Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For free: Original Model S brochures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2011 MS came with a battery up to 300 miles range? really? I know they tried out battery swaps I think in Southern California for a short time before dropping that. Was that happening in 2011 as well?

Thanks for posting the .pdf of the brochure. Haven't seen much in the way of printed material on the car so enjoyed your post.

The 2011 MS came with a battery up to 300 miles range? really? I know they tried out battery swaps I think in Southern California for a short time before dropping that. Was that happening in 2011 as well?

Thanks for posting the .pdf of the brochure. Haven't seen much in the way of printed material on the car so enjoyed your post.

Thanks for the nice words. A little bit of history for sure.

Note that the brochure says "up to 300 miles range." This was one of the original brochures produced before the car was made (note that the image is of the prototype). They hoped to have a solid 300 miles of range for this car. And when the car finally WAS released, I believe the "85" battery was the largest? What was the EPA range of that? I know it was first RWD as well...

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I'm going through my EV brochure collection, and thinning the heard. Before I recycle, I wanted to check and see if anybody is interested in having these brochures. I think I have three. You can see both sides of it here.

I also have this hand-made calendar. I can't recall the history of it now, but I have it! Front is scratched up from poor storage, but the inside is all new and pristine.

View attachment 357582 View attachment 357586
Base price $49,900.
Deliveries begin 2011
5m battery swap
:)

Yea I wish Elon wouldn't make promises until he knows he can deliver on or exceed them for 100% sure. One of my main gripes with him... The haters have a field day with his missed deadlines and predictions, and most of them are self imposed and unnecessary to even throw out in the public.
For the most part, I agree and feel your frustration. And yet, if you'll indulge me to play the devil's advocate for a moment:

Setting realistic goals are pretty easy. If you think it'll take four years to bring the car to market, then just say it'll take six, and presto! You are likely to easily meet your goal and everybody is thrilled.... except they aren't. They're too busy yawning to remember anything you said. This is why GM and Ford and many others are just so darn exciting. We'll bring something out at some time when WE think that you'll want it. And boy, we'll just NAIL those goals.

Now... if instead, you decide that you'll try for TWO years instead of the four, even if you miss the goal by 50% you're still way ahead of everybody else. In some ways, I see the end result as being a net benefit to set unrealistic goals and try really hard for them, than to set easy goals and yawn your way toward meeting them.

It's just how my opinion of Musk's goals for Tesla has shaped itself in my head over the years. Yes, he's missed goals like crazy. And yet, he's exceeded anybody else's "realistic goals" by a wide margin. Can we have one without the other? I'm not sure. Does it really matter what the "goals" are, if the result is good? I'm not sure.

Remember that 100% of the industry, and most of the general population thought that a realistic goal for Tesla by now would be utter and complete failure. And ooops! They've now produced three of the world's best cars just six years since the first S rolled off the line. So it may be a better plan to hold the rest of the world accountable for *their* failed and negative "goals" for the company.

thoughts now that we're wildly off-topic? :)

Yea I wish Elon wouldn't make promises until he knows he can deliver on or exceed them for 100% sure. One of my main gripes with him... The haters have a field day with his missed deadlines and predictions, and most of them are self imposed and unnecessary to even throw out in the public.
I think Elon's problems are way deeper than missed deadlines, unless you consider never delivering at all just a missed deadline. Then there is a under-delivering, sell people on, a good example of which is "(AP1) summon will find you anywhere on private property" and deliver late a "car will drive up to 40 feet in a straight line while you hold a dead-man switch to make sure the car doesn't hit anything". Not sure which category you will put "5m battery swap" - never delivered, under-delivered (only one station by invitation only and took 20+ minutes), or missed deadline (only 7 years late, it's coming soon)?

I think Elon's problems are way deeper than missed deadlines, unless you consider never delivering at all just a missed deadline. Then there is a under-delivering, sell people on, a good example of which is "(AP1) summon will find you anywhere on private property" and deliver late a "car will drive up to 40 feet in a straight line while you hold a dead-man switch to make sure the car doesn't hit anything". Not sure which category you will put "5m battery swap" - never delivered, under-delivered (only one station by invitation only and took 20+ minutes), or missed deadline (only 7 years late, it's coming soon)?
Fair points. And can I just mention how pleasant it is to have a conversation like this without the intense baggage of having to choose a side: Musk Hater or Tesla Fanboy? Man, I get tired of that crap.

Me too. While it’s kind of fun looking back, looking forward is even more fun given that while it may take Tesla longer to achieve some of the goals it sets, what gets delivered is pretty awesome. I for one even though I’ll never likely drive or ride in one can’t wait for the Semi or new Roadster to come off the production line and see on the streets. Living in the Bay area my chances are probably better than those across county, except I guess for the Semi if you live near one of the companies buying them for their fleet. I still remember seeing on tv years ago news coverage of the roadster that hit something in the road and had the undercarriage fire. Hadn’t heard of Tesla as a company or given it much thought. So much learned about batteries, motors and assembly line production since then. Makes pieces of Tesla promotional history cool to see.

For the most part, I agree and feel your frustration. And yet, if you'll indulge me to play the devil's advocate for a moment:

Setting realistic goals are pretty easy. If you think it'll take four years to bring the car to market, then just say it'll take six, and presto! You are likely to easily meet your goal and everybody is thrilled.... except they aren't. They're too busy yawning to remember anything you said. This is why GM and Ford and many others are just so darn exciting. We'll bring something out at some time when WE think that you'll want it. And boy, we'll just NAIL those goals.

Now... if instead, you decide that you'll try for TWO years instead of the four, even if you miss the goal by 50% you're still way ahead of everybody else. In some ways, I see the end result as being a net benefit to set unrealistic goals and try really hard for them, than to set easy goals and yawn your way toward meeting them.

It's just how my opinion of Musk's goals for Tesla has shaped itself in my head over the years. Yes, he's missed goals like crazy. And yet, he's exceeded anybody else's "realistic goals" by a wide margin. Can we have one without the other? I'm not sure. Does it really matter what the "goals" are, if the result is good? I'm not sure.

Remember that 100% of the industry, and most of the general population thought that a realistic goal for Tesla by now would be utter and complete failure. And ooops! They've now produced three of the world's best cars just six years since the first S rolled off the line. So it may be a better plan to hold the rest of the world accountable for *their* failed and negative "goals" for the company.

thoughts now that we're wildly off-topic? :)
I suppose I should clarify because what you're describing is exactly how I think he works and I arrived at that conclusion by working for C level execs that use the same tactic. Set u realistic goals that everyone knows can't be met... But they try anyway. Result.. you don't meet the goals but you get it done much quicker than you would have had the goals been realistic.

Now.. where I have a problem with his approach... it is fine to set unrealistic stretch goals (that are say tied to bonuses, etc) INTERNALLY that stay internal. But he broadcasts these goals and makes these promises like he is 100% certain he will be able to do X by Y. Tweets it, says it in interviews, etc KNOWING it is extremely unlikely they will be able to pull it off. That is borderline misleading and when you start doing those things and it affects stock prices: You have a problem. Causes high turnover at executive and manager leadership positions: you have a problem. Results in people getting hurt in manufacturing areas because they are rushing: you have a problem.

IMO, there's a big difference between internal stretch goals and external customer and shareholder facing promises.

I suppose I should clarify because what you're describing is exactly how I think he works and I arrived at that conclusion by working for C level execs that use the same tactic. Set u realistic goals that everyone knows can't be met... But they try anyway. Result.. you don't meet the goals but you get it done much quicker than you would have had the goals been realistic.

Now.. where I have a problem with his approach... it is fine to set unrealistic stretch goals (that are say tied to bonuses, etc) INTERNALLY that stay internal. But he broadcasts these goals and makes these promises like he is 100% certain he will be able to do X by Y. Tweets it, says it in interviews, etc KNOWING it is extremely unlikely they will be able to pull it off. That is borderline misleading and when you start doing those things and it affects stock prices: You have a problem. Causes high turnover at executive and manager leadership positions: you have a problem. Results in people getting hurt in manufacturing areas because they are rushing: you have a problem.

IMO, there's a big difference between internal stretch goals and external customer and shareholder facing promises.
Well said! And I agree.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Fair points. And can I just mention how pleasant it is to have a conversation like this without the intense baggage of having to choose a side: Musk Hater or Tesla Fanboy? Man, I get tired of that crap.
Maybe the difference is not Musk Hater or Tesla Fanboy, but instead people who gave Elon money based on promises he never fulfilled or completely under-delivered, vs. those watching from a sidelines. Elon accomplishes a lot, no argument there, so if you're watching from the side it's easy to miss the fact that sometimes he delivers not to people he actually sold it to, or the fact that a lot of times he doesn't the things he sold at all, but delivers other impressive things to other people. If you paid for a single family house, and never got it, would you be praising the company you gave money to for building a skyscraper on the moon instead? It's much more impressive than a single family home on earth right, so you'd be cheering, or not?

This is what I was getting at but didn't want to go all the way there like you did because I'd have to put a flame suit on.. My avatar already makes me unpopular enough :) Yea, there's missed deadlines and then there's just pure snake oil.

[...]

Did my PDF post work for the rest of you?

Very kind of you to have done this, many thanks! I'm happy to have this: it's an amusing and interesting bit of Model S history. The scan was a bit sketchy, so if any holders of one of the originals wants me to create a hi-res scan to share, I'd be happy to do so (PM me). I'd return the original, of course. Thanks, @EVnut !

• Love