Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you considering a DIY Ceramic Coating.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you considering a DIY ceramic coating, I just tried Gyeon Cancoat Evo for the first time today and I highly recommend it.

Gyeon Cancoat Evo is a "light" coating, meaning that is designed to be super easy to apply and is a bit forgiving compared to other coatings. More specifically, you can just wipe it on and wipe it off. You don't have to wait 1-3 minutes for the coating to flash before wiping it off. And if you accidentally leave a high spot, you can either just wipe it off or you just apply a little bit more Cancoat and then the high spot wipes off. The trade off is that it is not as durable as some other coatings that are more time consuming and challenging to apply. But it will still last 12-18 months. Given how easy it is to apply, I don't mind the fact that it doesn't last 3-5 years. Plus, like all the coatings in Gyeon's new Evo line, Cancoat Evo can be applied outside (just make sure to apply it in the shade).

I just applied Cancoat Evo to our 8-year old Honda Accord. It has definitely added noticeable gloss and shine. And the hydrophobics are supposed to be among the very best.

I plan on applying Cancoat Evo to my 2018 Tesla P3D as well.

Here is how it looks on our 2014 Honda Accord. I love how you can see the reflection of the grass and side walk in the car's paint. Keep in mind this car is 8 years old and is parked outside 24/7:

IMG_4035.jpg

For those of you considering a DIY ceramic coating, I just tried Gyeon Cancoat Evo for the first time today and I highly recommend it.

Gyeon Cancoat Evo is a "light" coating, meaning that is designed to be super easy to apply and is a bit forgiving compared to other coatings. More specifically, you can just wipe it on and wipe it off. You don't have to wait 1-3 minutes for the coating to flash before wiping it off. And if you accidentally leave a high spot, you can either just wipe it off or you just apply a little bit more Cancoat and then the high spot wipes off. The trade off is that it is not as durable as some other coatings that are more time consuming and challenging to apply. But it will still last 12-18 months. Given how easy it is to apply, I don't mind the fact that it doesn't last 3-5 years. Plus, like all the coatings in Gyeon's new Evo line, Cancoat Evo can be applied outside (just make sure to apply it in the shade).

I just applied Cancoat Evo to our 8-year old Honda Accord. It has definitely added noticeable gloss and shine. And the hydrophobics are supposed to be among the very best.

I plan on applying Cancoat Evo to my 2018 Tesla P3D as well.

Here is how it looks on our 2014 Honda Accord. I love how you can see the reflection of the grass and side walk in the car's paint. Keep in mind this car is 8 years old and is parked outside 24/7:

View attachment 832328
how did it go with the tesla coating?

Why did you not use the Can Coat on the Tesla? Any specific reason? I was thinking about using it when I finally get mine.

There are three reasons. First, the Cancoat Evo, like many ceramic coatings, has a fairly strong "chemical" smell. My Tesla has a whole-car Xpel PPF and I wasn't 100% sure the Cancoat Evo was safe for PPF. Gyeon claims that Cancoat is safe for PPF, but given the strong chemical smell, I was concerned that Cancoat might contain petroleum distillates, which you should avoid applying to PPF. Second, I have quite a bit of GG 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax left and want to use it up. Third, I really enjoy using the GG 3-in-1 Wax and don't mind reapplying it once every 3 to 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: 42M3 and Adam3
There are three reasons. First, the Cancoat Evo, like many ceramic coatings, has a fairly strong "chemical" smell. My Tesla has a whole-car Xpel PPF and I wasn't 100% sure the Cancoat Evo was safe for PPF. Gyeon claims that Cancoat is safe for PPF, but given the strong chemical smell, I was concerned that Cancoat might contain petroleum distillates, which you should avoid applying to PPF. Second, I have quite a bit of GG 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax left and want to use it up. Third, I really enjoy using the GG 3-in-1 Wax and don't mind reapplying it once every 3 to 6 months.
Thanks for the information. Just to let you know in case you want to use it in the future, Can Coat is 100% safe on PPF from what I have researched and seen people applying it. Have you had any issues with coatings that are hydrophobic on the windshield? I ask because today I was looking at the manual and saw this warning.

""To add a hydrophobic coating to your vehicle's windows, apply the coating only to the side and rear windows, not the front windshield—doing so may affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras. Follow the hydrophobic coating manufacturer’s instructions for application details.""

Reactions: joebruin77
Thanks for the information. Just to let you know in case you want to use it in the future, Can Coat is 100% safe on PPF from what I have researched and seen people applying it. Have you had any issues with coatings that are hydrophobic on the windshield? I ask because today I was looking at the manual and saw this warning.

""To add a hydrophobic coating to your vehicle's windows, apply the coating only to the side and rear windows, not the front windshield—doing so may affect the visibility of the autopilot cameras. Follow the hydrophobic coating manufacturer’s instructions for application details.""

I agree, Cancoat is probably safe for PPF. But I am very careful about what I put on my PPF since I hope it will last 8 to 10 years. Before applying any product to my PPF, I usually check the Safety Data Sheet to see if it contains any petroleum distillates. I once was interested in a car wax made by another company that the manufacturer said was safe for PPF, but after reviewing the SDS, it was clearly not safe for PPF. I may still use Cancoat on my PPF eventually, but I would want to first do some research about its petroleum distillate content.

As for your question about the windshield, I have not personally applied a ceramic coating to the windshield. My guess is that as long as you are careful to fully remove the coating and not leave any high spots after application, your camera should be fine. While I have not used a ceramic coating, I have used a ceramic-infused detail sprays and toppers on the windshiled with no issues with the cameras at all. The two ceramic products I have used on the windshield are Technicians Choice Ceramic Detail Spray and Xtreme Solutions Topper. If the car is going at least 40mph, the water just beads off the windshield and I do not have to use my wipers.

Reactions: 42M3