Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:D
Only thing I notice is power levels at 40-80 is higher which is good. Launch won’t make you feel sick or anything. Honestly it’s noticeable but not THAT Noticeable. You sound like your on the verge of buying urban and I’m here to try to stop you from having buyers remorse.

I just went out for a "drive" just now after the boost was applied early this AM.. 80% SOC, 51F, flat roads and man.. you've gotta be half-dead NOT to notice the difference at launch, and especially as you say between 40mph up.. TONS more oomph here.. Of course, not quite P3D levels, but sheesh it feels like 80% of the way there, in spite of the numbers others have reported.. To me, it's the feeling, not just the numbers... This will keep me happy for a good while. I can now feel the blood rush to the back of my 'noggin now on liftoff.. o_O I did about eight or so launches, and now, stuff flies all over the cabin during acceleration!

Prior to the upgrade, the launch off the line felt a little "casual" until you were at speed.. Now, there's more of a rush to it. I need to test it out on the same test route that I used to test a P3D a couple of months ago for a comparison. The P3D felt like "teleporting" in Asteroids, to the other side of the intersection.. I still need to compare that, as I was on an open road to test today. In everyday driving, my wife took it out for an errand, and unknowingly noticed the power just casually around town too. She usually drives in "Chill", but I had it in "Sport", soooo.. "Hey hubby, how come it's so fast now?" :D

In short, IMHO, the upgrade is TOTALLY WORTH IT, for those that feel stuck with LR AWD, with the desire for more acceleration and not willing to go through the hassle of selling it for a P3D.. (me). ZERO buyers remorse here for this upgrade. My wife even approves.. :eek:

Of course, for those that haven't pulled the trigger on a Model 3 yet, try to get a Stealth or Performance version.. even more thrills.. Otherwise, this "Acceleration Boost" package is a worthy upgrade, IMHO.

Last edited:
And I genuinely appreciate it! Tesla should really offer a trial period for this.

I have seen the data, and it doesn’t seem possible for it to feel minor. Have you run with a preconditioned battery with 80%+ SoC?
Yes always 80%+ soc. And Although it’s freezing right now in Philly i leave car warm up for 15 min
:D

I just went out for a "drive" just now after the boost was applied early this AM.. 80% SOC, and man.. you've gotta be half-dead NOT to notice the difference at launch, and especially as you say between 40mph up.. TONS more oomph here.. Of course, not quite P3D levels, but sheesh it feels like 80% of the way there, in spite of the numbers others have reported.. To me, it's the feeling, not just the numbers... This will keep me happy for a good while. I can now feel the blood rush to the back of my 'noggin now on liftoff.. o_O I did about eight or so launches, and now, stuff flies all over the cabin during acceleration!

Prior to the upgrade, the launch off the line felt a little "casual" until you were at speed.. Now, there's more of a rush to it. I need to test it out on the same test route that I used to test a P3D a couple of months ago for a comparison. The P3D felt like "teleporting" in Asteroids, to the other side of the intersection.. I still need to compare that, as I was on an open road to test today. In everyday driving, my wife took it out for an errand, and unknowingly noticed the power just casually around town too. She usually drives in "Chill", but I had it in "Sport", soooo.. "Hey hubby, how come it's so fast now?" :D

In short, IMHO, the upgrade is TOTALLY WORTH IT, for those that feel stuck with LR AWD, with the desire for more acceleration and not willing to go through the hassle of selling it for a P3D.. (me). ZERO buyers remorse here for this upgrade. My wife even approves.. :eek:

Of course, for those that haven't pulled the trigger on a Model 3 yet, try to get a Stealth or Performance version.. even more thrills.. Otherwise, this "Acceleration Boost" package is a worthy upgrade, IMHO.
I get what you’re saying. It’s fast. But it does not rush blood to the back of my head. Maybe you’re 85 pounds j/k lol. I’m 190 I press the pedal all the way down and don’t get any feeling other than it’s slightly faster than pre-update. It pulls harder but not quite there yet to feel the blood rush in my face, not even mild. Maybe it’s the 990 motor or that it’s freakin 30 degrees here. But I make sure I do get 80+ soc and warm up the battery for 15 min before driving. I just do not get or understand the blood rush to my head comments everyone is posting and those sub 3.8 sec runs are amazing but it had to be in mild temperatures. I get the sickness feeling when I drive a performance model but not the AWD+. If that is what people are looking for like myself that nauseating, gut wrenching feeling it’s not present with this update for myself. I am hoping with the weather in the 50s next week that I will change my mind but under normal conditions this car should exceed my expectation in “feeling” and I didn’t think for 2k it was worth it lol. But then again I knew that this was not close to p3d speeds at all which is a whole other level. Truly whole other level. If you have 2k to dispose by all means if you think this is better than nothing. If I could go back I would of held out until performance ota comes out.

Yes always 80%+ soc. And Although it’s freezing right now in Philly i leave car warm up for 15 min

I get what you’re saying. It’s fast. But it does not rush blood to the back of my head. Maybe you’re 85 pounds j/k lol. I’m 190 I press the pedal all the way down and don’t get any feeling other than it’s slightly faster than pre-update. It pulls harder but not quite there yet to feel the blood rush in my face, not even mild. Maybe it’s the 990 motor or that it’s freakin 30 degrees here. But I make sure I do get 80+ soc and warm up the battery for 15 min before driving. I just do not get or understand the blood rush to my head comments everyone is posting and those sub 3.8 sec runs are amazing but it had to be in mild temperatures. I get the sickness feeling when I drive a performance model but not the AWD+. If that is what people are looking for like myself that nauseating, gut wrenching feeling it’s not present with this update for myself. I am hoping with the weather in the 50s next week that I will change my mind but under normal conditions this car should exceed my expectation in “feeling” and I didn’t think for 2k it was worth it lol. But then again I knew that this was not close to p3d speeds at all which is a whole other level. Truly whole other level. If you have 2k to dispose by all means if you think this is better than nothing. If I could go back I would of held out until performance ota comes out.

Hmm.. I'm about 35 pounds lighter than you. So maybe!! And about 51F at sea level here out West, so definitely mild temps compared to what you have in PA. I have a 990 rear motor, 9/2019 build, on skinny stock Primacy 18s with the nerdy aero covers still on there. LOL.. Makes me more innocuous on the road... Who me? This little hypermiler can't go that fast.. Of course, if you have had a lot more experience with faster cars, then yea.. your body and mind is used to this sort of thing. I am sure that P3D pilots will be saying.. "not bad, but not quite" and "meh" if they are riding in a LRAWD with or without the upgrade. For me, my brain still hurts. LOL.o_O

Hmm.. I'm about 35 pounds lighter than you. So maybe!! And about 51F at sea level here out West, so definitely mild temps compared to what you have in PA. I have a 990 rear motor, 9/2019 build, on skinny stock Primacy 18s with the nerdy aero covers still on there. LOL.. Makes me more innocuous on the road... Who me? This little hypermiler can't go that fast.. Of course, if you have had a lot more experience with faster cars, then yea.. your body and mind is used to this sort of thing. I am sure that P3D pilots will be saying.. "not bad, but not quite" and "meh" if they are riding in a LRAWD with or without the upgrade. For me, my brain still hurts. LOL.o_O
o_O here as well! o_O

• Love
Reactions: CitiesSprinter
Another thing to consider, "Boosted AWD+" vs "P3D-/P3D+" is the fact the P3D- VIN classifies it as Performance, and the Insurance will be higher. With the AWD+, it's still an AWD, insurance wise. And before someone jumps in and says otherwise, or that insurance wouldn't cover my Boost Option if not reported after a total loss, I already asked my Allstate Agent. Posted that response in the other insurance thread.

Effect of Acceleration Boost on insurance rates

EDIT: So, while we AWD+ owners didn't get the full P acceleration, we also didn't the higher insurance premium, either! :eek::p

Nice thought, but there’s no distinction in the VIN for 2019 P3D- vehicles- they just appear as AWD, not Performance to insurers.

Performance cars will command a higher residual, they get Track mode, and have a higher top speed (provided the Stealth models have been programmed to reflect the spoiler).

Nice thought, but there’s no distinction in the VIN for 2019 P3D- vehicles- they just appear as AWD, not Performance to insurers.
False today, true in the past. Tesla recently started using “C” in position eight in the VIN to designate Performance. Insurance companies can now go wild. On a different forum, one owner’s insurance company charged the same higher performance rates for all AWDs, because they couldn’t tell from the VIN provided by the customer. :eek:

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
My insurance for the Stealth is the same as it would be if I got the LR-AWD, so really it's also different for each insurance provider. There are so many different variables that determine how insurance is priced per individual that using it as justification for why a LR-AWD with AB would be better than getting at Stealth is moot. I may be biased, but If given the option of 2K more for either LR-AWD+ vs. 2k more for P3D-, the P3D- wins everytime.

I can assure you that 15 min of running the heater does not warm the car up. Tesla’s aren’t ICE cars, in winter they take quite a bit longer!

Reactions: Zoomit

I weigh the same as you.

My other car is a V8 BMW M3 that’s tuned (naturally aspirated, no Stage 2 parts) so I’m used to acceleration at higher speeds (not 0-60mph). The M3 doesn’t really take off until you’re between 4,500-8,600rpm (and then it’s loud AF).

I actually do feel the acceleration in my face with this accel. boost upgrade. I do have a 980 motor and was above 80% SOC when I was doing the pull.

It was right on the brink of being unsettling as a driver, but not quite there. Scares the hell out of passengers though...even after preparing them (wife’s coffee was flying, toddler screaming “too much fun!” from back seat, etc etc).

You are the only person I’ve read that is disappointed. I wonder if the update didn’t apply as well as it did for others. Only way to know is dragy or vbox or like MS Windows, maybe do a reboot? o_O
These smiley face option are a bit lame.

Reactions: phantasms
You seriously don’t need to make that statement. It’s like you have a small dick or something. The thread is about the boost...not about stealths. WE KNOW the stealth/performance is faster. This thread is for LRAWD. Jesus ****ing Christ.

My bad was not quoting jebinc, as they have about 6 or 7 posts in three different threads constantly bringing up insurance as a reason the AB would be a better value. Sorry I hurt your feelings. :rolleyes:

also last I checked title of the thread says P3D-, which I believe is a stealth ...maybe should say boost instead right?

Last edited:
My bad was not quoting jebinc, as they have about 6 or 7 posts in three different threads constantly bringing up insurance as a reason the AB would be a better value. Sorry I hurt your feelings. :rolleyes:

also last I checked title of the thread says P3D-, which I believe is a stealth ...maybe should say boost instead right?

Actually my feelings aren't hurt at all. I bought early. Got a in stock demo car so that saved thousands. Got my rebate and enjoying the car before the performance got cannibalized by the stealth. Overall I'm pretty happy.

and Actually the title says "For AWD owners wanting a P3D-"

I don't feel that is an accurate or fair accusation. My first post mentioning insurance was this post, I think -

MASTER THREAD: "Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

listing all of the options, and I specifically said, "and in some cases, experience higher insurance premiums" There was another quick post of two later that wasn't as clear and another member clarified the post and I quickly agreed with the "Good Point,"

MASTER THREAD: "Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

they raised - even created a new post stating that insurance is member, company and location specific and that folks buying a P should check with their insurer to see if there is a added cost for the P - especially now that Tesla codes Performance into the VIN ("C" in position eight). That post here;

Lastly, I don't think I told anyone not to buy the P/Stealth, only that I was happy with my AWD+, given I have Allstate insurance and they do charge more for P cars (even those pre VIN coding change). When I got mine, VINs didn't differentiate so Allstate specifically asked me if mine was a "Performance AWD".

It seems you're a relatively new TMC member, and may still be adjusting to the politeness and fact based post norms of this great TMC forum. On Tesla's forum (the "wild west" of forums), anything goes as that forum is not moderated like this one is. And given such, it's "trolls galore" over there... Congrats on your P. :)

Last edited:
I don't feel that is an accurate or fair accusation. My first post mentioning insurance was this post, I think -

listing all of the options, and I specifically said, "and in some cases, experience higher insurance premiums" There was another quick post of two later that wasn't as clear and another member clarified the post and I quickly agreed with the "Good Point,"

they raised - even created a new post stating that insurance is member, company and location specific and that folks buying a P should check with their insurer to see if there is a added cost for the P - especially now that Tesla codes Performance into the VIN ("C" in position eight). That post here;

Lastly, I don't think I told anyone not to buy the P/Stealth, only that I was happy with my AWD+, given I have Allstate insurance and they do charge more for P cars (even those pre VIN coding change). When I got mine, VINs didn't differentiate so Allstate specifically asked me if mine was a "Performance AWD".

It seems you're a relatively new TMC member, and may still be adjusting to the politeness and fact based post norms of this great TMC forum. On Tesla's forum (the "wild west" of forums), anything goes as that forum is not moderated like this one is. And given such, it's "trolls galore" over there... Congrats on your P. :)

Seeing his profile page is on private and the low posts...

Reactions: jebinc
My insurance for the Stealth is the same as it would be if I got the LR-AWD, so really it's also different for each insurance provider. There are so many different variables that determine how insurance is priced per individual that using it as justification for why a LR-AWD with AB would be better than getting at Stealth is moot. I may be biased, but If given the option of 2K more for either LR-AWD+ vs. 2k more for P3D-, the P3D- wins everytime.

Which insurance company do you use?

Thanks

To say those of us that failed to plan ahead because we couldn't take advantage of a tax credit is really condescending. If we had a crystal ball and had known Tesla would drop their prices as much as they did, obviously many of us would have waited until now or even next quarter. No financial planner could have or would have predicted that.

I dont understand your case.

How does the price of the model 3 affect your ability to take advantage of a tax credit that you knew was coming to you.

It doesn't matter what you paid -- whether it was 80k or 60k .. the tax credit was the same $7500 .. you knew you would be eligible when you bought the car, so i think if you did not plan your taxes such that you could take advantage of the tax credit, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

did i miss something?

I have bought several things that had large tax credits lately. (rooftop solar, electric heat pump, model 3) -- and every time i was able to arrange my taxes so that the credit would fully apply. --- i stand by my statement, its hard to aviod taxes, its easy to generate them.

Reactions: Knightshade
So, I finally bit the bullet after reading all first impressions/posts/videos, I have a Nov 2018 build 980 motor. Definitely a noticeable upgrade, but I'm not totally blown away. I'm kinda back and forth about whether it was worth $2000. I tested it out at 80 SOC, 70F in Hawaii: it is a nice improvement overall- especially above 40-50mph ish but I feel like it's juuuust a little too slow for the $2000 asking price (still feels like the car is still being held back a little). I'm a little disappointed they didn't it give a bit more on the low end.
Not trying to come off as bitchy/complaining, just giving my perspective. Still LOVE the car and the company, this will hold me over nicely until the Cybertruck.

So, I finally bit the bullet after reading all first impressions/posts/videos, I have a Nov 2018 build 980 motor. Definitely a noticeable upgrade, but I'm not totally blown away. I'm kinda back and forth about whether it was worth $2000. I tested it out at 80 SOC, 70F in Hawaii: it is a nice improvement overall- especially above 40-50mph ish but I feel like it's juuuust a little too slow for the $2000 asking price (still feels like the car is still being held back a little). I'm a little disappointed they didn't it give a bit more on the low end.
Not trying to come off as bitchy/complaining, just giving my perspective. Still LOVE the car and the company, this will hold me over nicely until the Cybertruck.

A bit more on the low end is exactly what now sets the AWD+ behind from the full-on Performance version (asides from Track Mode). The P3Ds still pull on us by a carlength or two due to that. I'm pretty sure this behavior was intentional on Tesla's part. Other than that, the AWD+ seems really close in performance above 40mph to the P3Ds.. Heck.. I'll spend more again to get that last 0-30mph or Track Mode, but I'm not counting on either of those ever to show up in my upgrades menu. Still, at normal speeds, let's say.. on an open roads or on the freeway, I'm sure you'll feel the benefit daily. That's where the daily benefit is for me.. =) Of course, we could always use MORE.. but as it stands, I'm good for now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: phantasms

I meant no disrespect in my original post. While I may be new here it doesn’t mean I’m a troll. If you read my original post I did not call names, made a statement replying to my experience in regards with insurance and my opinion on how it relates to the discussion. In the other thread there was another person asking you to stop using the insurance angle also. However for the all the politeness in this community you are implying this forum has, your buddy TwoK4drSi was the one who decided to be rude and over react if your read his reply to the original post. Then also decides to use my newer status as a way to denigrate me to brush my opinion off. So you might want to check his politeness and yours before rushing to judge mine and ganging up on me. Again sorry you were offended with my opinion.

Reactions: john85775 and omkar