Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I am disappointed by the current offering, I am hopeful that they will add additional options to the new vehicle upgrades section. Perhaps:

Acceleration upgrade (1/2 P accel Bost) 2K
Track mode upgrade ( requires prior purchase of acceleration upgrade, includes both Track mode and + other 1/2 accel boost): 2K
20" wheel upgrade: 4K
Big break upgrade: 4K (requires 20" wheels)

For RWD owners, AWD upgrade: 7K.
And for SR+ owners, LR battery upgrade 7K.

Ordering a P+ is 2K cheaper than buying a P- and upgrading it to identical specs.
Ordering a P- is 2K cheaper than buying a AWD and upgrading it to identical specs.
Ordering a LR AWD is 2K cheaper than buying an LR RWD and upgrading it identical specs.
Ordering a LR RWD was 2K cheaper than buying an SR+ and upgrading it to identical specs.

Current owners of higher trim cars have little room to complain, they saved 2K over the person who purchased a lower trim and upgraded.

All of those 2Ks really add up of you want to go from SR -> P+, but for anyone wanting to move up 1-2 levels it is quite reasonable without being unfair to owners who started at the top.

• Funny
Reactions: pandabear and primo

As much as I am disappointed by the current offering, I am hopeful that they will add additional options to the new vehicle upgrades section. Perhaps:

Acceleration upgrade (1/2 P accel Bost) 2K
Track mode upgrade ( requires prior purchase of acceleration upgrade, includes both Track mode and + other 1/2 accel boost): 2K
20" wheel upgrade: 4K
Big break upgrade: 4K (requires 20" wheels)

For RWD owners, AWD upgrade: 7K.
And for SR+ owners, LR battery upgrade 7K.

Ordering a P+ is 2K cheaper than buying a P- and upgrading it to identical specs.
Ordering a P- is 2K cheaper than buying a AWD and upgrading it to identical specs.
Ordering a LR AWD is 2K cheaper than buying an LR RWD and upgrading it identical specs.
Ordering a LR RWD was 2K cheaper than buying an SR+ and upgrading it to identical specs.

Current owners of higher trim cars have little room to complain, they saved 2K over the person who purchased a lower trim and upgraded.

All of those 2Ks really add up of you want to go from SR -> P+, but for anyone wanting to move up 1-2 levels it is quite reasonable without being unfair to owners who started at the top.

Tesla already offers the 20" wheels on their store
Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

I don't think they're going to offer any hardware upgrades. Some of them aren't possible (RWD->AWD), and service centers are already overloaded with warranty work, they don't want to strain them even more.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
This... it should be included for a $2k asking price, IMHO.

I don't get why it has to be included. You're paying for an acceleration upgrade, not a P3D- unlock. It's up to every person to decide if the 2k is worth it or not.

I get and understand the 2k difference between the AWD and P3D- at times (if you can get it) which is why some people think the 2k amount makes sense. That's like buying an iPhone 128GB and then trying to just hand over the price difference and your phone to apple for the iPhone 256GB. They're not going to give it to you for just that exact difference.

Of course, this is software now, so there may be a point there. But I guess there has to be some value add to having the actual "performance model" other than just a few additional tenth of a seconds chopped off.

No, you can't.

In fact the price is almost exactly the same if you order one now as what they cost last year, if you remember that last year buyers got a $7500 tax credit and a $5000 refund check from Tesla.

Exact math has been posted numerous times in this (and other) threads yet people keep getting this so very badly wrong.
I was not offered a $5k check, didn’t get one nor knew about that, and for the less informed, you have to pay $7,5000 in Federal Taxes that year, to receive the full $7,500. This practice is exactly why the government did the right thing by ending EV TAX credits, as they benefit the manufacturer, not the customer. Tesla took full advantage of it.

I was not offered a $5k check, didn’t get one nor knew about that, and for the less informed, you have to pay $7,5000 in Federal Taxes that year, to receive the full $7,500. This practice is exactly why the government did the right thing by ending EV TAX credits, as they benefit the manufacturer, not the customer. Tesla took full advantage of it.

Everyone who bought before the price change where they started including the performance upgrade package for free (ie before they killed the P3D- as orderable) was able to request a $5000 cash refund in exchange for free unlimited supercharging.

So you either got a $5000 check, or you kept FUSC (which new buyers don't get at all).

And yes you have to owe $7500 in taxes to get the credit-- which it'd be pretty unusual for someone NOT to owe if they're buying a "$75,000 car"

So the typical P buyer in this period would've spent $69,000 for a P3D+ or $64,000 for a P3D- (I'm leaving out color charges as these have changed about 900 times in the last 2 years).

Then they could've gotten $12,5000 back between the refund and the credits.

So $56,500 for a P3D+ net price, or $51,500 for a P3D- net price.

If you order a new P3D+ today you'll likely take delivery early next year and pay... $56,990.

Or $490 more than someone who bought last year.

and you won't be getting another $500 in hardware the guy last year got... (Homelink, 14-50 adapter, phone cables, frunk mat and hooks, etc).

The P3D- can't be ordered at all of course, but it's $50,900 if you can find one in inventory- a difference of only $600 the other way from 2018.

So no, people can't buy them today for almost $20,000 less than they could last year.

No, you can't.

In fact the price is almost exactly the same if you order one now as what they cost last year, if you remember that last year buyers got a $7500 tax credit and a $5000 refund check from Tesla.

Exact math has been posted numerous times in this (and other) threads yet people keep getting this so very badly wrong.
Sorry dude, yeah I can.

Yeah...people who bought the P3D+ got screwed hard but hey...you gotta play to play and being first with clout always costs more. I hope it was worth it to y’all. Same *sugar* when limited editions come out and you got to have one immediately. Expect the markup and don’t complain about the market.

id like to know how you didnt have any taxes to pay after your 70k car purchase, genuinely curious, PM if you dont want to discuss here :p

breakingbad.jpg

Reactions: Rachmaninov
One point that hasn’t been mentioned is that a majority of Stealth buyers went through a lot of effort and or compromise to get their cars.

That effort included the decision to buy the cars that were available and not simply ordering the exact paint color, interior and options you wanted.

I’m very fortunate to have found and purchased a W/W Stealth with 19 wheels but I might have ordered a different combination if It was that easy.