Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Swap: Corded Mobile Connector Charging Cable System for a CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Are you interested in swapping
a Corded Mobile Connector (from me)
for a CHAdeMO adapter (from you)?

I have a new Connector; hopefully you have a CHAdeMO in good shape you don't need. My Corded Mobile Connector:
  • Is brand new, never used.
  • Tesla Part # 1106293-00-A.
  • Includes original carry-bag.
  • Purchased directly from Tesla.
  • Sells new for $520 ($70 more than a new CHAdeMO).
  • Is 20-feet long (longer than Gen 3 Wall Connectors).
  • Charges at up to 40 amps/9.6 kW.
  • Faster than the Gen 2 mobile connector cable provided by Tesla using an optional NEMA 14-50 adapter plug.
  • Much faster than the Gen 2 cable using the standard NEMA 5-15 plug provided by Tesla.
  • Useful for travel.
  • Very useful for home charging.
  • Potentially allows you to keep your Gen 2 Mobile Connector in your car (for on-the-road charging). This Connector cable is perfect for (overnight) home charging.

Would you trade me this: Teslas CHAdeMO Adapter - $450 for this: Tesla Corded Mobile Connector - $520 + Corded Mobile Connector Bag ?

Your CHAdeMOs, hopefully, is:
  • New or little-used.
  • In good shape, without damage.
  • Working perfectly.
  • In its original box, possibly.
  • Able to work with Tesla Models S, X, and 3.
I can probably meet you in the general Sacramento, San Francisco Bay, Stockton, or Chico, California areas. Otherwise, we'll work something safe and convenient out.

Here's an opportunity to swap something with an odd name you don't use (the CHAdeMO) for something you will use (a Corded Mobile Connector).

PM me to discuss.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
i'm just here to say your ad-copy is top notch. i hope someone takes you up on it just because of that. and would you like a job?
I think it would be simple to put an Ad to sell and to buy separably each item.

Note: I might be wrong, but I believe the picture shows a Type 2 charger? Don't the Type 1 uses a different plug adapter?

corded-mobile-connector-jpg.508788

Tesla Home Charger Type 1 .png

Last edited:
I think it would be simple to put an Ad to sell and to buy separably each item.

Note: I might be wrong, but I believe the picture shows a Type 2 charger? Don't the Type 1 uses a different plug adapter?

Hi there, "Watts_Up." I always enjoy your informative posts and interesting questions.

In this case you would maybe owe me a soda while we chatted at a Supercharger (once I get a car--ha, ha).

I "borrowed" the photos of the Corded Mobile Connector and its bag from the Tesla website for that specific item. So it should be the correct photo. (But from a "distance" photos of the Corded and Gen 2 Connectors look very similar or even identical. But of course the Gen 2 connector has interchangeable/removable adapter plugs, while the Corded connector is one-piece.) AFAIK, and I really hope this is true, these older ("Corded") connectors still work in the newer cars. Right? Right? (Please say "yes," anybody reading this.) The Tesla website itself says:

"The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter)."​

That implies to me that the Corded and Gen 2 connectors will both work in today's cars. Correct? And I don't think that the (proprietary) Tesla charging cable plug end (that plugs into an American car) has changed. BTW, Tesla could also have said that the Corded Mobile Connector is faster than even the Gen 2 Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 adaper. Plus having a Corded Connector frees up the Gen 2 Connector to remain in the car, where it is arguably meant to be, for on-the-road charging as needed.

So, in summary, watt (ha, ha) we have is:
  1. Gen 1 Mobile Connector - used to come with cars (before 2017?); charges at different rates depending on plug adapter attachment; maximum was 40 amps/9.6 kW, I believe (no longer available new; but plug attachments are still available from Tesla @$45 apiece)
  2. (Gen 1) Corded Mobile Connector - charges at 40 amps/9.6 kW (still available from Tesla @ $520; though sold out today)
  3. Gen 2 Mobile Connector (comes in new cars) - uses different plug attachments; charges at a maximum 32 amps/7.7 kW when using NEMA 14-50 plug attachment (still available from Tesla @$275+$35 for the optional NEMA 14-50 adapter, which is sold out at the moment)
  4. Gen 2 Wall Connector- should charge at up to the rate limit of your Tesla's internal charger (and your home's electrical system); good for simultaneous multi-car charging but requires expensive installation (and no longer available from Tesla)
  5. Gen 2 Wall Connector w/permanent NEMA 14-50 pigtail cord - charged at 40 amps/9.6 kW (no longer available from Tesla)
  6. Gen 3 Wall Connector - can charge up to 48 amps/11.5 kW (subject to car/house limits) (available from Tesla @$500)
For those people using a NEMA 14-50 receptacle (in garage or outside), I would argue that the original Corded Mobile Connector is still the best/cheapest way to get the fastest home charge.

*****​

As to buying and selling the items individually, maybe so. That may be a good suggestion. But I have had no luck so far finding a used CHAdeMO adapter in good condition for a decent price. (I only started looking not that long ago, and have only just recently ramped up my search.) I am used to the old guideline of used items starting at about half-price. But that rule does not appear to apply to Tesla charging accessories (e.g., J1772 adapters; Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 adapter plugs; etc.).

One reason for this is that prices on eBay can be so very high. And that is probably being driven in part by certain charging accessories being "Sold Out" so often on the Tesla website. But in time CHAdeMO adapters should return, at $450 (which is high enough as it is for something most of us will not use much, if at all).

So, then I started thinking about a trade (for a new charging accessory I regard as being generally more useful and valuable then a used CHAdeMO), and here we are...

Meanwhile, I ponder: will Tesla CHAdeMO adapters be updated in the near future (e.g., to be smaller, less unwieldy, and, most importantly, cheaper)? Or even become obsolete? Anything is possible, I suppose. Too bad that the Tesla charging port is proprietary and that there is not a universal standard for all electric cars. That may (and I predict will) come in time.

Last edited:
if you cannot charge at home and live near a CHAdeMO DC charger (Whole Foods, Ikea...) such adapter would be certainly worthwhile,

otherwise I would wait for getting a CCS adapter when Tesla will make the Model 3 CCS US version available.

Interesting to re-read these older posts. Yes. It turns out that I could wait--2 ¾ years!--for Tesla to release a CCS adapter in North America. :)