat. $2000 for .5 sec faster 0-60 is objectively a great deal. I was hoping for the full P speed upgrade or at least include track mode, as-is it's less of an instant buy. I'm interested to see more real world tests over the next couple of days.

I am very confused after reading all this. What is the difference between a LR AWD with the upgrade -and a stealth? I'm talking physically and with specs? It seems like there are so many variable when going faster and the numbers are all different. Help!!

Pretty sure almost all LR-AWD models had 980 prior to April 2019

Lightly disappointing, but need to assume that then. I have LR-AWD. Bought the upgrade anyway :) Still few hours before I can test.

It won't make a difference for the upgrade you just bought. Your car will be just as fast as any other LR-AWD with the upgrade.
The whole 980/990 topic is based around speculation. No one (outside of Tesla anyway) actually knows if there is a real difference between the two. Also, it seems that it is the front motor that is capped the most (the 980/990 is related to the rear unit) relative to the Performance.

Very unpopular opinion, but I’ll pass on this one. I’d rather keep the extra $2k and take a vacation with it. It’s not as if the LR AWD in its current form is slow ...

the more interesting part, IMO, is that we now have an Upgrades tab in the Tesla app. And even better - it shows which upgrades you’ve previously purchased.

FCD226D4-A676-43BB-986C-77F395F491AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lobstahz and Hank42
You have to delete the app and reinstall. I did and logged back in and boom it’s there. Also for people that want to save a little bit of money...Apple Card has 2% cash back on Apple Pay purchases. If you buy through the app...you’ll get it supposedly.

• Informative
Reactions: TyH2009
You have to delete the app and reinstall. I did and logged back in and boom it’s there. Also for people that want to save a little bit of money...Apple Card has 2% cash back on Apple Pay purchases. If you buy through the app...you’ll get it supposedly.

Funny you say that. I was trying to do just this this morning with no luck. I’ve had no issues using my Apple Card, especially not with Apple Pay. However this morning the charge won’t go through and there’s nothing in the wallet app telling me it was even attempted. I did delete and reinstall the app as well.

FB8B39F9-99A8-47B7-9282-FEC095B2F8BA.jpeg

Very unpopular opinion, but I’ll pass on this one. I’d rather keep the extra $2k and take a vacation with it. It’s not as if the LR AWD in its current form is slow ...

Agreed, call me cheap but knowing that Stealth cars had the same $2k premium yet came with track mode and 0.7 second faster acceleration makes the acceleration boost a bad value for me. Now, if it was $1k for half the performance boost (compared to Stealth) then I could have talked myself into buying it...

Tesla is ultra conservative with the 3.9 number which is laughable because we all know the AWD car in its current form is not 4.4 sec.

I am surprised that they used "Sport" as the menu option which is the same name as the performance cars. I was expecting something like AWD+ or something different.

Some have said they are not going max performance on the 980 motors and that Tesla compromised and used the 990 motor best case and then made all the AWDs the same. If that is the case do they then have different accel curve mapping when a car is in "Sport mode? That seems more complicated software wise and much more testing Tesla would need to do for release and validation. Like 1 curve for performance, 1 for a 980 and a different for the 990 motor?

Is it possible that when the accel curve says 20% power or 90% power the motor produces it's % requested power based on the what the motor can do (design, inverters, etc it has installed). I was thinking those smarts are in the motor firmware and the car then tells the motor the % or whatever number they use to determine the amount. This scenario I could see a 980 being a different performance than a 990 motor.

Anyway I seen someone post the new 0-60 time and I believe they had a 990 motor. Has anyone posted an new time with a 980 motor using a Dragy? I need to see what a 980 now does to better understand what they are doing.

Reactions: pandabear
After updating the Tesla app I still did not have the UPGRADES option. I powered down the iPhone and then turned it back on. No need to re-login to the Tesla app. The UPGRADES option is now there between SUMMON and SCHEDULE SERVICE.
Be patient. The option won’t go away. You maybe need to wait a day or 2 but it’ll come if you want to save a little bit of money. This is only by using the Apple Card....FYI. Also if you’re impatient then use the web browser.

Tesla is ultra conservative with the 3.9 number which is laughable because we all know the AWD car in its current form is not 4.4 sec.

I am surprised that they used "Sport" as the menu option which is the same name as the performance cars. I was expecting something like AWD+ or something different.

Some have said they are not going max performance on the 980 motors and that Tesla compromised and used the 990 motor best case and then made all the AWDs the same. If that is the case do they then have different accel curve mapping when a car is in "Sport mode? That seems more complicated software wise and much more testing Tesla would need to do for release and validation. Like 1 curve for performance, 1 for a 980 and a different for the 990 motor?

Is it possible that when the accel curve says 20% power or 90% power the motor produces it's % requested power based on the what the motor can do (design, inverters, etc it has installed). I was thinking those smarts are in the motor firmware and the car then tells the motor the % or whatever number they use to determine the amount. This scenario I could see a 980 being a different performance than a 990 motor.

Anyway I seen someone post the new 0-60 time and I believe they had a 990 motor. Has anyone posted an new time with a 980 motor using a Dragy? I need to see what a 980 now does to better understand what they are doing.

How do you check if you have the 980 or 990 motor?

It won't make a difference for the upgrade you just bought. Your car will be just as fast as any other LR-AWD with the upgrade.
The whole 980/990 topic is based around speculation. No one (outside of Tesla anyway) actually knows if there is a real difference between the two.

We absolutely know there is a difference.

Otherwise there'd be no reason for the 990 to exist.

We don't know exactly what the difference (or differences) are- but we can conclude a few things by considering 2 ideas-

1) It's cheaper
2) It's less capable.

We know both have to be true because:

If it were NOT cheaper (regardless of being less capable or not) it wouldn't exist. They'd just keep using the 980.

If it IS cheaper, but NOT less capable- they'd use it in everything including the P but they keep using the 980 in the P.

Therefore the 990 is:

Cheaper and less capable, by simple deduction based on facts and use.

How much? Dunno. But cheaper enough to be worth its existence it seems, and still capable enough to handle this 2k unlock at least.

• Informative
Reactions: omkar