Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
flooring it on the freeway (rolling start from 50 or so) the awd+ may actually be faster than the P

OK ... then you can fly past me at 135MPH!:D

My last Porsche 911 was a 2005 Carrera (not S). It was one of the first 997's - the return to the classic 911 look. I had that car for 13+ years and loved it, though it was a PITA in traffic! The 0-60 on that car was 4.4 sec! Yes, now on a Carrera S and better you can get much much faster - especially on the specialty models if you have hundreds of thousands to spend. But a little 'ol Tesla LR AWD can do 0-60 in 3.9. And you don't have to perfectly shift to get there. Just push on the "go" pedal and you are way beyond the rest of the pack. There's a lot to be said for that instant torque. It certainly got me hooked when I test drove a LR AWD.

I love my P3D-, but the speed is just a part of it - a small part of it. So a Taycan Turbo S will do a little better on the 0-60? I can live with that. All Teslas can leave most of the cars on the freeway way behind in their rear view mirror. And that's the least of what a Tesla can do. Hell, someday the Tesla will do it without you driving it!

We all are doing OK...... :)

I like my M3 for the most part. I find the greatest weakness to be suspensions. It's stiff without being sporty. I"m not sure I will actually be able to live with it. My QV is much more compliant without being that stiff.

I had the same issues, I always thought there was something off about the suspension/setup. The model 3 controls body roll fairly well, but It almost felt like the springs were not matched with the shocks properly. My previous cars were an M4 and a Corvette Z06, so initially I just assumed that I just felt this way because I was comparing apples to oranges.

I read somewhere that this is because Tesla skipped a few steps that other manufacturers do when testing/tuning the suspension setup to get the cars out quicker (like proper track testing etc). I decided that if that's the case I might as well modify the suspension and roll the dice. I installed Eibach springs and trimmed the bump stops as suggested by Eibach. The front springs have a higher spring rate than stock and the rear is progressive. Even with the higher spring rate the car handled bumps much better while having less body roll. I was baffled. I came to the conclusion that the issue was probably the bump stops, I suspect the car was sitting a few mm from hitting the bump stops at normal ride height.

• Informative
Reactions: Autoxer7
While granted I have a P3D-, I think that a LR AWD with the + upgrade is likely plenty fast! In my P3D- I have never been able to floor the car in street traffic - never, or I'd end up in the back of someone in front of me. On a clear freeway, I can possibly floor the car for 1 or 2 seconds. Possibly ... If there is no one around me (very light use). There is so much instantaneous power that it really becomes unusable after a point.

The speed on a Performance (P3D- or P3D+) is nice, but really too fast for ordinary driving. I like it - a lot, but it is excessive. I like knowing I have the power, though I really don't get to use it. I can imagine that the AWD "+" upgrade is a good boost with more than enough power.

After a little over a month with a P3D-, the thought of one of these 2.3 sec (0-60) Model S cars frightens me. And I have driven Porsche Carreras for almost 30 years.

I have a Stealth P3 and am able to enjoy full acceleration legally almost every day. Haven’t you ever been the first car at a light?. You can usually find an open spot in the slow lane and then just accelerate when the light turns green. It’s great fun to quickly accelerate up to legal speed and then ease off.

The ability to go from extreme acceleration to normal performance flawlessly is one of the best attributes of our cars.

I have a Stealth P3 and am able to enjoy full acceleration legally almost every day. Haven’t you ever been the first car at a light?. You can usually find an open spot in the slow lane and then just accelerate when the light turns green. It’s great fun to quickly accelerate up to legal speed and then ease off.

Not to spark a firestorm, but it’s not inconceivable to actually get a ticket for doing that. Even under the speed limit, that kind of jackrabbit start can (and is) written under careless driving.

It’s certainly fun, but just a caution ... if an officer sees you, they can write you for it, and it’ll stand in court.

Reactions: pandabear
Not to spark a firestorm, but it’s not inconceivable to actually get a ticket for doing that. Even under the speed limit, that kind of jackrabbit start can (and is) written under careless driving.

It’s certainly fun, but just a caution ... if an officer sees you, they can write you for it, and it’ll stand in court.

I’d totally agree with your opinion IF I was driving an ICE car and there was excessive noise and wheel spin that distracted other drivers but the Tesla is obviously a different situation.

As always though I value your opinion.

Thanks

I’d totally agree with your opinion IF I was driving an ICE car and there was excessive noise and wheel spin that distracted other drivers but the Tesla is obviously a different situation.

Thanks
Driving a Tesla won't save you from a reckless driving ticket, it'll just reduce the likelihood that you'll be noticed by a cop due to the lack of noise

Reactions: MountainRatMat

The ability to go from extreme acceleration to normal performance flawlessly is one of the best attributes of our cars.

Well, I still can't find a situation where the car can be fully accelerated (? - foot to the floor!) in normal city/suburban traffic. Perhaps on the freeway for a couple of seconds - but that is it.

Partial acceleration is doable, if you don't disrupt the cars around you. But you don't need a stealth to do that.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

I can imagine a situation where an officer says it’s even worse in an electric car *because* it’s silent and could be a danger to unseen pedestrians.

Definitely not making a judgement call whether that’s right or wrong but I can kinda hear the words in my head.

... but most of all, may I say thank you for having a nice civil discourse! It’s so refreshing these days. :)

I can imagine a situation where an officer says it’s even worse in an electric car *because* it’s silent and could be a danger to unseen pedestrians.

Definitely not making a judgement call whether that’s right or wrong but I can kinda hear the words in my head.

... but most of all, may I say thank you for having a nice civil discourse! It’s so refreshing these days. :)

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over.
Defendant: no. why?
Officer: You accelerated too quickly.
Defendant: Ohh, how quickly did I accelerate?
Officer: Too quick.
Defendant: How quick is too quick?
Officer: I know it when I see it.
Defendant: so what did you see that made you think it was too quick
Officer: I don't know, it just seemed really fast.

Spinning tires, clouds of burnt rubber, fishtailing as the car struggles to find traction, engine noise so loud it makes your ears hurt. That is clear evidence that the car is not being driven safely. But without any of those traditional signs it seems very difficult for the police to establish a case. I do not disagree that rapid acceleration in a Tesla could be unsafe. But I do not think that the police should be handing out tickets for an infraction that they cannot define. And if they do, I sure hope that the courts would toss it out.

Especially in the near future when there are millions of affordable electric cars with crazy fast acceleration on the roads, the government probably should establish some standards about what is/is not acceptable acceleration and come up with some way of measuring it. But until they do, it seems really problematic to ticket people for breaking that unwritten rule. That said, I'm not going to floor if I am stopped next to a cop. I don't want to have the argument above, even if I think that it an argument that I should win.

Drivers frequently enter into my lane by turning right from an intersection in front of me. It seems they are often assuming I’m only driving at an average speed and accelerating relatively slowly. If I really pushed the acceleration on my Tesla to the max it would catch a lot of people off guard and get me into trouble. There are some risks. Most drivers have no idea how fast a Tesla can accelerate, if they even can identify the car as being a Tesla.

I don't want to have the argument above, even if I think that it an argument that I should win.

My point entirely... anything I can do to avoid those kind of conversations, that's what I'm gonna do. :)

And winning that argument in a courtroom really is risky. At least around here it is - the municipal court system tends to err on the side of law enforcement....

Drivers frequently enter into my lane by turning right from an intersection in front of me. It seems they are often assuming I’m only driving at an average speed and accelerating relatively slowly. If I really pushed the acceleration on my Tesla to the max it would catch a lot of people off guard and get me into trouble. There are some risks. Most drivers have no idea how fast a Tesla can accelerate, if they even can identify the car as being a Tesla.

In addition to seeing this all the time, I frequently see people dive to get in front of me on a cloverleaf ramp as I'm merging onto the highway/accelerating and they think they need to get in front of me to make their exit. Drives me nuts. They have no idea how hard I can accelerate.

In addition to seeing this all the time, I frequently see people dive to get in front of me on a cloverleaf ramp as I'm merging onto the highway/accelerating and they think they need to get in front of me to make their exit. Drives me nuts. They have no idea how hard I can accelerate.
I love merging in front of someone and they instantly move over thinking they're going to go around me, but I end up getting up to their speed very quickly.

On the other side of the coin, the people that are quick to pull out in front of you, but not quick to accelerate piss me off to no end.

"His Hers (on loan): Model 3 LR AWD; Pearl White; 18" Aero; Black Interior; AP + FSD.
Also hers: 2018 Buick Enclave Premium; (Ingested a deer 10/21/19. Still @ body shop #2)
His (rentals): Hyundai Santa Fe GMC Terrain Chevy Tahoe Toyota Avalon. Feel for me."

Dmurphy: thanks for the laugh and I do feel for you!

Reactions: CitiesSprinter