Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sitting here with a spreadsheet and struggling... I was already planning to buy 20” wheels and tires this spring. When you factor in that cost plus the boost, by my math I figure I can get into a brand new Performance model (not stealth) for an extra $4k. That includes my $3750 rebate from this year and $1875 assuming I could take delivery by 12/31.

That makes this upgrade a much harder decision :confused:

I am sitting here with a spreadsheet and struggling... I was already planning to buy 20” wheels and tires this spring. When you factor in that cost plus the boost, by my math I figure I can get into a brand new Performance model (not stealth) for an extra $4k. That includes my $3750 rebate from this year and $1875 assuming I could take delivery by 12/31.

That makes this upgrade a much harder decision :confused:
Sounds like you convinced yourself and have a plan! Good luck!

Not really. Model requires private party sale. 2020 VIN shows P, so haven’t factored insurance into mix. PITA factor to do all of this is extremely high.

Honestly probably not worth it to me. Fun idea but practically a huge annoyance and waste of tome and money. More likely I’ll drive this for a couple years at least and then upgrade when there’s a 100kw version with much better range and true ludi :)

How are you enjoying the boost @jebinc ?

Not really. Model requires private party sale. 2020 VIN shows P, so haven’t factored insurance into mix. PITA factor to do all of this is extremely high.

Honestly probably not worth it to me. Fun idea but practically a huge annoyance and waste of tome and money. More likely I’ll drive this for a couple years at least and then upgrade when there’s a 100kw version with much better range and true ludi :)

How are you enjoying the boost @jebinc ?
@Urbancowboy
I very much enjoy the boost and how the car drives, overall, with the boost ==> Feels telepathic now! :D:eek:

Another thing to consider, "Boosted AWD+" vs "P3D-/P3D+" is the fact the P3D- VIN classifies it as Performance, and the Insurance will be higher. With the AWD+, it's still an AWD, insurance wise. And before someone jumps in and says otherwise, or that insurance wouldn't cover my Boost Option if not reported after a total loss, I already asked my Allstate Agent. Posted that response in the other insurance thread.

Effect of Acceleration Boost on insurance rates

EDIT: So, while we AWD+ owners didn't get the full P acceleration, we also didn't the higher insurance premium, either! :eek::p

Last edited:
Another thing to consider, "Boosted AWD+" vs "P3D-/P3D+" is the fact the P3D- VIN classifies it as Performance, and the Insurance will be higher. With the AWD+, it's still an AWD, insurance wise. And before someone jumps in and says otherwise, or that insurance wouldn't cover my Boost Option if not reported after a total loss, I already asked my Allstate Agent. Posted that response in the other insurance thread.

Effect of Acceleration Boost on insurance rates

EDIT: So, while we AWD+ owners didn't get the full P acceleration, we also didn't the higher insurance premium, either! :eek::p

Depends on the insurance company. Some don’t distinguish between the VINs. But yep it’s something to bear in mind if cost is a factor. Certainly worth checking with your insurance the difference between a LR AWD and 3P. Also you may want to ask about the boost upgrade affecting premiums, though this sort of thing is going to be quite new to all insurance agents, so I wouldn’t expect anything useful out of them at this point.

Depends on the insurance company. Some don’t distinguish between the VINs. But yep it’s something to bear in mind if cost is a factor. Certainly worth checking with your insurance the difference between a LR AWD and 3P. Also you may want to ask about the boost upgrade affecting premiums, though this sort of thing is going to be quite new to all insurance agents, so I wouldn’t expect anything useful out of them at this point.

This changed with the 2020 VINs AFAIK. Older MY VINs were ambiguous on AWD or P trim.

I have a Dragy if you want to do some comparisons/testing with me!

I’d really like to ride in a boosted one before deciding. Will check to see if there is a Nashville group here. SCs should offer test drives on their demo cars. Would seem like an easy sales tactic.

Only thing I notice is power levels at 40-80 is higher which is good. Launch won’t make you feel sick or anything. Honestly it’s noticeable but not THAT Noticeable. You sound like your on the verge of buying urban and I’m here to try to stop you from having buyers remorse.

And I genuinely appreciate it! Tesla should really offer a trial period for this.

I have seen the data, and it doesn’t seem possible for it to feel minor. Have you run with a preconditioned battery with 80%+ SoC?

And I genuinely appreciate it! Tesla should really offer a trial period for this.

I have seen the data, and it doesn’t seem possible for it to feel minor. Have you run with a preconditioned battery with 80%+ SoC?
A Trial Period would be nice, but one isn't offered. If money isn't a material factor in your decision, the phrase "You Only Live Once (YOLO)" may be applicable.

Here is the video that Brooks from DragTimes made today that compared my AWD+ to his M3 Performance. I am driving his white performance M3 and he is driving my midnight silver AWD+.

Here are the 0-60 VBOX stats for the AWD+.

0-60-Times-VBOX.jpg

Here is the best 1/4 mile for the AWD+.

quarter-mile-Time-VBOX.jpg

And here is the video.

Both of the times that were were rolling and then punched it, we were already going about 50 MPH. I let off at about 100 MPH in that one run and he did not. That is the only reason that the AWD+ overtakes the P. FYI

Here is the video that Brooks from DragTimes made today that compared my AWD+ to his M3 Performance. I am driving his white performance M3 and he is driving my midnight silver AWD+.

View attachment 491621

View attachment 491622

And here is the video.

Both of the times that were were rolling and then punched it, we were already going about 50 MPH. I let off at about 100 MPH in that one run and he did not. That is the only reason that the AWD+ overtakes the P. FYI
Awesome video and summary, thanks!

View attachment 491621

View attachment 491622

And here is the video.

Holy getting dizzy watching that first minute.
Great video though. seemed like the AWD+ kinda had a little more juice on the top end race.

Last edited: