Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, go for the Stealth, you are guaranteed performance speed without the pup vs maybe getting close to stealth with this update but at same $. I am not sure how they will get around the fact that if they make these AWD LRs close to performance speed you will have almost identical models in terms of price but different nomenclature, with P3D- obviously the more premium in terms of name only. Plus with the P3D- you are actually buying a Performance model, vs an AWD that is slightly faster than normal AWD.

underrated comment. The residual value difference alone is worth the Performance stealth premium.

Any mods? Lowered? Tires?

Nope, not yet (waiting for MPP coilovers). Stock 19s

With 95 SOC got slight improvement from last night.

Attachments

• DAC54CA5-CF72-44DB-BD8C-CC47B1BB4487.png
    DAC54CA5-CF72-44DB-BD8C-CC47B1BB4487.png
    245 KB · Views: 81
MagnusMako,

Thank you for posting these times!

If your 11.86 1/4 mile time in the AWD+ is accurate, that seems to be P3D speed. The best 1/4 mile time I was able to find on YouTube was 11.685 for a P3D. Can you please confirm that your 11.86 was in a standard AWD with the new speed boost? If so, that is amazing and definitely worth 2K IMO.

I have a 11.631 as a 1/4 in p3d-, and I’m certain there are others here that have even faster times. There is another thread, can’t remember which, that has people posting their time slips.

Reactions: primo
I have a 11.631 as a 1/4 in p3d-, and I’m certain there are others here that have even faster times. There is another thread, can’t remember which, that has people posting their time slips.

Thanks for sharing. The AWD acceleration boost upgrade getting within a few tenths of the P3D in the 1/4 sounds great. I am happy it was made available both as an AWD owner and a $TSLA stock owner.

MagnusMako,

Thank you for posting these times!

If your 11.86 1/4 mile time in the AWD+ is accurate, that seems to be P3D speed. The best 1/4 mile time I was able to find on YouTube was 11.685 for a P3D. Can you please confirm that your 11.86 was in a standard AWD with the new speed boost? If so, that is amazing and definitely worth 2K IMO.

See uploaded Model 3 timeslips from users on the Dragtimes website here. The fastest documented M3P runs an 11.404 quarter mile. There are half a dozen or so others who have ran 11.4's and 11.5's with many of those being Stealths. So I'm still a bit off from the best P3's by roughly 0.30 to 0.46 of a second. But to be 0.1 to 0.2 of a second away from some of those slower times is neat. I look forward to hitting the drag strip and seeing what I will run on a prepped surface. There's a track I found near me that actually has a Tesla destination charger there so I need to check that out and see if I can top off to full right before my run. :D

raceway.PNG

See uploaded Model 3 timeslips from users on the Dragtimes website here. The fastest documented M3P runs an 11.404 quarter mile. There are half a dozen or so others who have ran 11.4's and 11.5's with many of those being Stealths. So I'm still a bit off from the best P3's by roughly 0.30 to 0.46 of a second. But to be 0.1 to 0.2 of a second away from some of those slower times is neat. I look forward to hitting the drag strip and seeing what I will run on a prepped surface. There's a track I found near me that actually has a Tesla destination charger there so I need to check that out and see if I can top off to full right before my run. :D

View attachment 491004
When might you make this run? What is the cost of a track run?

When might you make this run? What is the cost of a track run?

There is a possibility I'll go tonight depending on how much I can get done today. I'm not sure what the cost is for test n tune but I can't imagine it'll be a lot. I went to another track a while back and it was only $5 to get in, $10 for a tech card for unlimited runs all night. Otherwise I'll have to wait and try to go sometime in mid January.

Reactions: primo and jebinc
With all that extra weight and (relatively) low SoC you're basically getting the #s people were getting on good charge, regular 18s and no extra weight without the $2000 upgrade (assuming those #s are including rollout)

according to my butt dyno, swapping to 20s noticeably slows the car down, the "dead zone" from 0-30 feels even more pronounced.

• This makes me lean slightly more towards purchase as you can visibly see the difference in punch in the video. Really want to see this same video AWD+ vs stealth P!
    This is really the big takeaway. Just comparing the two launches on video you can tell there’s a difference. Think I’m sold on the upgrade, but I might wait until I take my winter tires off. My original MXM4s only lasted 20k miles. Don’t want to shred these new winter tires too quickly, ha.

I dont get it. In a 1/4 mile the AWD+ is supposedly less than 0.5s away from the P ?
Makes no sense to me. It would mean that it is actually marginally faster at some range if I understand this correctly. I doubt that.

I have an AWD coming up the 30th and might go for this as I wandered between P+ and AWD (no P- here). Went for AWD because of comfort basically.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
So I decided to just do it. Have a July 2018 AWD. When I purchased the car last year and after 6 months, I realized I should have just gone with the P3D. After research and requesting a trade in value from Tesla so I can get the P3D, I found out quickly that I would take too big of a loss. Had a feeling that would be the case but it doesn't hurt to run the numbers.... until you actually run the numbers.

Was hesitant about dropping 2k for the update but after some sole searching, a ton of justifying it to myself, and a little bit of telling myself lies I purchased the boost. I plan on keeping the car for 10+ years so why the @%#$ not. Merry Christmas to ME.

Went out before the purchase and ran three 0-60 for times then purchased, charged the car to same SOC and ran 3 new ones. Since I don't have a draggy or anything else, what I do is use my phone to video the run to over 60mph. I then upload the video and trim it to where it shows only the 0-60. I know that this isn't perfect, but I spent all my money on the acceleration boost so can't afford a draggy....lol.

Time before the update was First run 4.336, second run 4.413, and third run 4.423
Time after the update was First run 3.733 (linking the video. If you want to see the tenth of seconds, you will have to download video and play in a player that shows tenths like Media Player Classic. Please excuse the dirty monitor but planned to was the car today), second run 3.896, and third run 3.967

Video -

Started at 89% SOC
19 inch OEM rims from Tesla
64 degrees F outside

Ultimately, you can feel the difference for sure! I was hesitant about the purchase, especially after doing a lot of reading and the whole discussion around the fact that the P3D stealth was 2k more than the AWD and this update was 2k and didn't give the same boost. I figured this was the car that I chose and what I was going to keep for a while so why the fudge not. It's worth it for me. I wanted more speed, and now I have it.

I dont get it. In a 1/4 mile the AWD+ is supposedly less than 0.5s away from the P ?
Makes no sense to me. It would mean that it is actually marginally faster at some range if I understand this correctly.

... why would it mean that?

It's slower to 60. It's slower to the 1/4 mile (though by almost exactly the same total amount they're apart at 60- because nearly all the difference is in the 0-60 range)

It's just less slower than it used to be compared to the P.

Reactions: MagnusMako
why the @%#$ not. Merry Christmas to ME.

Ultimately, you can feel the difference for sure! I was hesitant about the purchase, especially after doing a lot of reading and the whole discussion around the fact that the P3D stealth was 2k more than the AWD and this update was 2k and didn't give the same boost. I figured this was the car that I chose and what I was going to keep for a while so why the fudge not. It's worth it for me. I wanted more speed, and now I have it.

100% agree, could not have put it better...enjoy!

• Helpful
Reactions: robd
This makes me lean slightly more towards purchase as you can visibly see the difference in punch in the video. Really want to see this same video AWD+ vs stealth P!
Don't do it urban, not worth it. It's not that noticeable. I'm starting to think the 980 people may feel the upgrade is more noticeable than us 990 people. Get out of my head!

Reactions: Urbancowboy