Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I jest but that's why I was willing to wait months for a P3D-. Luckily it only took 2 months, but I was willing to go the long haul if needed to get the exact car I wanted. That said, had I ended up with a LR AWD, I'd be all over this $2k upgrade - that's chump change for that level of performance increase with a warranty compared to aftermarket mods on an ICE vehicle.

The badge should read "Hi - I should have bought a P3D to begin with, but I didn't, so I dropped 2 large on software update that makes it faster but still not as fast the P3D. Have a nice day".
Ah man! I wish I knew about you in October 2018 when I purchased for that extra $11,000 you seem willing to have given me!

Jokes on me though since I paid a total of $66,800 for my LR AWD ($62,800) + FSD (later for $2k) + Acceleration Boost (later for $2k). Meanwhile two of my friends have sleeper Performance models and paid less than me, even considering the $7,500 tax credit.

Ah man! I wish I knew about you in October 2018 when I purchased for that extra $11,000 you seem willing to have given me!

Jokes on me though since I paid a total of $66,800 for my LR AWD ($62,800) + FSD (later for $2k) + Acceleration Boost (later for $2k). Meanwhile two of my friends have sleeper Performance models and paid less than me, even considering the $7,500 tax credit.
Nice - as did I - will be $48k out the door after state and federal tax credits on my P3D-

For those of us who like badging (such as myself), what are your feelings on a badge for the Acceleration Boosted Dual Motor LR AWD? I was considering throwing an underline under my dual motor badge, but I'm not into misrepresenting the vehicle and even with the acceleration boost, it's not a performance model. I also considered adding the + from here to the end of the Dual Motor name, but that would probably look tacky. I could just leave it alone, but I thought it would be neat for those of us who purchased the acceleration boost and enjoy badging to add something on. For those who think even the OEM badging is silly and tacky, I realize this seems blasphemous, but keep in mind some of us like the look!

Ironic, I have the underline on my rear badge which came delivered to me like that...and I have an AWD+.

Would much rather have the red underline in the software! Tesla is being extra stingy though...

Although, this is now the second time my wife spilled her drink all over herself cause I had to accelerate from a stop (nowhere near full throttle)...Might not make it to 2021 if I go faster.

I have a boosted AWD now (AWD+), but never even got the Dual Motor badge. My car is an August ‘18 build, and at the time they must have run out of badges. Anyway, since the boost, I’m thinking of putting my Aero caps back on to up the sleeper quotient. I figure that the Aero caps are pretty much the best way of making the car look more humble. They’re the anti-badge!

For those of us who like badging (such as myself), what are your feelings on a badge for the Acceleration Boosted Dual Motor LR AWD? I was considering throwing an underline under my dual motor badge, but I'm not into misrepresenting the vehicle and even with the acceleration boost, it's not a performance model. I also considered adding the + from here to the end of the Dual Motor name, but that would probably look tacky. I could just leave it alone, but I thought it would be neat for those of us who purchased the acceleration boost and enjoy badging to add something on. For those who think even the OEM badging is silly and tacky, I realize this seems blasphemous, but keep in mind some of us like the look!

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
Ironic, I have the underline on my rear badge which came delivered to me like that...and I have an AWD+.

Would much rather have the red underline in the software! Tesla is being extra stingy though...

Although, this is now the second time my wife spilled her drink all over herself cause I had to accelerate from a stop (nowhere near full throttle)...Might not make it to 2021 if I go faster.

I thought about asking tesla to add the red underline in the app but they probably wouldn’t since that would falsely show the car as performance when it isn’t.

I have a boosted AWD now (AWD+), but never even got the Dual Motor badge. My car is an August ‘18 build, and at the time they must have run out of badges. Anyway, since the boost, I’m thinking of putting my Aero caps back on to up the sleeper quotient. I figure that the Aero caps are pretty much the best way of making the car look more humble. They’re the anti-badge!

Haha that is true.

I was a very dissapointed after my first few launches. I cannot feel any difference in the 0-30 or 0-60. I don't doubt that there is a difference but it is not something that I subjectively feel. For 2K wanted to feel the difference not just know it was there on paper.

But once I got on bigger / faster roads. WOW! There is a very noticeable difference in the 30 - 70 range.

Pre upgrade the only time the car felt super powerful was when starting from a full stop. Even a 10 MPH roll killed most of the excitement out of stomping on the pedal. Post upgrade, the car can put a smile on my face even when I'm starting from a 45 mph roll.

Opportunities for a rolling start are more frequent on my roads than a full stop. So I am quite pleased with the upgrade. I also wonder if I am traction limited from a full stop on my winter tires and there may be another surprise in store for me next summer.

I was a very dissapointed after my first few launches. I cannot feel any difference in the 0-30 or 0-60. I don't doubt that there is a difference but it is not something that I subjectively feel. For 2K wanted to feel the difference not just know it was there on paper.

But once I got on bigger / faster roads. WOW! There is a very noticeable difference in the 30 - 70 range.

Pre upgrade the only time the car felt super powerful was when starting from a full stop. Even a 10 MPH roll killed most of the excitement out of stomping on the pedal. Post upgrade, the car can put a smile on my face even when I'm starting from a 45 mph roll.

Opportunities for a rolling start are more frequent on my roads than a full stop. So I am quite pleased with the upgrade. I also wonder if I am traction limited from a full stop on my winter tires and there may be another surprise in store for me next summer.
If the roads were wet or cold, traction control could have limited the acceleration. I know when the roads and tires are dry, I notice a huge difference (compared to wet o cold roads). Likewise, no regen does seems to make a difference as well (warm battery).

Must be. I had to stop the car to allow a passenger to recover after I floored it off a turn in my AWD+. Actually felt kind of bad cause of it!

• Funny
Reactions: pandabear
Decided to add this with the acceleration boost :)

D37246DE-5837-4C67-B9FC-42BFA971547B.jpeg

Nice! Abstract Ocen has the “+” in Tesla don’t for under $5. I ordered it last week and will decide upon receipt. Figured for a couple bucks, why not see if I like it.

This is that exact one! $3 shipped.

To each their own. To me it looks like your Tesla got religious :)

That’s my only current hesitation with it seeing as I’m not Christian. I’ll need to look at it a bit more but does give off that look a bit, I agree.

While granted I have a P3D-, I think that a LR AWD with the + upgrade is likely plenty fast! In my P3D- I have never been able to floor the car in street traffic - never, or I'd end up in the back of someone in front of me. On a clear freeway, I can possibly floor the car for 1 or 2 seconds. Possibly ... If there is no one around me (very light use). There is so much instantaneous power that it really becomes unusable after a point.

The speed on a Performance (P3D- or P3D+) is nice, but really too fast for ordinary driving. I like it - a lot, but it is excessive. I like knowing I have the power, though I really don't get to use it. I can imagine that the AWD "+" upgrade is a good boost with more than enough power.

After a little over a month with a P3D-, the thought of one of these 2.3 sec (0-60) Model S cars frightens me. And I have driven Porsche Carreras for almost 30 years.

While granted I have a P3D-, I think that a LR AWD with the + upgrade is likely plenty fast! In my P3D- I have never been able to floor the car in street traffic - never, or I'd end up in the back of someone in front of me. On a clear freeway, I can possibly floor the car for 1 or 2 seconds. Possibly ... If there is no one around me (very light use). There is so much instantaneous power that it really becomes unusable after a point.

The speed on a Performance (P3D- or P3D+) is nice, but really too fast for ordinary driving. I like it - a lot, but it is excessive. I like knowing I have the power, though I really don't get to use it. I can imagine that the AWD "+" upgrade is a good boost with more than enough power.

After a little over a month with a P3D-, the thought of one of these 2.3 sec (0-60) Model S cars frightens me. And I have driven Porsche Carreras for almost 30 years.

I'm still on the fence. I still want my as-yet-unpurchased boost to give me the full P. At the same time, even with no boost AWD is plenty fast enough and I imagine that the biggest moment of tire wear is the first second of takeoff in the full P. If giving up a half second at launch is enough to give me a few more months of tire usage, it might be better to not get full P.

I'd still love a third option for acceleration... Chill, Standard, and Sport...

Or an more even more ludicrous option..... pay-per-P-launch, where Tesla bills you like they do with supercharger usage.