Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For spare tire purposes, will the front fit rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for spare tire purposes, will the front fit rear? the 20 inch stock model x wheels. i know someone selling a rear tire (1). I wanted to get it for spare tire when i go out of town.
will that fit front too? just for spare/temp usage.

for spare tire purposes, will the front fit rear? the 20 inch stock model x wheels. i know someone selling a rear tire (1). I wanted to get it for spare tire when i go out of town.
will that fit front too? just for spare/temp usage.

The front tires are: 265/45R20
The rear tires are: 275/45R20

The front tires are narrower in width while the rear tires are wider in width.

Thus, you can run all 4 tires with 265/45R20 fine for the ease of tire rotation and replacement with the same narrower width.

However, you cannot fit the wider rear tires to the narrower front.

In summary, if you want to buy a spare, buy the front narrower tire 265/45R20 that can fit any of your 4 tires.

Reactions: righton
The front tires are: 265/45R20
The rear tires are: 275/45R20

The front tires are narrower in width while the rear tires are wider in width.

Thus, you can run all 4 tires with 265/45R20 fine for the ease of tire rotation and replacement with the same narrower width.

However, you cannot fit the wider rear tires to the narrower front.

In summary, if you want to buy a spare, buy the front narrower tire 265/45R20 that can fit any of your 4 tires.
ok got it, but the rear wheel with 265 will fit the front ?

ok got it, but the rear wheel with 265 will fit the front ?
According to another recent thread, the answer to this question is also no. Technically, they will fit, but the same rubbing will occur regardless of whether you have the 275 or 265 tire on the wider rear wheel. This is likely due to the offset difference between the front and rear wheel (not sure if they have different offsets, or if they have the same offset while is measured from the outside meaning more wheel left inside on a wider wheel).

According to another recent thread, the answer to this question is also no. Technically, they will fit, but the same rubbing will occur regardless of whether you have the 275 or 265 tire on the wider rear wheel. This is likely due to the offset difference between the front and rear wheel (not sure if they have different offsets, or if they have the same offset while is measured from the outside meaning more wheel left inside on a wider wheel).
You might be right. Although I can't find the reference now I remember reading from a few owners who just unified all their 4 tires in the X to 265 size and they are happy for the ease of tire rotations and replacements without any problem.

You might be right. Although I can't find the reference now I remember reading from a few owners who just unified all their 4 tires in the X to 265 size and they are happy for the ease of tire rotations and replacements without any problem.
Where I read about it being a problem, the poster had to take them back to the tire shop to be fixed because the wheels were all the same size even though they measurably weren't. However, the rubbing would only occur at full lock, and possibly only in reverse, so multiple people could be running square tires and rotating them without much issue in spite of the minor oddities that would cause.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Where I read about it being a problem, the poster had to take them back to the tire shop to be fixed because the wheels were all the same size even though they measurably weren't. However, the rubbing would only occur at full lock, and possibly only in reverse, so multiple people could be running square tires and rotating them without much issue in spite of the minor oddities that would cause.

I had a similar issue where the tire shop accidentally switched the front and rear wheels. Had the rubbing at full lock; brought it back so they could fix it.

I have yet to get under there and check what’s now the rear wheel; suspect it’s scratched up on the inner rim. Not a big deal, but annoying.

MX front & rear Tyre and wheel sizes are different - MX front wheel is 9" and rear is 9.5" . So the rear wheel may have to be changed to 9" if you want to go square ( 265/40/20 all across) . Somebody more knowledgeable in this matter can confirm.

Front on legacy cars is 9" ET35, rear is 9.5" ET40

Adding to the fun, the offset is flipped according to tesla on the rfresh cars - the refresh has 9" ET40 front, 9.5" ET35 rear

A small spacer will probably take care of the problem if you're in a pinch

Front fits on rear:
PXL_20210911_023836484.jpg

PXL_20210911_023826680.jpg

PXL_20210911_023826680.jpg

The problem with spacers is our studs aren't long enough to accommodate any usable spacer and have proper thread engagement on the nut.