Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For discussing the issue of locals charging at California Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you must have free supercharging, because if you don't, the rates in California for supercharging are $0.26 per kWh.

Supercharging
yes, obviously of course its free for me. are people actually complaining and locals PAYING for supercharging? This thread seems to be focused on whether or not it's "ok" for locals to supercharge. If you are willing to pay $0.26/kwh as a local I'd assume you are more than welcome to it and no one would argue with that. You are paying for a service, for the electricity. To me the complaints have centered around wealthy individuals with garages who want free juice. And my point simply was, for me, my "at home" rate of $0.27/kWh is much worse than what i could get on my meter, in a garage, with an overnight EV rate plan (probably less than half).

In addition, when I DO locally supercharge, I can almost guarantee I'm never taking the last stall. My local supercharging is primarily at Concord which in my experience is about 50-75% full during the work days - mostly all locals as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: sweetrugger
We just bought our M3 about two weeks ago. The Westminster location is very close to our home. But I’m curious, are the super chargers being used primarily by those Tesla owners with lifetime free charging? We only have the first six months free, and we don’t drive more than about 30-40 miles a day, so it seems a lot easier to just charge up at night in my garage. What motivates people to use the SC versus home charging?

• Love
Reactions: FlyinLow
We just bought our M3 about two weeks ago. The Westminster location is very close to our home. But I’m curious, are the super chargers being used primarily by those Tesla owners with lifetime free charging? We only have the first six months free, and we don’t drive more than about 30-40 miles a day, so it seems a lot easier to just charge up at night in my garage. What motivates people to use the SC versus home charging?

• some people so cheap that if they have unlimited they want to save 30 or so bucks a month and spend time waiting instead
  • passing through on a trip
  • my home charging plan didn't go as planned so have to depend on these for now, and they give the best speed (or destination chargers); so some people just don't have a way to charge at home

Over here the chargers tend to be at Fred Meyers locations (Kroger branded grocery/department stores). I can see people coming there to shop and plugging in while there, especially if there is an open stall when they arrive. Not necessarily being cheap, but rather being opportunistic.

About as many reasons as there are people who own Teslas. :D

Seriously, though...

Opportunity: Go out for a bite to eat/Christmas shopping after work and get some free juice. This includes the lowest of the lows who plug in and then leave with a friend to do other things for a couple of hours.
Speed: You arrive home with 35%, and need to leave in two hours for a commitment.
Doing stuff: You need to organize your papers for your tax return :p, so you grab your information and organize while charging for free.
No home hook up: People who rent or live in condos/townhouses that cannot charge at home without hefty fees assessed.
Parsimony: Some people are inherently cheap, frugal, or thrifty, and money saved is more important than their time.
Justification: There was a time when Tesla charged $2,000 for the Model S60 to enable unlimited Supercharging (unlike the S85 where it was standard.) Some folks got it in their heads that they "paid" for Supercharging whether with a 60 or an 85, and therefore they feel justified in plugging in.
Because I can: Some people feel entitled "because I can," and will do it regardless.

About as many reasons as there are people who own Teslas. :D

Seriously, though...

Opportunity: Go out for a bite to eat/Christmas shopping after work and get some free juice. This includes the lowest of the lows who plug in and then leave with a friend to do other things for a couple of hours.
Speed: You arrive home with 35%, and need to leave in two hours for a commitment.
Doing stuff: You need to organize your papers for your tax return :p, so you grab your information and organize while charging for free.
No home hook up: People who rent or live in condos/townhouses that cannot charge at home without hefty fees assessed.
Parsimony: Some people are inherently cheap, frugal, or thrifty, and money saved is more important than their time.
Justification: There was a time when Tesla charged $2,000 for the Model S60 to enable unlimited Supercharging (unlike the S85 where it was standard.) Some folks got it in their heads that they "paid" for Supercharging whether with a 60 or an 85, and therefore they feel justified in plugging in.
Because I can: Some people feel entitled "because I can," and will do it regardless.

That was a great explanation! I get it.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Holy moly! Did this thing get stood up in under a month or what it just me?

Carlsbad is chugging along beautifully and Downtown is a great too. All the sudden, once 4S Ranch and this come on-line, San Diego County is looking very good indeed. If there were idle fees at Qualcomm, overall availability would be even better still.

A lot of us (myself included) were bellyaching earlier this year about the availability of Superchargers in the area, locals clobbering them, etc. Pretty shortly, there appears to not be much to complain about in the short term - even if the locals keep hitting them up.

Very impressed with Tesla Supercharger build out in SD County and it's hard to think otherwise. 84 SD County charging bays by the end of 2018 and/or very early 2019? Yes, please!
If you are a local then I assume you don't use San Diego SCs, so why do you even care?

Should I hope that it won't be a "pay to park" garage like downtown SD? Maybe if it is, it could affect overuse by locals but probably not. When I'm vacationing in Solana Beach the end of this month, it looks like I'll be paying to supercharge anyway and paying to park while doing it will add to my cost. This one won't be open by then for sure anyway but we come here every year so watching for my options now.

Should I hope that it won't be a "pay to park" garage like downtown SD? Maybe if it is, it could affect overuse by locals but probably not. When I'm vacationing in Solana Beach the end of this month, it looks like I'll be paying to supercharge anyway and paying to park while doing it will add to my cost. This one won't be open by then for sure anyway but we come here every year so watching for my options now.
It's like 10 miles to Carlsbad super charger from Solana Beach. Why would you drive all the way to downtown to super charge?

No way this will be pay to park. Also, everyone I know who lives in Del Mar or RSF have home chargers too, so I don't see that many locals using it as a main source to charge. But I suppose we'll have to wait to see.

• Love
Reactions: JeffnReno
Also, everyone I know who lives in Del Mar or RSF have home chargers too, so I don't see that many locals using it as a main source to charge. But I suppose we'll have to wait to see.

upload_2019-1-6_10-43-14.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: JeffnReno