TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

For the unlucky ones with a fixed spoiler

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by chloedog, May 31, 2016.

1. chloedog

chloedog Member

Anybody try to see if they can pay to have the SC install an active spoiler?

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I don't think it is possible but I will ask on my SC appointment on Friday. I got both a fixed spoiler and build issues ):

3. chloedog

chloedog Member

That's really unlucky :-(

I was thinking maybe they built the cars with the wiring in place for the active spoiler but slapped the fixed one on at the last minute when the parts became available.

In my model s originally tesla said the rear facing seats could not be retro fitted and had to be ordered at build time. But that turned out to not be true and they offered a way for the SC to retrofit rear facing seats. Hope that's the case here.

• Like x 1
  4. chloedog

chloedog Member

@K-MTG
    Looking forward to your SC appointment today :)

5. K-MTG

The car is at the SC

6. chloedog

chloedog Member

Did you get a chance to ask about the retrofit spoiler? Or will you ask when you pick up the car?

7. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

is it possible to ask for no spoiler to be installed from the factory?

8. K-MTG

They don't know, the guy said all 90D's are fixed lol

• Funny x 1
  9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

No. The center rear brake light is in the spoiler.

10. Ampster

Ampster Member

Well I guess in the March rush I was a lucky one because my 90D has a moveable spoiler.

11. K-MTG

It was clear that he said that so I don't continue to complain about the 1k to 2k 90D's that got it for FREE

12. F123456

F123456 Member

My X just went into production yesterday (90D), and I know it won't have an active spoiler. The spoiler was the one thing that made me even consider a P90, because I'm just not a fan of spoilers... So yes, I am disappointed that, even though I ordered my X a few months ago (when all were getting moveable spoilers), the spoiler on my vehicle will be fixed.

That said, I needed to comment on the title of this thread.

It's a new Tesla Model X!!! I just can't consider *any* of us "unlucky ones" because of a fixed spoiler!

• Like x 6
  13. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

When my spoiler won't raise or lower, you will all be basking in the glory of your fixed spoilers, living life like it was meant to be lived.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 3
  14. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I don't get the use of active spoiler. Does a 5500 lb car really even need an active spoiler to perform. I even wonder if spoiler needed at all

15. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I'm a lucky one who got it active, but agree the show may outweigh the go.

16. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

Is the spoiler used to apply downward force, or to improve the coefficient of drag?

17. daroon

daroon Member

The spoiler has a lot of inferred benefits, but at the end of the day, just like the FWDs, it's more about style.

Both of these moving parts are liabilities down the line. My spoiler is fixed, but I'm still stuck with those beautiful, magnificent, stupid, lumbering doors.

:/

• Funny x 1
  18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Both. Or one and the same as it were.

Or more descriptively, to reduce the low pressure zone at the back of the vehicle reducing drag...

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  19. Cutch26

Cutch26 Member

I wouldn't consider fixed spoiler people unlucky.. The more I think about it the more I hope mine comes fixed.. One less thing to have issues over the years

• Like x 1
  20. MattXowner

MattXowner Member

For anyone who hasn't seen the difference, here are some pics of a car with adaptive and fixed spoiler. Red= adaptive. Grey is fixed.

I was upset at first I didn't get the adaptive, but honestly, who cares. The adaptive has 2 advantages:

1: it closes when the car is off. Do you honestly care if it's up or down when you're NOT driving?

2: it adapts at highway speeds to supposedly increase range. Again, who cares? Car has plenty of range and I'd assume the extra weight of the mechanical parts of the adaptive spoiler offset the benefit. If you want 1.6% more range drive 1-2 mph slower. Lol.

The only possible thing I think id like about the adaptive spoiler is just turning it 100% off, but that would block your rear view.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 5