Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

for those of you receive winter protection kit for model 3, did you install splash guard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got the free winter protection kit from Tesla service in Toronto Lawrence location last week. They only install mud flap for the front tires. They left the splash guard in my trunk. I texted them back and asked why splash guard was not installed. They said splash guards will sit very low on the car and prone for rubbing over speed bumps. My questions for those of you received Tesla winter protection kit:

Did you install splash guard?

Did you only receive mud flap and splash guard for front tires? Did you leave rear tire alone?

thank you.

I have a thread about this. When I was at Tesla Lawrence last week I asked them about the splash guards. They told me "yeah, we have started to install the splash guards as well. No, they don't sit that low".
They were definitively wrong about that. The splash guards sit about an inch or 2 above the road and I must have dragged them on every driveway lip, pothole and bump on my drive from TL down to work.
I was seriously considering taking them off - but instead, I took a pair of scissors and trimmed a couple of inches off the bottom of both sides. Haven't scraped since.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother installing them at all and would just do the small mud flaps.

• Helpful
Reactions: M109Rider
I have a thread about this. When I was at Tesla Lawrence last week I asked them about the splash guards. They told me "yeah, we have started to install the splash guards as well. No, they don't sit that low".
They were definitively wrong about that. The splash guards sit about an inch or 2 above the road and I must have dragged them on every driveway lip, pothole and bump on my drive from TL down to work.
I was seriously considering taking them off - but instead, I took a pair of scissors and trimmed a couple of inches off the bottom of both sides. Haven't scraped since.
If I were to do it again, I wouldn't bother installing them at all and would just do the small mud flaps.
Any chance you can post a pic of the splash guards please?

this is the brand new splash guard that comes with the protection kit service left in my trunk. I guess Toronto Lawrence service starts to hear complaints about bumpy splash guard and did not install for it form.

Btw, did you guys only get the protection kits for front tires ?

20200112_161626 (1).jpg

Only front. I was waiting in the waiting room and the service guy came over to me and asked me specifically if I wanted to install the additional splash guards. I had thought that people were not installing them, so I asked the service guy whether or not they were installing them as a matter of course, and he told me that initially when they first came out, they were only installing the smaller mud guards, and leaving the other set in the trunk but now (so he said) they had begun installing both sets.

As noted, I would (personally) not install them, or cut them down a good 3 inches (at least) before installing them.

One of the mobile tech's came by the house today and did the installation for us. He recommended not installing the longer part, and I'd agree, it would be too long.

You can always add or trim and add the additional splash guards if you find it necessary. Or trim and add them.

Also, using the adhesive tape is probably not required as they both clip and are held by screws.

For those of you who may be curious, the metal retaining clips that get installed to hold the assembly are factory galvanized.

One of the mobile tech's came by the house today and did the installation for us. He recommended not installing the longer part, and I'd agree, it would be too long.

You can always add or trim and add the additional splash guards if you find it necessary. Or trim and add them.

Also, using the adhesive tape is probably not required as they both clip and are held by screws.

For those of you who may be curious, the metal retaining clips that get installed to hold the assembly are factory galvanized.

How much was the installation charges by mobile unit?

So I got the free winter protection kit from Tesla service in Toronto Lawrence location last week. They only install mud flap for the front tires. They left the splash guard in my trunk. I texted them back and asked why splash guard was not installed. They said splash guards will sit very low on the car and prone for rubbing over speed bumps. My questions for those of you received Tesla winter protection kit:

Did you install splash guard?

Did you only receive mud flap and splash guard for front tires? Did you leave rear tire alone?

thank you.
Installed splash guards on front also and then took them off, ridiculously long, rubbing all the time on the ground on bumps etc.
Just have the fronts on and am .

How much was the installation charges by mobile unit?

$87 by the mobile tech. It's $26 cheaper at the service centre + travel time. As far as I'm concerned, the tech was outstanding and deserved every penny for dealing with our cramped conditions and -2C with snow conditions.

He was also happy to sell me a set of cabin filters that I'll install when the nicer weather comes along. Answered a bunch of questions about the cars, super friendly. Two thumbs up.

If you're doing it yourself, pre-thread the bolts into the clips before installing them. They were definitely tight and torquing them while you are fumbling in the wheel well seems like a PITA.

• Informative
Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Installed splash guards on front also and then took them off, ridiculously long, rubbing all the time on the ground on bumps etc.
Just have the fronts on and am .

Was it a problem to take them off after installing? It looks like there is one set of screws (and the double sided tape?) which holds the splash guards and the smaller mud guards to the car wheel well. I am concerned that if I remove the screws to remove the splash guards it will impact the mud guards and make it difficult to "re-install" the mud guards.

?

I picked mine up but did not install them because of many saying they hang too low, also some showing how dirt and stuff gets caught behind them. Not a good design. Have seen aftermarket ones installed on other TM3s and they are definitively better in design and fit. Here in Toronto Tesla charges $25 for the installation of the mud flaps and an extra $10 for the splash guards. I assisted someone putting them on and it's quite easy to do it yourself if you choose to install them afterall.

I picked mine up but did not install them because of many saying they hang too low, also some showing how dirt and stuff gets caught behind them. Not a good design. Have seen aftermarket ones installed on other TM3s and they are definitively better in design and fit. Here in Toronto Tesla charges $25 for the installation of the mud flaps and an extra $10 for the splash guards. I assisted someone putting them on and it's quite easy to do it yourself if you choose to install them afterall.

The installation kit allows for two lengths to be installed, and the longer piece can be trimmed if you want. It's a good kit, and very flexible.

Was it a problem to take them off after installing? It looks like there is one set of screws (and the double sided tape?) which holds the splash guards and the smaller mud guards to the car wheel well. I am concerned that if I remove the screws to remove the splash guards it will impact the mud guards and make it difficult to "re-install" the mud guards.

?
My garage did it, as he had put them on with the snows. Took him just a few minutes..but he is a pro .

Unfortunately the design isn't good for harsh conditions as in Quebec here. The rubber flap got unglued at the top, crap accumulates in there. The hole in the wheel well close to the panel stays open and crap gets in there too. The screws would probably rust in the winter and be impossible to remove in the spring. I had them 3 weeks and took everything off in favor of evmudflaps. It's too bsd, the look of a molded flap was nice to the eyes.