Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you buying sigs a "plus" model might be coming later...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that report Engle. We're still deciding what to do with our reservation, but should we stick, 6 v 7 is still on the table. Would you say that for every day uses when you don't need that 7th seat, keeping the armrests down in the second row helps return the outside seats to the "Business Class" level you felt in the 6 seater?

When I sat in Elon's 7-seater second row outside white leather seat, the seat and headrest support still felt very luxurious. It provides a very modern, futuristic impression. I don't think any other seating available today is at this level. Tesla has raised the bar. When you keep the armrest down, you do get more of a "Business Class" level. You have 2 USB ports directly in front of you at the back of the first row console, along with 2 cupholders there, too. There is a side pocket in the Falcon Wing door. I placed my fight on either side of the pedestal supporting the front passenger seat and this was very comfortable.

That said, I wish I had measured the seat width of outer 2 seats in 3 config, and the seat in the 2 config for comparison. Business class seats on airplanes are wider than coach, but perhaps that doesn't make sense in the X since your body would slide back and forth in S curves?

Last edited:
Given 50% of the X is shared platform with the S, I don't see the cause for concern. Either you need/want this particular car, or not. None of these early adopter bugaboos are deal breakers. I think Tesla could have handled the Insane-Ludicrous situation better, but other hardware retrofits are either price-tagged or free. The only issue to delay my click on the order button will be confidence that the car has all the hardware to fly Autopilot.
Except it's not that much. I think Elon said it was more like 30% or less in the last earnings call.

... For the Model 3 cross over, which will be a smaller car that the X, maybe the need of cargo volume will obligate Tesla to do folding seats like in the Model S, but I'm not convinced that they will not be able to retain the Falcon Doors, unless to price reasons.
For me, it's almost as Tesla could retain the rear Falcon doors for all future SUVs and Cross-Overs (and Roadster 3.0), and the regulars doors for Sedans, Wagons or Pickup/trucks.

Well, one of the last twits of Elon Musk seems confirm my intuition of the cross-over version of Model 3, now called Model Y, will have Falcon doors. In this case, I agree that a smaller car than Model X will absolutely need folding second seats for cargo purposes, at least as an option.