Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the service center hoping to trade in my AWD (November 2018 build with 10K miles and FSD) for a performance, and they offered me 36K for it, which is close to 50% depreciation, it's ridiculous!

So my only hope is that the upgrade becomes a real thing....
Carvana quoted me $44.9k for a similar vehicle. Considering a new (base) awd is $48k, it’s not a bad offer.

If you have a base, yes 44.9k is a good deal, my build is 58k today and the offer was 36k...
36k is definitely low. I’m suggesting getting a quote from carvana and/or vroom if you’re still considering an upgrade.

I was going down the same path, but ultimately decided it was too much hassle to trade up. Would happily pay a fee just to pop my existing awd up to Performance acceleration.

No matter what, you are going to take a nice big bath trading up (unless you have an insured total loss), but remember to account for the sales tax implications of a trade-in to Tesla (should roll into the contract and reduce your tax IIRC, but obviously depends on your state), as opposed to selling it somewhere else.

For sh!ts and giggles, I plugged into Tesla trade in value for my November '18 build AWD 3 with FSD, 19" wheels with 6k miles. It came out $32.5k. So yeah, I think that if they want to maximize their cash flow, they would be smart to offer this upgrade. No way that people are going to take a big loss like that for 1 second.

Reactions: kdhsurf83
For sh!ts and giggles, I plugged into Tesla trade in value for my November '18 build AWD 3 with FSD, 19" wheels with 6k miles. It came out $32.5k. So yeah, I think that if they want to maximize their cash flow, they would be smart to offer this upgrade. No way that people are going to take a big loss like that for 1 second.

There is no way I would take a loss to trade in and buy either. Between the trade in loss and new sales tax it would really be flushing a large pile of cash.

Reactions: SammichLover
suggest emailing your service advisor and requesting that they put in a note to the higher ups. I asked for an upgrade to P3D- and they said this:

"As of right now that is not an available “retrofit” for the Model 3. I will submit a feature request on your behalf for visibility."

the request...

One more question, is it possible to get a LR AWD car software flashed to the P3D performance specification? I see that a couple weeks after we bought this car, Tesla now sells a Performance model 3 without the visual bits (brakes, wheels, spoiler). I would have definitely bought that car if it were available. I see from various forums that its only a software change and should be able to be applied to other AWD cars.

If this option isnt available, can you please tell someone in leadership to please make this option available?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I keep seeing posts that say the Performance upgrade is a software upgrade. I don't think it is, I think it has a hardware component. From an article in Electrek:

"The only things that Tesla claims to be doing differently is a more powerful inverter and validating the rear motor for higher output, but it’s still the same motor."

Tesla now offers Model 3 Performance for less than $50,000 by unbundling features - Electrek

Sorry but you are miles behind the discussion. There is much more to it than what some publication on the internet has to say and their unverified sources.

Wow, this thread has really evolved over time. It started as a "sign the petition" to give LR AWD owners a P- upgrade... Now that this seems to be unlikely/not possible, the thread has morphed into M3P- talk. Perhaps it should now be merged with the P3D- thread? :)

It should absolutely be possible for all the AWD cars built with the 980 motors.... unknown what it means for the newer 990 cars right now

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up