Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Model 3 Is the rear crossbeam/shelf (that the rear seats click into) a structural piece? Can I remove it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say I never need the rear seats and I want to sleep in the back. Can I remove this beam/shelf in the picture?

1653326943321.png

Dude, just get a room !

a
P.S.: The shelf is welded in, not bolted. How are you torch skills?
P.P.S.: It is structural from the perspective of rear seats crash-worthiness. If you nuke the shelf, you would be well advised to remove the rear seats altogether as well.
Haha. I have a room. Should I have said camp instead?

So removing it is no problem. (Probably would not use a plasma torch.) Question is: does the structural integrity of the car depends on any of the metal in there?

I see truckla (they added reinforcements after)

I see convertible model 3 (they keep this shelf).

So I believe this is a unique question whose answer can add value to the community.

Upvote 0
1. It's a metal piece directly connecting above the top of the rear suspensions, plus it holds the seats in place, I'd be surprised if it isn't structural, especially considering the rear window design of the 3 without a cross beam like a normal sedan
2. the decrease in resale value of your "modified" car just to gain an extra couple inches of room to rotate while you camp in the back surely can't be worth it?

Upvote 0
2. the decrease in resale value of your "modified" car just to gain an extra couple inches of room to rotate while you camp in the back surely can't be worth it?

Many of us don’t care about resale value. I don’t plan on selling mine anytime soon, that’s for sure.

To the OP- I’m guessing that it’s structural, but my biggest concern would be how it’s removal would affect the rear window and allow it to crack easier.

*and, yes. I’ve thought about doing this too.

Reactions: sparklehunt
Upvote 0
Yes, the metal under the shelf is structural. It’s how they achieved the (slightly) better rear visibility and headroom in Model 3 and why we didn’t get a hatch on mini S. Sure, you can probably remove it by installing much heavier and less capable reinforcements but, if that was the best option, Franz would’ve done it; he clearly digs hatch styling and practicality.

Car camping is pretty nice even with the shelf (heck, it makes a great place to set your screen for a movie in bed). Want more room, consider the Y.

Upvote 0
Yes, the metal under the shelf is structural. It’s how they achieved the (slightly) better rear visibility and headroom in Model 3 and why we didn’t get a hatch on mini S. Sure, you can probably remove it by installing much heavier and less capable reinforcements but, if that was the best option, Franz would’ve done it; he clearly digs hatch styling and practicality.

Car camping is pretty nice even with the shelf (heck, it makes a great place to set your screen for a movie in bed). Want more room, consider the Y.
That's a perfect answer, thank you!

Upvote 0