TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

For Hybrid Drivers, a Gas Pump Allergy?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Oct 20, 2012.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

For Hybrid Drivers, a Gas Pump Allergy? - NYTimes.com

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This just reinforces that

1) The typical journey really is within the Volt's range.

2) Recharge opportunities are easy enough to find.

3) It gets used like an EV as much as possible - the engine is there to take you on longer journeys only, not as a substitute for charging. I payed the small premium for that capability.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Part of that surely is that there is less range in a Volt. A LEAF driver my not bother to plug in because they know they will make it home, after 50 miles, no problems so no plugging in. Where the Volt couldn't do a 50+ round trip really without charging.

But interesting none the less.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

But isn't the real take away from this article: If you have to charge away from home during local driving anytime other than the very odd occasion, the battery range of the car you purchased is just too low? I'd expect any car I purchase to do a minimum of three days' commuting driving. (This gives me some leeway if there is a power outage one day, the connector has problems, or there is an exceptional circumstance).

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Not everyone can get a $90k Model S.