Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you buying sigs a "plus" model might be coming later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prototypes? Are you implying that the cars of earlier owners will be different than that of later ones? Please share the base for this theory (if you may like).

lol yes, exactly what I'm implying. just look at the Model S history and how many times they changed things in the first 12 months. door handles, nose cone changes, lighting changes, suspension changes, supercharging rate changes, missing features later added, even the early MS sigs had prototype parts, etc etc. the list is actually pretty long. i wouldn't even take a discount for an early X (let alone pay more). i'd rather wait until they finalize everything, and then buy.

lol yes, exactly what I'm implying. just look at the Model S history and how many times they changed things in the first 12 months. door handles, nose cone changes, lighting changes, suspension changes, supercharging rate changes, missing features later added, even the early MS sigs had prototype parts, etc etc. the list is actually pretty long. i wouldn't even take a discount for an early X (let alone pay more). i'd rather wait until they finalize everything, and then buy.
Given 50% of the X is shared platform with the S, I don't see the cause for concern. Either you need/want this particular car, or not. None of these early adopter bugaboos are deal breakers. I think Tesla could have handled the Insane-Ludicrous situation better, but other hardware retrofits are either price-tagged or free. The only issue to delay my click on the order button will be confidence that the car has all the hardware to fly Autopilot.

I don't have knowledge about S launch so I wont comment on that. I will take the example of 70D, P85D, 90D and P90DL. They all have new features in them and I don't think the early adopter suffered or later adopters received a different car because original S launch was botched (according to you).

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, I think Elon was super focused on making the best seats possible (after the Model-S seat fiasco) that he totally failed to recognize how important folding seats are to the targeted audience. The irony is that really comfortable seats are more important than utility in a sedan and that utility is more important than comfortable seats in an SUV. Tesla seems to have this reversed.
Did you like the car bro? Comments.

This is deja vue all over again. In 2012 we saw so many posts advising against purchasing first MS models. We ignored, got performance Sig red MS now with 35,000 miles and by far best car we have ever had. Actually has been exciting and fun to be early adopter, not only have we thoroughly enjoyed best in class safety and driving vehicle but probably have been responsible for over 10 MS purchases in past three years to friends and acquaintances to whom we have shown car. And with our production reservation in 600's we anticipate being responsible over time for at least a dozen MX sales. And all for a good cause, not only is the vehicle a world class best drive but avoid contributing to pollution. And Made In USA. Cheers.

This is deja vue all over again. In 2012 we saw so many posts advising against purchasing first MS models. We ignored, got performance Sig red MS now with 35,000 miles and by far best car we have ever had. Actually has been exciting and fun to be early adopter, not only have we thoroughly enjoyed best in class safety and driving vehicle but probably have been responsible for over 10 MS purchases in past three years to friends and acquaintances to whom we have shown car. And with our production reservation in 600's we anticipate being responsible over time for at least a dozen MX sales. And all for a good cause, not only is the vehicle a world class best drive but avoid contributing to pollution. And Made In USA. Cheers.
I think there's more to it than the usual "there's always something better coming" procrastination. The complexity of the X is far greater, the customer is now able to make a far better informed purchase decision, and we can see the X is patently not a fully formed product. Early adopters of the S were stepping into the unknown. They were in their hundreds. Early X customers will be expecting a finished product and they will be in their tens of thousands. It behooves Tesla to get it right just as much as it is the prerogative of the first Model X customers to get the whole car, not an "IOU" tag tapped over the control where the Autopilot and other features should be delivered.

I was able to play with the drivers side visor in Elon's car a bit last night. When stowed, they sit along the car frame above the drivers door and are attached to a magnetic catch up near where the seat belt comes out. When engaged, they pivot out and are secured by a magnetic catch in the thing in the middle of the windshield. When they are stowed they are quite narrow,but after they are engaged you can double the width because they are double thickness and they unfold down. And . . . There is another flap after that that you can flip down to reveal a lighted vanity mirror.

But it's interesting how polarizing this topic has become. There appear to be 2 sides: (a) I want folding seats and (b) are you nuts, Tesla doesn't make mistakes. I don't recall anyone ever posting that they would prefer to have non-folding seats or anyone that had a folding-seat phobia. These are a very strange opponents.
I would instead phrase the apparent two sides to be (a) I want folding seats, and (b) Tesla is allowed to make their own business decisions.

It's not that Tesla "doesn't make mistakes", it's that they are the ones in charge and they'll produce what they think is best to meet their goals and objectives. Maybe the 2nd row seats are a mistake... I have no idea. We'll all have to wait a bit and let history be the judge whether Tesla was right on this or not.

But you do know this will be an onging thing FOREVER don't you?

Maybe it would be interesting to do a pool to know about how many times already regular 7 seats SUV owners (of other brands) had been in the real need to fold the second rear seats? If it was to put more luggage, I think the X frunk compensate that. If it was for really big things, how many times they did this in respect of all the times they actually used their SUV car? For the Model 3 cross over, which will be a smaller car that the X, maybe the need of cargo volume will obligate Tesla to do folding seats like in the Model S, but I'm not convinced that they will not be able to retain the Falcon Doors, unless to price reasons.
For me, it's almost as Tesla could retain the rear Falcon doors for all future SUVs and Cross-Overs (and Roadster 3.0), and the regulars doors for Sedans, Wagons or Pickup/trucks.

By that logic, my March 2014 MS was a "prototype" because they made numerous changes since the build of my car... Let's see here, Seats (2 major changes since my purchase), dual motors, sensor suit (for Auto-Pilot and such), quite a number of features now standard, better floor mats, better rear cargo cover, new running boards, new screens in the car, 4G LTE, and I'm sure the list goes on and on with things I don't even perceive as different.

If the car is good enough for you in its current state, get it. If it isn't and you want to, you can wait. It's like anything else, if you want to hold out until the "final" version you will never buy it because they are always making it better.

About the staggered wheels, if that is really important to you, I would suggest putting off your purchase as it will likely be coming down the road in short timing.

There is always something 'coming later'. Always. A well-run company has a roadmap and is always working towards the next release. If I want the latest Tesla for more than a week (give or take), I'd never have one.

Buy when it's the right car for you.

If the car is good enough for you in its current state, get it. If it isn't and you want to, you can wait. It's like anything else, if you want to hold out until the "final" version you will never buy it because they are always making it better.

Forums like this are invaluable to manufactures. They can get feedback not just from existing customers, but also potential customers on the direction and features to work on. I think many of these comments should be welcomed as they help make Tesla a better and stronger company.

Of course, not every forum member is a potential customer and not every complain is legit.

Model X is the first release of a new model. Would be totally proper and acceptable to see the company enhance their offering over time, just as most every other product strives to achieve.

Tesla decided to mount their seats on pedestals to provide additional foot space in front, and additional storage space underneath.

I believe it is a fantastic idea to allow each occupant to have a personal storage space underneath their own seat to store items. No need to pile them in the back, frunk or on the seat beside them. Just as airlines provide personal storage under the seat in front of them, this gives each occupant access to their own items during transit with no need to crawl into the rear storage area to grab a needed item. Seems like genius to me.

Also Tesla is offering a two seat middle seat configuration. This will allow larger items to simply be slid in from the rear. Much easier than folding down all the seats the way other SUV's configure.Great for skis, surfboards, bikes, wake boards, or even an apartment sized Christmas tree.

If, by target audience, you mean "the vocal detractors on TMC." Or perhaps you have some other market research to validate this assertion?

I would make a similarly baseless assertion that Tesla has done research and understands that a relatively low percentage of users really care about folding second-row seats, so they made a differentiator.
So then how do you deal with the 6 seat option then? When pressed why they suddenly offered this by a Sig configurator, the Tesla person stated it was in response to all the concerns that they had been seeing on the forums of not having the ability to store longer objects in the car.

Based on your statement Tesla would have never done this because all of their market research and design work told them that an insignificant amount of potential buyers would want such a feature. And in fact it appears that many, if not most current buyers, have opted or are seriously considering the 6 seat option.

And I want to point out to you that if you had your way, all of the negative comments about utility and being able to store longer items in the Model X would have never happened. Thus there would be no 6 seat option and many of the current buyers would not have the best car they could have. And some of these 6 seat buyers were comments just like you. I find that disingenuous.

Six Seat Test Ride Experience on 9/29 in Row Two

It's very apparent to me that Tesla had the 6 seat option all along designed for the Chinese market where most people ride in the second row and have a driver. That's what my family experienced when we were in Shanghai in May courtesy of my brother-in-law who loaned us his BMW and driver when he was home in Taiwan.

I think what happened here was Tesla read the feedback and offered the 6-seat configuration to us in the USA, too. It's as simple as that.

6 vs. 7 seats is the only thing I was still on the fence config-wise. Therefore, I rode in the only 6-seat configuration second row available on 9/29. I thought it's fantastic. Yes, it feels like business class seating compared to riding coach in the 3-seat second row.

Inside Elon's founder #1, I discovered that the 3 seat design does have a pull down armrest that is hidden in the middle seat, which works well for what it is. However, the center console in the middle of the two seats functions as both an armrest, and there is a spacious storage space underneath the cover. I asked and was told the 2nd row center console is easily removable, but didn't get a chance to try that or watch a TSLA employee do it.

I shot extensive 3D/2D video of the 6-seater's second row that I'll try to upload tonight to Youtube and link to the 6 seater threads. I don't have time to edit anything, so I'm going to post everything I captured with the MM:SS to the interesting parts.

After the experience on 9/29, we've decided to definitely order the six seat configuration. I think it only makes sense to get 7 if you need that many seats. Also remember that head room is more limited in the middle seat when you have 7 to about a 5' 11" tall person.

So then how do you deal with the 6 seat option then? When pressed why they suddenly offered this by a Sig configurator, the Tesla person stated it was in response to all the concerns that they had been seeing on the forums of not having the ability to store longer objects in the car.

Based on your statement Tesla would have never done this because all of their market research and design work told them that an insignificant amount of potential buyers would want such a feature. And in fact it appears that many, if not most current buyers, have opted or are seriously considering the 6 seat option.

And I want to point out to you that if you had your way, all of the negative comments about utility and being able to store longer items in the Model X would have never happened. Thus there would be no 6 seat option and many of the current buyers would not have the best car they could have. And some of these 6 seat buyers were comments just like you. I find that disingenuous.

Thanks for that report Engle. We're still deciding what to do with our reservation, but should we stick, 6 v 7 is still on the table. Would you say that for every day uses when you don't need that 7th seat, keeping the armrests down in the second row helps return the outside seats to the "Business Class" level you felt in the 6 seater?