Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Sale: Winter Tires - Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's for 18" Aeros Plus Chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Traded in my Model 3 SR+ (don't worry, will be getting a Y soon) and have a set of used winter tires and chains that I need removed from my garage.

Tires: Nokian Hakkapeliita R3's 235/45/R18 set of four. The two that were on the front have very minimal wear (8mm mark still very clear) and the two on the back have moderate wear (6mm marks mostly faded away, see pictures). To be clear, this is a set of 4 tires only, NO RIMS. Used for 1 season, don't know exact mileage on the tires but it is likely in the 3,000-5,000 mile range.

Chains: Exact set that you can buy from Tesla for $115. Only taken out once to test fit, never used (never needed with the Nokians on, bought them just incase and kept them in the frunk). This is a set of two chains to be used on the rear tires only.

Asking $400 for everything, feel free to give a reasonable offer. Original cost of everything was about $1100.

For now I am asking for local pick up only in Castle Rock Colorado. If they don't sell in a couple of weeks I will open up to shipping them but I'd rather not as it is a PITA to ship tires.

IMG_20201017_095405380.jpg
IMG_20201017_095422443.jpg
IMG_20201017_095429914.jpg
IMG_20201017_095438547.jpg
IMG_20201017_095500509.jpg
IMG_20201017_095512835.jpg
IMG_20201017_095701218.jpg
IMG_20201017_095810630.jpg
IMG_20201017_095911955.jpg

I'm thinking about putting these on my Aero wheels (235-55/18) for my AWD Model Y. I had X-Ice 3's on my Model 3 and was very happy with them, but these are sized a little better and have a slightly better winter reputation. So how did you like them? My only reservation about buy some is seeing how worn yours were after only 1 season.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts about them.
Stach

I'm thinking about putting these on my Aero wheels (235-55/18) for my AWD Model Y. I had X-Ice 3's on my Model 3 and was very happy with them, but these are sized a little better and have a slightly better winter reputation. So how did you like them? My only reservation about buy some is seeing how worn yours were after only 1 season.

I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts about them.
Stach

I've been running winter tires on all of my vehicles for about 20+ years now and have in that time used a few different brands/styles including Nokian Hakkapeliita, Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, and Firestones (don't remember their name).

As far as performance goes, the Nokians are the best, but we're talking about the difference between a gold medal winner in the Olympics and the silver medal winner. Most of them are world class. But as you noticed, the down side with the Nokians is they wear quite fast. I had a set on my wife's Prius that she had a few years ago and noticed the same, excellent performance, but rapid wear.

Right now I have X-Ice's on our Clarity. The performance of those are pretty good (Not up to par with the Nokians, but not that far off) and they are going on their third season with about 50% tread left so the rate of wear is much better. That being a front wheel drive car with those on it got us through a REALLY bad snow storm in the mountains that shut down the interstate. We were able to take county roads through the mountains to get home. So if I had an AWD vehicle I would feel plenty confident with X-Ice tires. The only reason I went with the Nokians over X-Ice with the Model 3 was that it was RWD and I felt that the extra performance was more desirable than the better wear characteristics of the Michelins.

So in the end you just have to figure out what you desire most, but you can't really go wrong with whatever you get. Well except for those firestones I got once, those were total junk, barely better than a regular all season tire.

Reactions: Stach
I've been running winter tires on all of my vehicles for about 20+ years now and have in that time used a few different brands/styles including Nokian Hakkapeliita, Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, and Firestones (don't remember their name).

But as you noticed, the down side with the Nokians is they wear quite fast. I had a set on my wife's Prius that she had a few years ago and noticed the same, excellent performance, but rapid wear.

So in the end you just have to figure out what you desire most, but you can't really go wrong with whatever you get. Well except for those firestones I got once, those were total junk, barely better than a regular all season tire.

Thanks for the great writeup and you've probably just switched my mind back to the X-Ice 3's, since my AWD Model Y should perform very well with those as well. The existing X-Ice 3's have already lasted 2 winters on my Model 3 SR+ and still have 7-8mm left, so I do believe they will last longer.

Cheers!