Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For every who has not yet received their a p85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. For me, I always make sure that I only buy something which I will be happy with for a least a decent period, while keeping in mind that there will always be new iterations coming. So far, this strategy has not disappointed me.

I got my Model S in June. So I could trade mine in, but I would be losing money on it. There is no point. I am going to drive my Model S into the ground and own this baby for 7-10 years. And when Tesla is a large company rivaling Ford and the other autos that couldn't keep up, I will then buy the baddest car on the road again. Which will be a Tesla.

Already, I don't need to, but I don't want to drive our gas car so much I am thinking of reserving the Model 3... but I would really like to get debt free first. Maybe I can get crazy with it and pull that off first. :)

Its nearly 15k more for dual motors on a P85D, that is not small.

However for the S85 its only 4k, which I found to be a very, very fair price. Especially since it looks like they dropped the overall price of the car by 1k.

15k more and you get 280 more house power with updated seats and everything? it is a steal~

I wonder how Saleen is going to sell their FOURSIXTEEN

15k more and you get 280 more house power with updated seats and everything? it is a steal~

I totally agree its a steal! Hah. However, not to play a violin of tears over here, but some people find 15k to be a lot of money no matter what it is. Its the sole reason I didn't go full P85, which I am still happy about but the price was the determining factor.

Each perspective MS owner should make up their own mind whether to trade up to P85D, as people have different considerations, and it’s not always performance oriented.

Based on what has been announced, the shipment of MS to be delivered in HK in the near future should come with the sensors and rather advance safety technologies built-in already. This is an excellent addition to such a great car.

Though I think the resale value concern is overblown. The bottom line is, yes, the 2nd hand value will be different between P85 and P85D, but P85D is also more expensive (a little bit). But the delta is not as much as one would think – the difference in resale value between a 5 year old M5 vs. 550i is not huge, for example.

Having said all that, the thought of having an almost 700hp “family sedan” is not easily measured in dollars and cents. If you can bear with another year or so wait for P85D, you should wait (I would : ) )… but not on economic grounds.

No I think you're wrong on this, if the difference between a 2nd hand D and non D model is only $25-30k HKD, basically everyone who does their homework would choose the D and reach to the more expensive model. This kind of human nature is the reason why the Non D models will immediately go down to a much cheaper price, people will jump to pay $20k more for such a feature 2nd hand, but no one would jump say, 60K or 50K which is what I believe most people would accept as perceived value between the two versions.

I'll be pushing for a D upgrade and the Sales guys here have ensured me they will help me sort this out. If Tesla hasn't considered the people stuck in the middle of such an announcement beforehand and can't consider to help people like myself who ordered 1 week ago. I may just consider to cancel my order altogether out of principle. :( that will be a sad move however!)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah dude I feel you totally, you expect when buying the best version that you keep the best version. But when they then totally revamp the same car and nothing exterior changes but inside becomes significantly more, it's annoying, especially when it's such a new car. This D model should have become a new car, or kept the feature to the Model X because I think a lot of the first generation Model S people may now be more careful when choosing a new Tesla vehicle.

I would let them take the 20k and order the new one. How much of a regret could 20k give you comparing to buying the wrong car?

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I picked P85+ instaed of S85 is just like people picked a M3 instead of 335i. We want the fastest available, and stand out from others.

Could you imagine BMW to release a new M3 that has 200 more HP and 1 sec quicker from 0-60 2 months after you receive yours or even 2 years after the current model is released? and it just cost 15% more?

We all know the current back sets is nothing more than a cushioned bench, so good luck persuading people it is more comfortable then the updated version when you sell your car.

I am mad because Tesla was capable and already planned to sell the P85D when they were finally building our RHD P85. Tesla could have ask me to sign a non disclosure agreement and let me pick the P85D.

This is the 2nd time I feel regret and sad at being a signature owner. All the sudden my 2 months old P85+ becomes a joke for new P85D owner.

No I think you're wrong on this, if the difference between a 2nd hand D and non D model is only $25-30k HKD, basically everyone who does their homework would choose the D and reach to the more expensive model. This kind of human nature is the reason why the Non D models will immediately go down to a much cheaper price, people will jump to pay $20k more for such a feature 2nd hand, but no one would jump say, 60K or 50K which is what I believe most people would accept as perceived value between the two versions.

I'll be pushing for a D upgrade and the Sales guys here have ensured me they will help me sort this out. If Tesla hasn't considered the people stuck in the middle of such an announcement beforehand and can't consider to help people like myself who ordered 1 week ago. I may just consider to cancel my order altogether out of principle. :( that will be a sad move however!)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah dude I feel you totally, you expect when buying the best version that you keep the best version. But when they then totally revamp the same car and nothing exterior changes but inside becomes significantly more, it's annoying, especially when it's such a new car. This D model should have become a new car, or kept the feature to the Model X because I think a lot of the first generation Model S people may now be more careful when choosing a new Tesla vehicle.

I'm guessing the eventual pricing delta for P85 vs P85D is probably 150k instead of a couple of thousand dollars in HK. Since all non D will have more tech features from now on, it's really the 1s gain in acceleration. In 5 years time, my guess is the pricing delta won't be more than 50k. Also drawing the parallel that people don't exactly jumping to buy 2nd hand M5 vs. 550 even though the delta is not as wide as for the new car.

If people feel strongly about the D, just cancel the order and wait another year for HK delivery of the D. This is just automotive version of Moore's Law. Please don't buy iPhone 5s last month because 6 will be coming out. This is a never ending cycle.

Im perfectly happy with my 2 month old MS but would consider trading in for the MX in a few years time.

if you think Saleen is feeling pretty crappy right now for their $50k decal tax, how do you think Renovo Motors feels? They were aiming to be the worlds fastest EV in 2015 with 0-60 in 3.4s , top speed of 120mph , max range of 100 miles, and a price tag of $529k . Some were even calling it “Tesla on steroids.”

Renovo Coupe: Fastest electric car? | abc7.com
New Silicon Valley Car Company Aims To Produce Fastest Electric Coupe CBS San Francisco

P85D rips them a new one for a fraction of the price. I guess their $h** out of luck now.