Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For everyone complaining about the service centers .....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
For everyone complaining about the service centers... here's one for ya.

Deer jumps in front of my wife's Enclave last Monday. Set off the airbags (she's OK), did a bunch of damage.
State Police call a towing company, who pick it up from the side of Interstate 80.
Call State Farm, open a claim, no problem, they're going to get it towed to my dealership's body shop. That happens on Wednesday night.
Thursday morning, State Farm adjuster comes out, makes his estimate, body shop finds a few small things to add, estimate completed, check cut Thursday night.
Friday, talk to the body shop, they ordered the parts, start tearing down. Great. Not sure how long for parts due to the GM strike, but at least it'll be ready to go.
Heard nothing yesterday or Monday. So I called this morning, got no answer. Again. Again. Finally get through. Turns out, the body shop guy has been with GM Security all day. The dealership's out of business. Closed. Finished. Kaput. My half-a-car is now stuck in the body shop, missing panels, and under someone else's lock & key.

Now I've got to call State Farm, figure out if it's in towable shape without doing any more damage, find out who can get it released from the dealership (assuming it's GM corporate at this point), do whatever paperwork their lawyers and security are going to need to prove it's MY asset and not theirs... Get the vehicle to another shop so it can be re-inspected, re-estimated, parts re-ordered, and then -- and ONLY then -- will work be able to actually begin.

Oh, and of course State Farm's already written a $10,000+ check to the body shop, so we'll have to figure that out too.

So... yeah. At least with Tesla, you know where your vehicle's at. Much less concerned about Tesla going out of business than a small dealership!

So... yeah. At least with Tesla, you know where your vehicle's at. Much less concerned about Tesla going out of business than a small dealership!

What a mess...this is totally possible to happen with Tesla too, as they do use 3rd party body shops. The 3rd party shop goes out of business while your Tesla is there it will be the same story. (Except harder to contact Tesla)

(Except harder to contact Tesla)

At least I can always call a Tesla service center - or stop in. In this case... I got nuttin. Hopefully we can extricate the Enclave tomorrow - that's the current plan. I've got another body shop on the hook - if I can get it there, they've agreed to take it on and work the details out with State Farm. But this is a mess. What I don't know is what state of (dis)repair it's in - so can we flatbed it, what parts are loose/missing/broken/etc? And it's got to go tomorrow - Friday is the last day anyone will be onsite they tell me. Nevermind flatbedding a car in whatever state of disrepair in the heavy rain tomorrow. I think it's a sign that we should fix it and immediately sell it on a Model X ... ;-)

Reactions: C141medic
At least I can always call a Tesla service center - or stop in. In this case... I got nuttin. Hopefully we can extricate the Enclave tomorrow - that's the current plan. I've got another body shop on the hook - if I can get it there, they've agreed to take it on and work the details out with State Farm. But this is a mess. What I don't know is what state of (dis)repair it's in - so can we flatbed it, what parts are loose/missing/broken/etc? And it's got to go tomorrow - Friday is the last day anyone will be onsite they tell me. Nevermind flatbedding a car in whatever state of disrepair in the heavy rain tomorrow. I think it's a sign that we should fix it and immediately sell it on a Model X ... ;-)
I’ll give you an inside sales rep if you want a chance to find a good deal.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
This happened at a Ford dealership near me a few years ago. They unexpectedly closed without warning and had customer cars in their service center and body shop locked in their buildings. Local news was trying to help customers get their cars back....

• Informative
This happened at a Ford dealership near me a few years ago. They unexpectedly closed without warning and had customer cars in their service center and body shop locked in their buildings. Local news was trying to help customers get their cars back....

From what they told me today, as long as I get it out of there tomorrow (Thursday), we should be OK. But all bets are off starting Friday. Employees are supposed to get their final paychecks Friday .... so if I were them, I sure wouldn't be hanging around.

From what they told me today, as long as I get it out of there tomorrow (Thursday), we should be OK. But all bets are off starting Friday. Employees are supposed to get their final paychecks Friday .... so if I were them, I sure wouldn't be hanging around.

Good Luck - I hope you can get your car out tomorrow without any issues. Please post if you were successful or not...

• Love