Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Tesla roof, what are tiles for NON solar portion made of?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I have a ski club lodge at Dodge Ridge Ski resort in Pinecrest. It's the one private residence at Dodge Ridge. We need to replace the roof and given the insane quotes we've gotten from local contractors, we thought we might at least explore a Tesla solar roof.

The lodge is about 7000 square feet and is 3 stories. Tesla's online estimator based on the address, number of stories, and square footage is coming out at $35K.

But I'm guessing this is only an estimate and it could be way off. The roof has a high pitch. Also, the quote just seems a little low given it's a somewhat remote area but the quote did include the address.

Also, does anyone know what the use for the non solar roof portion? i.e. if half the roof is solar based on the electricity usage, what is the non solar portion? Glass tiles that look like solar?

What is the pitch? The datasheet I received for the solar roof shingles says they can be installed on pitches between 2/12 and 12/12.

As far as pricing, it does not seem like Tesla adjusts pricing for location. They may not do the job if it is too out of the way, but it seems like if you get a quote for a specific roof, it will be the same regardless of where the roof is located. That is part of what made a solar roof more competitive for us, since we are in a relatively expensive area, particularly for labor costs, had we gone with a traditional roof and panels.

Reactions: SoCalSolarRoof
Do you happen to have the data sheet available still?
I posted it here in December:

Reactions: cobra
I have a ski club lodge at Dodge Ridge Ski resort in Pinecrest. It's the one private residence at Dodge Ridge. We need to replace the roof and given the insane quotes we've gotten from local contractors, we thought we might at least explore a Tesla solar roof.

The lodge is about 7000 square feet and is 3 stories. Tesla's online estimator based on the address, number of stories, and square footage is coming out at $35K.

But I'm guessing this is only an estimate and it could be way off. The roof has a high pitch. Also, the quote just seems a little low given it's a somewhat remote area but the quote did include the address.

Also, does anyone know what the use for the non solar roof portion? i.e. if half the roof is solar based on the electricity usage, what is the non solar portion? Glass tiles that look like solar?
Once Tesla gives a quote, they stick to it, unless there is additional work like subroof plywood to replace or other extraneous items. We paid an extra $200 for plywood and $770 to do a section of flat roof above our garage. That was it! We were fortunate to not need an electrical panel upgrade or other more expensive work.