Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody finally took apart a 990 inverter/motor, so now we can compare...

tesla-inverters.jpeg

990 on the left, 980 on the right.
I don't see much difference from a hardware perspective...

Links:
and

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
And just replying to my own post. Now I'm a bit confused. There is a difference in the top left corner of the inverter.
Here you can see the 990 (AWD-R) and the 960 (F) together:

The 960 looks identical to the 980 from the video above. Strange.

Similar but far from identical. The entire top-right quadrant of the inverter board is different (if you assume the board is rotated 90˚ CCW.)

We also haven't seen the reverse side of the board, which appears to be where the MOSFETs are mounted. That's probably the biggest difference.

Reactions: JBT66
https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/47412
they have both a 680 and 800 mosfet rear drive assembly listed. Do with this info what you'd like

Yep. Thanks. I think it says 630, not 680. But if we look at the can data there is already more than 670A peak going to the rear unit in the AWD (assuming that the 630 and 800 refers to amps).

There is also some information in the non-english manuals (here from the German one) - I should probably read the ECE R85 testing methods.

motors_tesla.png

I don't know what is going on with the voltages there - especially the one for the performance rear.

If I remember correctly then with the Acc Boost for AWD they actually lowered the rear peak with about 10kW while increased the front to the same as the Performance (and I think the can data showed that before acc. boost there was very little difference on the peak power on the rear - like 10kw)

But I'm guessing we will see some more youtube videos with hardware comparisons between the 990 and 980 now. :) Was just interesting to see now that they finally opened it up, as the 990vs980 discussion has taken up the last 100 pages of this thread. :)

Reactions: jebinc
If this has the same motor and slightly different inverter board, i don't see how there is much of a cost difference if at all. The silicon content seems similar and even if the MOSFETs are in the back are different, negligible cost difference for a part like that.

If this has the same motor and slightly different inverter board, i don't see how there is much of a cost difference if at all. The silicon content seems similar and even if the MOSFETs are in the back are different, negligible cost difference for a part like that.

May not even be a cost issue, but a supply one ... I don't pretend to be an auto manufacturer logistics expert, but second-sourcing MOSFETs for example may be the issue.

This is true.
Also, have never seen anything definitive that proves the 990 is not capable of the current output of the 980
I suspect we never will know for certain.

If it were just as capable- and it's not any cheaper/easier to make- why does the 990 exist at all?

If it were LESS capable, and not any cheaper/easier to make- same question- why would it exist at all?

If it were just as capable and it IS cheaper/easier to make- why do they still put 980s in the P instead of cheaper-but-just-as-capable 990s? Why would they not simply replace the 980 with the 990 period?

The only thing that fits the facts is if the 990 is cheaper AND less capable.

If it were just as capable- and it's not any cheaper/easier to make- why does the 990 exist at all?

If it were LESS capable, and not any cheaper/easier to make- same question- why would it exist at all?

If it were just as capable and it IS cheaper/easier to make- why do they still put 980s in the P instead of cheaper-but-just-as-capable 990s? Why would they not simply replace the 980 with the 990 period?

The only thing that fits the facts is if the 990 is cheaper AND less capable.

This does not look good for those (me for instance) with 980 motors getting the option to go from boost to performance. It can be done, but is just not likely now, because they would have a tough time explaining why anyone with a 990 can’t...

I’m sure the change was financially important, but it does remove a financial upgrade at the same time.
I’ll assume they have decided that it would save more money using the 990’s, than they would gain by sticking with 980’s, and offering an on going upgrade path for owners to performance. :(

So...can I continue bitching for a full P matching upgrade at this point or too soon? lol

glass half full...

This does not look good for those (me for instance) with 980 motors getting the option to go from boost to performance. It can be done, but is just not likely now, because they would have a tough time explaining why anyone with a 990 can’t...

...glass half empty...

I'm kinda torn.

On the one hand offering the full unlock to 980 AWD cars is free money for Tesla... AND it avoids "hurting" future P sales because it's made clear future AWD owners won't have it available to them.

OTOH you end up with newer 990 AWD owners upset about...not having an option...that they never were told they'd have... but somehow still mad because that's how people are.