Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Sale 2012 P85 37k miles. Stunning Charcoal Paint Charcoal 21" wheels. Like new. $68,995

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When new was $102,970... faster than a Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. etc. GREEN (NO pollution, can be solar powered), Lean and mean!!!

Bumper to bumper warranty until October... and 4 more years after that for battery and drive unit.

Huge Tesla fan here. Best "cars" on the planet. The future! (only selling because I just got the Model X, that I have been waiting 3.5 years for). You will LOVE this car!

85KW battery
21" Charcoal Grey turbine wheels
Panaorama Moon Roof
Nappa Leater and Alcantara with red piping
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html

Obeche wood decor
Tech package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Smart Air Suspension
Super Charger Enabled
Dual Chargers
Paint Armor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler

Save $ on gas! (my electric bill went down after signing up for PGE EV plan).
Very little maintenance, no tune ups, oil changes belts, hoses etc. Rarely needs brakes if ever.

Technical Features
• Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor, variable
frequency drive
• Performance drive inverter with regenerative braking system
• Microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery
• Single speed gearbox
• Active Air Suspension
• 10 kW on-board charger
• 10 kW capable Mobile Connector
• 120 volt, 240 volt and J1772 adaptors
• Supercharge Hardware
Safety Features
• Eight airbags including driver and passenger head, knee and pelvis, plus front
and second row side curtain airbags
• Three point driver and front passenger safety belts with retractor pretensioners
and secondary lap anchor pretensioners and load limiters
• Three point second row safety belts for all three seats
• Anti-Lock disc brakes (ABS) with ventilated rotors and electronic parking brake
• Traction Control
• Stability Control
• Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations
• Rear door child safety locks
• Tire pressure monitoring system
• Anti-theft alarm system
Exterior Features
• Performance exterior trim
• Aluminum body with high strength steel reinforcements
• UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield
• Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster
• Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers
• Flush mounted door handles
• Frameless, tempered safety glass front windows
• Keyless entry
Interior Features
• Nappa leather interior with contrast piping and Alcantara bolsters
• 17" capacitive touchscreen with media, communication, passenger cabin and
vehicle controls
• Bluetooth wireless technology
• Cruise Control
• 200 watt, 7 speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports mp3, AAC
and mp4 music formats and flash memory storage for up to 500 songs
• Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls
• Power tilt and telescope steering column
• Power windows featuring one-touch up and down with resistance reversing
• Automatic climate control with dual zone temperature settings, air distribution
controls and recirculation
• 60/40 split second row seats

1. Good luck (you're overpriced it seems)
Two observations:
1) The Tesla buy back guarantee is 3 years, 50% base price, 43% options. Give it generously a 50% over 100k, this car is worth $50k at most to Tesla.
2) Assuming OP can move this car at or close to his asking price, he's taken a depreciation of $34k over 3.5 years. That's 10k per year. AAA estimates $10.7k per year for operating a large sedan. Add maintenance and electricity, this is not too much more compared to a gasoline car.

$69K? That is not going to happen.

It's nearly 4 years old with 37K miles. A brand new 70 with UHFS and SAS is $70,200 after federal tax rebate. Could be $67,700 in some states. And it has the following that your P85 doesn't:

• LED headlamps
  • Parking sensors
  • Power folding mirrors
  • All autopilot safety features

It only has 13 miles less rated range (253 vs 240).

Your P85 is worth high 40s to low 50s at best.

This is definitely priced too high.

My CPO 2014 P85 purchased directly from Tesla came w/ another 4 years of warranty for less than this. Had all the same options except SAS, but it only had 12k miles AND it's two years newer. Plus the other features introduced in later P85 models such as parking sensors, power folding mirrors, etc.

Drop it to $55K and you may see interest (when placed in the appropriate place on TMC).

Yeah, this asking price is crazy high.
I just bought a 2013 P85 with everything above and more (not sure if this one has premium lighting, plus rear facing seats, $111k new)
Plus the widows were nicely tinted, plus center console, plus a new in box tesla HPWC.
Mine has 33k miles. 1.25yrs remaining on original factory warranty.
Paid $55k for all that (private party sale)

Also, I agree that Tesla's trade in offer would be something like:
69,900 x 0.5 + (102,970 - 69,900) x 0.43 = $49,170

BUT, that would be at the 3 year mark. AND, IIRC, Tesla only guarantees that if you financed through them. So, it's possible (probable) they would undercut that anyway, even if the car was only 3 years old.

My guess is trade in is more like $44k at best

Last edited:
Most of the responders aren't considering the market he's posting in. He's in the SF Bay Area and there isn't a single P85 on craigslist of any year or mileage less than $63K. Completed auctions for ebay P85s with over 30K miles of 2012 and 2013 are $55K to $61K. I'd pay quite a bit more for a local car that I can get my hands on and test drive than a car on ebay.

If I were in the market for a used P85, I'd pay $63K for yours in a heartbeat. $69K is still too high though, even for the Bay Area but it's not outrageously priced. It's what I would start out asking in the same market for this particular car and then I'd be willing to go down to low 60s.

Not trying to pile on as it's been made fairly clear you've overpriced it just a bit!

But yes that's asking too much for a car that's almost out of warranty, does not have any modern features such as autopilot, folding mirrors, parking sensors

Time to accept the fact that your car is severely outdated, still a great car by no means! but not worth what you're asking

I wouldn't say severely outdated, it's still an awesome car. The main issue is that the audience of buyers for this vehicle has changed a lot from when it was new. A new P85 in 2012 was the flagship model, 4.1 sec 0-60, and commanded a premium price from a premium buyer who was looking to have the latest/greatest/best no matter what the cost.

Reselling it today, the buyer looking at this car is the one who wants to get into a model S, but it has to make financial sense and fit within his budget. It's no longer the fastest model and is missing several current features. In addition to the age and mileage depreciation, it can no longer command the premium buyer audience that it did when new. For the car to make sense to these current potential buyers, it has to be a really good deal.

If you're the kind of person that is going to want to upgrade your vehicle to the latest/greatest/best every 3 years, strongly consider leasing instead of buying.

Reactions: whitex
Just echoing what others have stated already--the asking price is way too high. Agree with the post stating that the target market for this car is someone just looking to get into a Model S, but willing to make a few concessions (no AP etc). You can't price it at a premium level.

Best of luck. It's your vehicle and you can ask whatever price you want :)

Bumper to bumper warranty until October... and 4 more years after that for battery and drive unit.

Only selling because I just got the Model X, that I have been waiting 3.5 years for). You will LOVE this car!

85KW battery
21" Charcoal Grey turbine wheels
Panaorama Moon Roof
Nappa Leater and Alcantara with red piping
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html
5508636527.html

Obeche wood decor
Tech package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Smart Air Suspension
Super Charger Enabled
Dual Chargers
Paint Armor
Carbon Fiber Spoiler

Save $ on gas! (my electric bill went down after signing up for PGE EV plan).
Very little maintenance, no tune ups, oil changes belts, hoses etc. Rarely needs brakes if ever.

Technical Features
• Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor, variable
frequency drive
• Performance drive inverter with regenerative braking system
• Microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery
• Single speed gearbox
• Active Air Suspension
• 10 kW on-board charger
• 10 kW capable Mobile Connector
• 120 volt, 240 volt and J1772 adaptors
• Supercharge Hardware
Safety Features
• Eight airbags including driver and passenger head, knee and pelvis, plus front
and second row side curtain airbags
• Three point driver and front passenger safety belts with retractor pretensioners
and secondary lap anchor pretensioners and load limiters
• Three point second row safety belts for all three seats
• Anti-Lock disc brakes (ABS) with ventilated rotors and electronic parking brake
• Traction Control
• Stability Control
• Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations
• Rear door child safety locks
• Tire pressure monitoring system
• Anti-theft alarm system
Exterior Features
• Performance exterior trim
• Aluminum body with high strength steel reinforcements
• UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield
• Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster
• Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers
• Flush mounted door handles
• Frameless, tempered safety glass front windows
• Keyless entry
Interior Features
• Nappa leather interior with contrast piping and Alcantara bolsters
• 17" capacitive touchscreen with media, communication, passenger cabin and
vehicle controls
• Bluetooth wireless technology
• Cruise Control
• 200 watt, 7 speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports mp3, AAC
and mp4 music formats and flash memory storage for up to 500 songs
• Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls
• Power tilt and telescope steering column
• Power windows featuring one-touch up and down with resistance reversing
• Automatic climate control with dual zone temperature settings, air distribution
controls and recirculation
• 60/40 split second row seats

I'd take a minimum of $64,000. I was offered by Audi Palo Alto $55,000. So, if an Audi dealer offered me 55k, 64k private should be possible. I appreciate all the input above. Thanks! The thing is for me, is that, I just still really love the car, and don't "have" to sell it. If I don't get a number that makes sense, I'll just "have" to keep it!! Poor me lol... one thing of note is that if Audi PA is willing to give me 55K I don't think I'm that far off
20160314_183709.jpg
20160314_183712.jpg
20160314_183719.jpg
20160315_190436.jpg
20160315_190519.jpg
20160315_190632.jpg
20160315_190657.jpg

I do sincerely wish you the best of luck getting the most you can.

However, maybe we can turn this into a data point :)

This 2012 Sig MS failed to sell today on Ebay with a high bid of just $54,600 (reserve not met)
It had under 16k miles!
Tesla: Model S NAVIGATION PANOROOF HEATED SEATS REARCAM USB PORT

Perhaps there are buyers out there who are not like me. But I'd make the assertion that any buyer who is willing to spend that kind of money on a private sale like this, would want to put another $4k into it to extend the warranty.

That would make your price $64k + $4k = $68k. Adding 8.75% tax that brings it to $73,950

What you'd be selling would be fairly compelling. I just bought something similar so I hesitate to call it severely outdated.
It's still plenty fast enough. As I understand, RWDs are quieter. The frunk is bigger than anything you can get with this 0-60 time today.
It would have 4.5yrs warranty which is good peace of mind. If you can get over not having AP, parking sensors, next gen seats, and
a few other things, it's still a great car.

But...at $73,950 IMO it's not at all a good value.
You can get a brand new 70D with:
$1000 paint, Pano, Next Gen Seats, AP, Premium Interior, SAS, UHFS...for $93,200 + tax - $10k rebates/credits = $91,355

That's a way better car. All the latest quality and fit and finish. New redesigned look. 3.5 years/ 37k miles newer, AP!, bio defence mode, etc...
And you're only offering a $17,405 savings for that sacrifice.
The only notable things your car offers that this car doesn't is 1 less second to 60mph, and a bigger frunk.

I just can't see anybody who is spending this kind of money, not realizing this.

Also, I've known a couple people lately to have gotten "firm trade in offers" for Teslas, only to have them repeatedly fall through.
I would suggest testing Audi of Palo Alto on that by getting that offer in writing.

Again, wishing you the best. Don't think my reality is the same as yours. But super curious to know how this turns out.

Last edited:
I was offered by Audi Palo Alto $55,000. So, if an Audi dealer offered me 55k, 64k private should be possible.
Was that a purchase or a trade-in price (assuming you're getting a new car from them)? A "trade-in value" can be adjusted quite a bit, higher trade-in simply means they won't discount the new car much. When buying my MS I took my almost 8 year old Lexus to a Lexus dealer to see what they would buy it for. After inspecting the car, the used sales manager told me $21K trade-in value. Once I said, "ok, can you write me a check right now?" he very quickly backed out saying that this was only if I get a new one from them. So I asked how much for them to buy, the price went to $15K, then $16K as I was walking out the door, but not any higher.

One more thing to keep in mind is that your car is about to have another drop in value once the warranty expires. So, if you do want to sell it, price it sell it sooner rather than later. On the other hand if this is one of those "I have to get $69K in order to afford a new P90D replacement, but if I can't get that I'll keep driving this one" situations, then I understand that too - you either sell it or you don't, no room for other outcomes.

Lastly, posting for sale at a premium price in a forum like this is usually counter productive. There will always be people who will tell you "too pricey" and "here is a cheaper alternative". The problem is, if you do come across a potential buyer and that buyer comes across this post, they will likely be swayed from buying at the $69K price. This of course means that anyone who found out about your car from this post, automatically read all the opinions too, making it unlikely you'll get a buyer from this post, but possible a buyer who found it elsewhere may be detracted if they find this post. IMHO.