Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For free: Original Model S brochures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very kind of you to have done this, many thanks! I'm happy to have this: it's an amusing and interesting bit of Model S history. The scan was a bit sketchy, so if any holders of one of the originals wants me to create a hi-res scan to share, I'd be happy to do so (PM me). I'd return the original, of course. Thanks, @EVnut !
Ah hell. I never looked at how it uploaded to the thread, and had no idea it was so poor.

And now... I can't even find my local copy of that PDF file.... and now no more brochures. :-( So now even *I* want a good scan of the thing!

Ah hell. I never looked at how it uploaded to the thread, and had no idea it was so poor.

And now... I can't even find my local copy of that PDF file.... and now no more brochures. :-( So now even *I* want a good scan of the thing!

Haha, well -- stuff happens, right? My offer stands, if one of the recipients wants to send a brochure along, I can promise a good result to share here, and will return the original.
Just PM me to make arrangements. It was nice of you to share, @EVnut !

Maybe the difference is not Musk Hater or Tesla Fanboy, but instead people who gave Elon money based on promises he never fulfilled or completely under-delivered, vs. those watching from a sidelines. Elon accomplishes a lot, no argument there, so if you're watching from the side it's easy to miss the fact that sometimes he delivers not to people he actually sold it to, or the fact that a lot of times he doesn't the things he sold at all, but delivers other impressive things to other people. If you paid for a single family house, and never got it, would you be praising the company you gave money to for building a skyscraper on the moon instead? It's much more impressive than a single family home on earth right, so you'd be cheering, or not?
My personal experience has shown me that this huge divide (with associated assumptions) most definitely exists. The devision I see isn't just between the insiders who's suffered with broken promises, and the outsiders who may be ignorant.

Here's me:
EV driver for almost 20 years and over half a million miles.
Tesla investor.
Tesla owner (My 5th EV)
Brighter than the average lamp.

When I comment online about something that Tesla has done wrong, I'm told that I don't understand EVs, or I'm a Tesla and/or Musk hater. That I don't know what I'm talking about, and am a paid shill for the oil companies. When I correct some random idiot who posts "facts" that are pure conjecture or ignorance about Tesla or Musk (is that the "sidelines" that you mention?) then I'm instantly a Tesla Fanboy who feels that the company can do no wrong. And that I revere Musk, and feel that everything he touches turns to gold. I've been through it all. I've given my money and gotten sand kicked in my face (stood in line to reserve a 3, and then watched as friends took delivery of my exact configuration before me, with NO reservation). I've given money and gotten great returns. I have an astonishingly awesome car... that has significant flaws. I've suffered through the growing pains from every angle and for longer than the vast majority of Tesla owners. I even consulted with Tesla before they'd built a single car, and got to experience the Tzero. I've had a front row seat for the whole wild ride.

I praise the company and Musk where it is deserved. And I hold them both accountable where *that* is deserved. And I'm just sick of being stuffed in one camp or another... instead of just being heard as a guy who is paying attention, who has some experience and who knows that the world is not only black and white.

Haha, well -- stuff happens, right? My offer stands, if one of the recipients wants to send a brochure along, I can promise a good result to share here, and will return the original.
Just PM me to make arrangements. It was nice of you to share, @EVnut !
Oh! And where's my Aptera? Fun times! I invested in that for a short while.... I mean while we're talking about promises. :)

I was invested in 3 EVs before Tesla came along.... My internal compass of what "non-delivery" looks like has changed dramatically in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Oh! And where's my Aptera? Fun times! I invested in that for a short while.... I mean while we're talking about promises. :)

I was invested in 3 EVs before Tesla came along.... My internal compass of what "non-delivery" looks like has changed dramatically in my lifetime.

Haha, yes, I had a deposit down for an Aptera 2e for many years. I gave it to them as a sort of pat-on-the-back, encouraged by their creativity in having re-thought the automobile from the ground up. To my astonishment, I got back every cent of my deposit when they wound the company down (though of course there was lost value due to inflation and opportunity cost). I have to count pennies as an academic, so could not invest more widely. I would have wanted to road-test the Aptera if it had gotten to production, and see crash test results, so may or may not have chosen to actually own one. I chose my avatar as a reminder to be modest about our state of advancement, and ambitious to do better. I feel very fortunate to be able to drive my Model S, but it gets less than 1/3 of the MPGe of the Aptera (though is also larger and roomier, more versatile, and has longer range and better acceleration than the 2e, which was only a two-seater). But it also gets four times the MPG that the loaner
ICE car I was given when my Model S last went into the shop, which should be disheartening to anyone concerned with the very real problems of climate change and rising expectations for mobility in an ever-growing human population.

I won't get involved in discussions of Elon Musk as Saint/Satan or Tesla as Good/Evil, of promises made/broken, as I find most such discussions based upon incomplete and sometimes erroneous information, sometimes coupled with misunderstandings of the limits of technology, and thus ultimately fruitless -- but I empathize with your pain.